McLeish for next manager - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McLeish for next manager

Bino's

12 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

FFS on an eve of a big game we need to win and the chat is who should replace WGS.. how about getting behind the team and the manager, being optimistic that we will get the 3 points and get us back in the mix for this group again.. a run of good results could start with a good win tomorrow then who know.. this squad with WGS at the helm is capable of winning in slovenia and Lithuania and at home against all in group, probably apart from them down south.

But we all need to keep faith get behind the team and lets see what happens..FFS guys we are behind in group but not out of it..we have had one shocking result at home and expected losses away albeit with shocking defensive performances, but things can turn around quickly in football. 

Time for the tartan army to show we are the fans we fecking claim to be.

Rant over

Hopefully we win and Strachan gets sacked.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

.. this squad with WGS at the helm is capable of winning in slovenia and Lithuania and at home against all in group, probably apart from them down south.

utterly deluded

Hopefully WGS still in a job on Monday which means we have won on Sunday. That is the only thing that concerns me at the moment. Lose or draw yes he must go.

2 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

FFS on an eve of a big game we need to win and the chat is who should replace WGS.. how about getting behind the team and the manager, being optimistic that we will get the 3 points and get us back in the mix for this group again.. a run of good results could start with a good win tomorrow then who know.. this squad with WGS at the helm is capable of winning in slovenia and Lithuania and at home against all in group, probably apart from them down south.

But we all need to keep faith get behind the team and lets see what happens..FFS guys we are behind in group but not out of it..we have had one shocking result at home and expected losses away albeit with shocking defensive performances, but things can turn around quickly in football. 

Rant over

Spot on Pecker, things can change quickly in football, look at republic when we beat them last campaign looked doomed and then .......

But don't let the football get in the way of the only here for the party boys (but seems like the troops are starting to desert the trenches, the army is in disarray, maybe a good thing and get  a real support that want a winning team on the park, rather than all the heroes fighting the good fight everywhere they go, win lose or draw !! F..k the score)

And on topic McLeish or Wattie, ten men behind the ball and a bit of luck springs to mind, but then again a wins a win

Sorry but I fully understand the apathy around just now. We are on our bellies just now and absolutely no sign of positivity on the horizon. Fans have stuck by the side through the worst period in our history so it is only natural that many are so down and so negative. Remember that positivity breeds positivity and the fans have been fed no positivity whatsoever for so long now.

5 hours ago, Malfaetheburgh said:

Spot on Pecker, things can change quickly in football, look at republic when we beat them last campaign looked doomed and then .......

But don't let the football get in the way of the only here for the party boys (but seems like the troops are starting to desert the trenches, the army is in disarray, maybe a good thing and get  a real support that want a winning team on the park, rather than all the heroes fighting the good fight everywhere they go, win lose or draw !! F..k the score)

And on topic McLeish or Wattie, ten men behind the ball and a bit of luck springs to mind, but then again a wins a win

The football is what's driving the support away. We haven't beaten anyone bar the minnows in a real game in years. 

Strachan continually picks the same failures over and over again but expects better results. That my friend is the definition of madness. 

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have been here before with Burley and Levein dreaming of great things which a new manager would surely bring. Guess what? Nothing has changed.

You are right. It seems to make no difference who we bring in. Burley, Levein and now Strachan have all failed.  We just don't have players who are capable of defending or scoring.  Having said that, Tom English was talking about Michael O'Neill on the radio this week and how well he has done with Northern Ireland. The point he made was if a manager had to choose between managing N Ireland or Scotland, the choice should be Scotland because there are better players to choose from. If that's the case, then why are we not performing as well as Northern Ireland? Are our players pish or feart or something else? 

15 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Rant over

you should change your name to Howling Mad Murdock

4 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

You are right. It seems to make no difference who we bring in. Burley, Levein and now Strachan have all failed.  We just don't have players who are capable of defending or scoring.  Having said that, Tom English was talking about Michael O'Neill on the radio this week and how well he has done with Northern Ireland. The point he made was if a manager had to choose between managing N Ireland or Scotland, the choice should be Scotland because there are better players to choose from. If that's the case, then why are we not performing as well as Northern Ireland? Are our players pish or feart or something else? 

or why are we not asking n irelnds manager to be our manager

all of the above ended up being absolute basket cases

burley relationship broke down with virtually all the rangers players

levein refused to attack at all and by the ended was picking players to spite the fans/media

Strachan has stuck by proven failures for reason that no one, probably not even him anymore, can work out

all we want is a manager who will pick the obvious few players we do have into a sensible formation, attack at home, defend away ...and try and get the best out of them

like McLeish did and like O'Neil is

5 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

No I'd disagree with that. The Northern Ireland players are able to compete as a team, have had a few years of stability and confidence-building results and team morale is high. Exactly the opposite can be said of Scotland and if anything we have gone backwards in the last decade. Under McLeish our defense was more solid and we had a goalscorer with a decent eye for goal in Miller. We also had the likes of Fletcher plying his trade in the Champions League and likes of Celtic and Rangers players also getting Champions League experience. Those days are long gone now.

