Lowest Point This Century - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowest Point This Century

kumnio

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, adamntg said:

Jordan Rhodes isn't the messiah?

Don't think people ever said he was. People, myself included think his goalscoring record deserves a decent run in the squad and some proper game time, same as Chris Martin gets. But aye, he missed a good opportunity with his only chance in his only 25 minutes in the last two years, back to the drawing board.

7 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Don't think people ever said he was. People, myself included think his goalscoring record deserves a decent run in the squad and some proper game time, same as Chris Martin gets. But aye, he missed a good opportunity with his only chance in his only 25 minutes in the last two years, back to the drawing board.

Spot on. 

Failure to qualify for Euro 16 was a hammer blow. Watching England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland made it ever worse. 

We've had 3 poor managers in a row now and there is very little confidence a change would improve things. We'd almost certainly end up with Coyle or Davies or some other manager that used to be half decent but is now so far behind the times that they can't hold on to a job for more than a season.

We have some half decent players but we have far more players that have failed to get anywhere near the standard that was hoped they might reach. 

We are all very aware that the SFA have a strategy to squeeze as much money as they can from the fans and it looks like they are getting close to getting their lot.

It is going to take something special to get folk to renew their SSC membership in 9 months. 

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Failure to qualify for Euro 16 was a hammer blow. Watching England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland made it ever worse. 

We've had 3 poor managers in a row now and there is very little confidence a change would improve things. We'd almost certainly end up with Coyle or Davies or some other manager that used to be half decent but is now so far behind the times that they can't hold on to a job for more than a season.

We have some half decent players but we have far more players that have failed to get anywhere near the standard that was hoped they might reach. 

We are all very aware that the SFA have a strategy to squeeze as much money as they can from the fans and it looks like they are getting close to getting their lot.

It is going to take something special to get folk to renew their SSC membership in 9 months. 

Sums things up for me perfectly. 

52 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

This

8 hours ago, ShedTA said:

And my point being there is zero chance of sfa change if we continue turning up in our tens of thousands every game.

(NI fan in peace)

As someone who has followed NI for decades now, I have experienced (more than) my share of "lows" along the way. And I certainly know what it's like to suffer at the hands of an incorrigibly inept National Association

But I must say I'm shocked to see how incredibly disheartened Scottish fans seem to be just now.

Anyhow, with regard to ShedTA's specific point, whilst his/hers is a perfectly natural reaction, I have to ask, if thousands more fans were to boycott the games, does anyone think that the SFA will suddenly say: "Do you know, those fans must all be right, we don't know what we're doing, so let's all resign and give people who know what they're doing a go"?

I think we all know the answer to that one!

Which must be cold comfort of course, except that our wee team is doing all right just now, at the time when the IFA are no better than they ever were (and I suspect that the SFA are hardly much worse than they've often been, either).

Which leaves my simple prescription - get a better manager, as we (somehow) managed to do in the Blessed Michael O'Neill.

Of course, it would be so much better if such a manager were to prosper (partly) because of the support he gets from his employers, but if he has to do so despite it, then so be it - it can be done!

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah, Willie Miller is a top bloke....

Having met him over a dozen times, I would say he is. Magnificent player, and a decent guy.

It has fuqk all relevance to this thread though.

31 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

(NI fan in peace)

As someone who has followed NI for decades now, I have experienced (more than) my share of "lows" along the way. And I certainly know what it's like to suffer at the hands of an incorrigibly inept National Association

But I must say I'm shocked to see how incredibly disheartened Scottish fans seem to be just now.

Anyhow, with regard to ShedTA's specific point, whilst his/hers is a perfectly natural reaction, I have to ask, if thousands more fans were to boycott the games, does anyone think that the SFA will suddenly say: "Do you know, those fans must all be right, we don't know what we're doing, so let's all resign and give people who know what they're doing a go"?

I think we all know the answer to that one!

