McLeish for next manager - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McLeish for next manager

Bino's

Just now, Bino's said:

how many starts in competitive games has Griffiths had

away to England, that's it I think

he hasn't been given a chance

Competitive starts I don't give a monkeys. If he is/was the real deal he'd show it in an instant. Heck David Clarkson has a better strike rate with just two caps (not starts). By all means give him the start tonight but he is not the goal machine some think he is as his international stats show to date.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McLeish? Absolutely not.

Anyway, we all know even though nobody wants to admit it, that if Strachan does go it will be McGhee getting appointed by those useless diddies running the SFA.

Personslly I hope we have Strachan still in the job two years from now, because I know what that would mean.

All these people wanting us to lose so Strachan goes is mental. I want him to succeed and stay.

3 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

McLeish? Absolutely not.

Anyway, we all know even though nobody wants to admit it, that if Strachan does go it will be McGhee getting appointed by those useless diddies running the SFA.

Personslly I hope we have Strachan still in the job two years from now, because I know what that would mean.

All these people wanting us to lose so Strachan goes is mental. I want him to succeed and stay.

If McGhee was appointed he'd be suspended for his first 6 games.

23 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Tommy Docherty must be due another go.... he had us playing well.

Bobby Brown's still with us. Managed to beat England too...

Edit... pretty bizarre that a Scotland manager from the 60s is still alive, while all England managers before 1994 are deid. 

Edited by Toepoke

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Competitive starts I don't give a monkeys. If he is/was the real deal he'd show it in an instant. Heck David Clarkson has a better strike rate with just two caps (not starts). By all means give him the start tonight but he is not the goal machine some think he is as his international stats show to date.

Who thinks he's a goal machine? As with Jordan Rhodes, people are saying these guys score goals, Fletcher and Martin not so much. Give them a run un the team since the other 2 have proven not up to it. Maybe you can tell me from his "international stats" how many minutes he's played in his 12 games, what that averages per game and how many chances he's had, since stats are telling. Cause as anyone knows Scotland dont create many chances per game and to expect him just to appear here and there for 10-15 mins and score goals isnt even close to realistic. Just look at the sitters  Kenny "5th highest scorer ever for Scotland" Miller missed.

McLeish, Moyes and Souness are f u cking dinosaurs who don't have the first clue about modern football. I know I am repeating myself, but we need to go foreign; AVB, Marcelinho, Pelligrini, Tata Martino, Martin Jol, hiddink, basically any that isn't Scottish. 

Griffiths matches are 

2012 v Luxembourg (A) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 22 minutes)

2013 v England (A) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 20 minutes)

2013 V Croatia (A) Start (was substituted after 64 minutes)

2013 V Belgium (H) Start (was substituted after 68 minutes) 

2013 v Qatar (H) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 34 minutes)

2016 V Denmark (H) Start) (was substituted on the hour mark)

2016 V Lithuania (H) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around  24 minutes)

2016 V Slovakia (A) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 29 minutes)

2016 V England (A) Started (played the whole match)

2017 V Canada (H) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 30 minutes)

2015 V Georgia (A) Sub (allowing for stoppage time around 18 minutes)

That is around 463 minutes (7 hours 43 minutes) on the pitch and zero goals. Until he actually finds the net there is no way he can be judged on strike rate even with duds like Martin etc. As for trying to judge him to Miller who scored 17 times well it is akin to judging a horse never to complete the Grand National in five attempts to a horse that has won the race and been placed as well in it. No comparison.

I am not disputing he deserves a start but purely because all other avenues have been exhausted as I have no faith he is the answer to our problems. Almost eight hours of firing blanks tells me that.

10 minutes ago, Mox said:

McLeish, Moyes and Souness are f u cking dinosaurs who don't have the first clue about modern football. I know I am repeating myself, but we need to go foreign; AVB, Marcelinho, Pelligrini, Tata Martino, Martin Jol, hiddink, basically any that isn't Scottish. 

And the SFA are the dinosaurs doing the hiring so rule out your foreign options there.

And just checking Martin has had similar time on the pitch to Griffiths of 486 minutes and scored two goals. So which is it? Either Martin being lambasted unfairly or Griffiths being over-rated by some or the one I go with in that both are not up to international football? I mean surely reading posts alone (to an alien from another world) you'd think Griffiths had scored many times for us and Martin not at all.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And just checking Martin has had similar time on the pitch to Griffiths of 486 minutes and scored two goals. So which is it? Either Martin being lambasted unfairly or Griffiths being over-rated by some or the one I go with in that both are not up to international football? I mean surely reading posts alone (to an alien from another world) you'd think Griffiths had scored many times for us and Martin not at all.

If Griffiths played the games Martin had he would have scored more goals than Martin has for sure. Malta away for example. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If Griffiths played the games Martin had he would have scored more goals than Martin has for sure. Malta away for example. 

They've both had their easier opponents. One has scored two goals and the other hasn't. Lets not forget Griffiths has played V Qatar, Luxembourg and Canada.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Come on now..

Well it's true. In any case the way people address both players then surely we should be expecting so much more of a return from Griffiths. After all Martin is the devil incarnate, the sack of spuds, the donkey and so useless yet has better stats than Griffiths. Why? Both had roughly the same time on the pitch, played alongside the same players and under the same manager. One is called shite and the other isn't. Work that one out because I can't.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it's true. In any case the way people address both players then surely we should be expecting so much more of a return from Griffiths. After all Martin is the devil incarnate, the sack of spuds, the donkey and so useless yet has better stats than Griffiths. Why? Both had roughly the same time on the pitch, played alongside the same players and under the same manager. One is called shite and the other isn't. Work that one out because I can't.

One is fast, skilful and scores goals from 30 yards +

the other is Chris Martin 

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So Griffiths has 400 odd mins, a large chunk of which came against England, Belgium, Croatia and Denmark. Not exactly the same quality of opposition Martin has had his chances against

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They've both had their easier opponents. One has scored two goals and the other hasn't. Lets not forget Griffiths has played V Qatar, Luxembourg and Canada.

Yeah, but Martin get 50-60 mins against the easier teams, Griffiths get 15-20. Your bottom line is correct, neither should be leading our line, but you way of justifying Griffiths isn't capable is weak at best. And I wasnt comparing Griffiths to Miller, pointing out that Miller misser plenty of easy chances, something Griffiths hasnt even had a chance to do.

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Come on now..

Exactly ?

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Really? Send out a search party then as I've seen no such player under the name of Griffiths in a Scotland shirt. Heck he can't even score from one yard let alone 30.

Totally agree....  when he came on for Kenny Miller against England away he looked like a laddie that had just been put in to play against the big boys... lost.   Our performance noticeably dropped.  Unconvinced He has what it takes to play in a struggling team.  

4 hours ago, Mox said:

Marcelinho and Thomas Schaaf would be two I'd like the SFA to talk to. 0% chance of it though. 

7 hours ago, Mox said:

Some good names in there.  The trouble is, unless they really, really like whisky and golf, I reckon none of them would be interested in managing Scotland just now, not when the SFA will only offer washers compared to what they could earn from managing a club side.