Lowest Point This Century - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowest Point This Century

kumnio

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Leiper said:

Let's see where Sunday takes us. I'm excited to see Armstrong on Sunday and intrigued to see a few others if we play an attacking formation. 

I am also the most optimistic human being on planet earth. 

My optimism left after the Lithuania draw, just due to the fact that Strachan has only been making noises recently (when we're virtually out), that he's going to change things and personnel about.  If we then go on a decent run, that will still ultimately see us out, GS will then have another campaign as the SFA couldn't sack him 

20 hours ago, AwayInAManger said:

No doubt there are many other factors in play. And no doubt you don't have the wealth of talent of former years.

But as regards the quality of player presently at your disposal, just take a look at what Michael O'Neill has to work with for our next game:

Northern Ireland squad: M McGovern (Norwich), A Mannus (St Johnstone), R Carroll (Linfield), G McAuley, J Evans (both West Brom), A Hughes (Hearts), C Cathcart (Watford), C McLaughlin (Fleetwood), L Hodson (Rangers), T Flanagan (Burton), R McLaughlin (Oldham), C Brunt (West Brom), S Davis (Southampton), N McGinn (Aberdeen), O Norwood (Brighton), C Evans (Blackburn), J Ward (Nottingham Forest), S Dallas (Leeds), M Lund (Rochdale),P Paton (St Johnstone), K Lafferty (Norwich), J Magennis (Charlton), C Washington (QPR), L Boyce (Ross County).

This is basically the same squad which got us to Euro2016 and has made a decent start to World Cup2018. And Scottish fans are doubtless familiar with quite a few of them (bold).

How many of our squad would get into a joint Scots/N.Irish 23-man squad?  Seven or eight?

Great to see how many non Old firm, SPL players you have in there #thumbsup

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, adamntg said:

When was that 2-2 draw with the Faroes? Or the 4-0 pumping from Wales?  Or the 6-0 from the Netherlands?

Or that 3-0 at home to Hungary?

There's been some bad times this century so far, not sure this is the worst at all. 

the 6-0 pumping was in a play off for euro 2004.

Our second and last play off appearance, the first in 99

it's now 2017 and we are 5th in a group behind Lithuania, with 9,000 people turning up to watch us

this is the worst we have been since association football was formed, let alone this century

I went ten years and missed only one home game and travelled to many away games.  It has been a dismal slide for years now. I have not renewed my membership and cant see myself doing so next year either. It is the worst I have ever seen. I am working tomorrow night, whereas before I would have checked ALL the fixtures well in advance and made plans to go to the game. I, like a previous poster, only realised we were playing this week a few days ago.  When I saw I was working, I was not bothered. Before, I would have pulled out all the stops to swap the shift. It saddens me to have lost the enthusiasm and joy I once had watching Scotland.  When a Falkirk player can dance through an international defence with ease like Aird did on Wednesday, it bodes poorly for the future. We will get beat tomorrow and I am glad my money no longer goes towards the dross we are suffering.

A year ago we won in Prague & I thought there were a few promising signs after the Euro 16 failure. Move on a year & after being in Metz & Trnava in particular I have lost all interest now. My son who is 11 has been to over 10 away games with me doesn't want to go anymore either. The Lithuania game was the first home qualifier I missed in about 25 years. Normally would have be all booked up for remaining away games but just not bothered now & probably wont renew my SSC. 

On 22/03/2017 at 10:33 PM, kumnio said:

IMO we are at the lowest point that I can recall, worse than anything even Levein managed. Its dreadful following the national side right now.

I hope the SFA take note of the crowd tonight, and no doubt on Sunday. Strachan has killed all enthusiasm, he needs to go, regardless of the utter shite we will get at the weekend. Happy clappers can clap on, the rest of us have had enough.

Totally agree. Didn't miss a home game for more than ten years, been away a dozen times or more, but didn't even watch on Wednesday and haven't seen highlights. Just don't care, Strachan has sapped all my enthusiasm. Can barely bring myself to watch on telly tonight, for a game that ordinarily id have had a season ticket for. 

Agree with the last few posts and most of the thread.

It's probably all built up through the past TWENTY years, but I just cannot get excited about the national team. We're not asking to always qualify or even qualify! Just a team that actually can pass a ball, defend, and have a shot on target and we cannot even seem to do that. I used to blindly follow the team and this week would have been a week of excitement, planning, songs/old clips, and the game, but when you are getting next to nothing back from them how can you enjoy it. 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'. 

I only watched the game on Wednesday because it was on bet365's website. And it only validated reasons for having next to no interest.

The incompetence involved as well. "Strachan is doing a good job", the Largs and pundit mafia, the getting absolutely nothing in return for what is being offered, the shambolic SFA emptying your pockets for utter dross and still being what seems like decades behind national teams with smaller resources. 

Just look at our away record! Probably similar to the Faroes, Liechtenstein! Any side higher than us we are guaranteed 0pts.

The SFA don't deserve your loyalty or money, but good luck to you if you do go.

We are an irrelevance in footballing terms. A bit like Moldova, Belarus, Latvia - won't be qualifying any time soon, and not surprised when you check livescore and see they managed a 1-1 draw with Cyprus or that they got cuffed 4-0 by Sweden.

Edited by weekevie04

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, romanticscot said:

I want a Tartan army legend, someone accomplished who the players want to impress and with a good reputation within the game.....One name I'll throw in who meets that.. Maradona

I would applaud that just for the joy of seeing the responses from Lineker, Shearer etc...

3 minutes ago, giblet said:

Not there tonight for first time in I've 10 years. By the looks of it a lot of people in same boat.

Yep, apart from! When i was living in Canada I've been going since 2002

On 24/03/2017 at 8:13 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Great to see how many non Old firm, SPL players you have in there #thumbsup

Actually I forgot to highlight Steven Davis.

And as it happens, Mannus was on the bench (obviously), Hughes withdrew injured, Hodson didn't feature, McGinn came on with 10 mins remaining, Paton didn't feature, Lafferty came on with 5 mins remaining, Magennis withdrew injured [though I personally think would have started] and Boyce didn't feature.

Meanwhile, McGovern had virtually nothing to do, except one superb save from a free kick, and Davis was MOTM. Again.

God how we all love that little genius!

Anyhow to return to my original point, although Scotland/Strachan reportedly did well on Sunday, I still think someone like Michael O'Neill could make a team out of your squad. I mean, against Norway it was "just another regulation win".

What the Hell is happening to us? :lol:

Edited by AwayInAManger