Which must be cold comfort of course, except that our wee team is doing all right just now, at the time when the IFA are no better than they ever were (and I suspect that the SFA are hardly much worse than they've often been, either).

Which leaves my simple prescription - get a better manager, as we (somehow) managed to do in the Blessed Michael O'Neill.

Of course, it would be so much better if such a manager were to prosper (partly) because of the support he gets from his employers, but if he has to do so despite it, then so be it - it can be done!

No, you're right - of course they wouldn't.  They'd up the ticket prices for the numbers they think will go to compensate for any lost revenue.  The SSC member/Scotland fan is a cash cow and has been for some time.  We're getting our udders well and truly stroked.

Partly my fault.  I'm going on Sunday and really wish to fk I wasn't.

I rarely post anything in this section as I have even less to say than I do in the 'anything goes' section, and that really is saying something. And of course this post  will be no different. 

However I have noticed  that no matter how promising a thread starts it quickly descends into the following:

We are shite.

Its the players' fault.

No its not.

its the managers fault.

No its not.

Its the happy clappers fault get them tae fook.

No its not, we just want a day oot.

Its the Sfa's fault. 

General agreement. 

And back to the start again 

We are shite

Its the players fault

No its not

Its the managers fault 

And so on....

Occasionally we have a wee diversion when one of our well meaning Irish friends pops in to say it will all be ok in the morning and that they were as shite as us once but they are all better now and so will we. 

As you were ....   

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm not sure its as simple as 3 poor managers... they 3 you mention (assuming you are not including Stark), have been in charge over the past 10 years.  The other way of looking at it is that over the past 10 years the quality of player at our disposal has dropped significantly.  Strachan's win ratio is fairly decent.  I think the reality is somewhere in between.  I don't think Strachan is a bad manager, I don't think he is great either.  Personally I would have Wattie or big Eck back in a heartbeat, but I don't think either would take it.

Low, but not the lowest. Burley's permanent chaos, Levein in Prague, getting gubbed by Wales with Robert Earnshaw up top were far more painful for me. It's too late in the campaign to bin Strachan now. The peak of Strachan's momentum was at the midway point of the last campaign pre Ireland in Dublin, since then its been a bit pish. Let's see where Sunday takes us. I'm excited to see Armstrong on Sunday and intrigued to see a few others if we play an attacking formation. 

I am also the most optimistic human being on planet earth. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I'm not sure its as simple as 3 poor managers... they...   ... have been in charge over the past 10 years.  The other way of looking at it is that over the past 10 years the quality of player at our disposal has dropped significantly.

No doubt there are many other factors in play. And no doubt you don't have the wealth of talent of former years.

But as regards the quality of player presently at your disposal, just take a look at what Michael O'Neill has to work with for our next game:

Northern Ireland squad: M McGovern (Norwich), A Mannus (St Johnstone), R Carroll (Linfield), G McAuley, J Evans (both West Brom), A Hughes (Hearts), C Cathcart (Watford), C McLaughlin (Fleetwood), L Hodson (Rangers), T Flanagan (Burton), R McLaughlin (Oldham), C Brunt (West Brom), S Davis (Southampton), N McGinn (Aberdeen), O Norwood (Brighton), C Evans (Blackburn), J Ward (Nottingham Forest), S Dallas (Leeds), M Lund (Rochdale),P Paton (St Johnstone), K Lafferty (Norwich), J Magennis (Charlton), C Washington (QPR), L Boyce (Ross County).

This is basically the same squad which got us to Euro2016 and has made a decent start to World Cup2018. And Scottish fans are doubtless familiar with quite a few of them (bold).

How many of our squad would get into a joint Scots/N.Irish 23-man squad?  Seven or eight?