19 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

October 2013 was the last time we beat anyone of a similar standard or better at Hampden in a qualifier. That was Croatia when we were already out.

dead rubbers dont count

when was our last real good victory at Hampden

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I'd disagree with that. The Northern Ireland players are able to compete as a team, have had a few years of stability and confidence-building results and team morale is high. Exactly the opposite can be said of Scotland and if anything we have gone backwards in the last decade. Under McLeish our defense was more solid and we had a goalscorer with a decent eye for goal in Miller. We also had the likes of Fletcher plying his trade in the Champions League and likes of Celtic and Rangers players also getting Champions League experience. Those days are long gone now.

Miller as many guilt edged chances as he scored

our fabled back line included the awful Steven McManus and graham Alexander at left back as was best we could get

the managers at that time got better out of these types of guys than last three have

plus, to be fair, we had the talismanic faddy

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

Miller as many guilt edged chances as he scored

our fabled back line included the awful Steven McManus and graham Alexander at left back as was best we could get

the managers at that time got better out of these types of guys than last three have

plus, to be fair, we had the talismanic faddy

Stats don't lie. Miller is in our top five goalscorers of all-time I do believe. None of our current crop of strikers will get anywhere near that.

I still don't recall that defense being opened up as easily as it has been in recent years. Shambolic would describe our defending in recent years.

No as I said the manager then had perhaps 5 to 10 players playing quite regularly in the Champions League - now that number is below 5.

As for Faddy yes we had him which does emphasize how far we have fallen in terms of talent on offer.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Stats don't lie. Miller is in our top five goalscorers of all-time I do believe. None of our current crop of strikers will get anywhere near that.

I still don't recall that defense being opened up as easily as it has been in recent years. Shambolic would describe our defending in recent years.

No as I said the manager then had perhaps 5 to 10 players playing quite regularly in the Champions League - now that number is below 5.

As for Faddy yes we had him which does emphasize how far we have fallen in terms of talent on offer.

have to disagree

the squad is not that much different in talent

if all fit in attacking midfield have to choose from Forrest Burke Morrison Snodgrass cairney Fraser Ritchie Naismith Phillips G Boyd Arfield (if had ever bothered to cap him) Armstrong

previous managers never had that choice

as for stats Griffiths scored 40 goals last season and despite barely getting on the park has got to 14 this

but Strachan has never even really tried

awful manager

anyway, f*ck it, Mon Scotland today!!!

Sorry but lets cut the crap about Griffiths. He is now into double figures on caps and still yet to find the net. And please forget the tired old excuse about only getting fleeting chances. Look at Dougie Freedman - 2 caps 1 goal. If you are good enough you'll take the chances when they come. That is our problem (the fans I mean). Happy to settle for mediocrity pinning hopes on a striker who has yet to score for us in a dozen games. Sure he merits a start today because all other avenues have been exhausted but he will never be an international goal machine.

And the squad is very much different in quality like I said. Back ten or so years ago we had around 10 players who were playing regular Champions League football - now that has halved. We are no better represented in the EPL than we were back then and more players now I'd say are more squad players than first team regulars. 

Strachan should have gone months ago. I must be the only one here with ZERO confidence in the SFA getting an able replacement and even if they do - jeez he has more rebuilding of squad and confidence to do than any manager in our history with a set of players not well enough equipped for international football.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Fecking shitey quote function. 

There is no reason for N Ireland to be doing better than us other than piss poor management. 

The players underperform continually but don't get dropped. Why does Steven Fletcher make every squad? Or Chris Martin? They've done absolutely nothing for us but aren't likely to get dropped by Strachan. 

It's his management that's the issue and saying who do we get is utterly ridiculous. You advertise the job and get applications. There will be better managers than Strachan apply, because most of them simply are better. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You advertise the job and get applications. There will be better managers than Strachan apply, because most of them simply are better. 

So after Burley, Levein and Strachan - all managers lambasted on here were appointed by the SFA you expect the SFA to make a competent appointment? I certainly do not. Sad but that is the incompetence in charge of the game at the moment for you. Their incompetence has gone on as they failed to sack Strachan six months ago.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but lets cut the crap about Griffiths. He is now into double figures on caps and still yet to find the net. And please forget the tired old excuse about only getting fleeting chances. Look at Dougie Freedman - 2 caps 1 goal. If you are good enough you'll take the chances when they come. That is our problem (the fans I mean). Happy to settle for mediocrity pinning hopes on a striker who has yet to score for us in a dozen games. Sure he merits a start today because all other avenues have been exhausted but he will never be an international goal machine.

And the squad is very much different in quality like I said. Back ten or so years ago we had around 10 players who were playing regular Champions League football - now that has halved. We are no better represented in the EPL than we were back then and more players now I'd say are more squad players than first team regulars. 

Strachan should have gone months ago. I must be the only one here with ZERO confidence in the SFA getting an able replacement and even if they do - jeez he has more rebuilding of squad and confidence to do than any manager in our history with a set of players not well enough equipped for international football.

how many starts in competitive games has Griffiths had

away to England, that's it I think

he hasn't been given a chance