Edited by AwayInAManger

32 minutes ago, Leiper said:

Low, but not the lowest. Burley's permanent chaos, Levein in Prague, getting gubbed by Wales with Robert Earnshaw up top were far more painful for me. It's too late in the campaign to bin Strachan now. The peak of Strachan's momentum was at the midway point of the last campaign pre Ireland in Dublin, since then its been a bit pish. Let's see where Sunday takes us. I'm excited to see Armstrong on Sunday and intrigued to see a few others if we play an attacking formation. 

I am also the most optimistic human being on planet earth. 

You are m8, fair play to you ?

7 hours ago, AwayInAManger said:

No doubt there are many other factors in play. And no doubt you don't have the wealth of talent of former years.

But as regards the quality of player presently at your disposal, just take a look at what Michael O'Neill has to work with for our next game:

Northern Ireland squad: M McGovern (Norwich), A Mannus (St Johnstone), R Carroll (Linfield), G McAuley, J Evans (both West Brom), A Hughes (Hearts), C Cathcart (Watford), C McLaughlin (Fleetwood), L Hodson (Rangers), T Flanagan (Burton), R McLaughlin (Oldham), C Brunt (West Brom), S Davis (Southampton), N McGinn (Aberdeen), O Norwood (Brighton), C Evans (Blackburn), J Ward (Nottingham Forest), S Dallas (Leeds), M Lund (Rochdale),P Paton (St Johnstone), K Lafferty (Norwich), J Magennis (Charlton), C Washington (QPR), L Boyce (Ross County).

This is basically the same squad which got us to Euro2016 and has made a decent start to World Cup2018. And Scottish fans are doubtless familiar with quite a few of them (bold).

How many of our squad would get into a joint Scots/N.Irish 23-man squad?  Seven or eight?

We would take them though .  In the last 2 and a half years the only teams we have beaten in competitive  games are Gibraltar and Malta. It's not looking good for Sunday or the rest of this campaign if I'm honest 

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I'm not sure its as simple as 3 poor managers... they 3 you mention (assuming you are not including Stark), have been in charge over the past 10 years.  The other way of looking at it is that over the past 10 years the quality of player at our disposal has dropped significantly.  Strachan's win ratio is fairly decent.  I think the reality is somewhere in between.  I don't think Strachan is a bad manager, I don't think he is great either.  Personally I would have Wattie or big Eck back in a heartbeat, but I don't think either would take it.

In games that actually matter - (competitive games when we still had a chance of qualifying) he has only managed to beat Georgia, Gibraltar, Malta and ROI. A grand total of 5 games.

17 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

I was only joking.  I think he's worth a run.

If we all agree that the Scottish quality is poor at the moment, what the fook is being done about it?!?

Tactically, play simple and players in correct positions. Be difficult to beat, no offence (and this is as much a dog at Hibs) but set out team out like teams that play against Hibs. Banks of 4 and hit on the break. Work hard for each other, know your job, and do your job). Take a risk, play players that may not look good on paper but would run through walls for Scotland (I'm thinking defence) I refuse to believe that Anya, Berra, Hanley and Wallace are the only options. One isn't even a defender FFS!

Strategy

There is something systemic and goes right to the SFAs front door. They are the custodians of the game in Scotland. They set the policy and strategy. Is there a 30 year vision, are we moving to wards that across the board in a measurable way. Do we structure our leagues to support that vision?

Until we recognise and act on that there's no point really. We might get lucky once and a while with a Gareth Bale type player, but we should see him as a bonus, not the cornerstone of a strategy.

Times have changed, kids don't do as much sport, parents have other things that get in the way, funding is being cut. We collectively need to hit reset, if not get used to being tinpot and having some qualifiers for us to embarrass ourselves, because as a team we are going nowhere.

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ah, thanks. At least Ormonds post didnt include a pineapple as well ?

I would imagine if as the title of this thread suggests  "being at the lowest point"  then watching some Japanese guy in pyjama's doing  some song about a pen and a pineapple - would drive most to swinging a rope over the nearest tree.

FFS !!!!!!!!!!