Who should be our number 9? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who should be our number 9?

Malcolm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever the form striker is at the time rather than having a regular who might not have done anything of note for a few months.

Griffiths at least got into some good positions last night, albeit he should have scored the one that went off the bar.

Our options are much of a muchness. I'd probably say Griffiths still shades it but folk will use that miss last night against him. I did think he played well overall though. Took up good positions and made their defenders uncomfortable all half. I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked less threatening in the second half after he went off. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Our opti I'd probably say Griffiths still shades it but folk will use that miss last night against him. I did think he played well overall though. Took up good positions and made their defenders uncomfortable all half. I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked less threatening in the second half after he went off. 

I agree and hope LG gets a run in the team now. Hopefully we have found a formation that allows us to attack teams, especially at home. Chris Martin got that oh so important goal last night and he had only just come on. He will be used when we play away I think.

Just now, Jacques Hunt said:

I agree and hope LG gets a run in the team now. Hopefully we have found a formation that allows us to attack teams, especially at home. Chris Martin got that oh so important goal last night and he had only just come on. He will be used when we play away I think.

Chris Martin is less mobile and coming on at that stage last night probably suited his game. Slovenia were sitting back and the remainder of the game was going to be played in the Slovenia final third. His physical presence was therefore useful. 

When a game is stretched or when we're needing to play on the counter, then i think Griffiths is the best option. 

2 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

. Chris Martin got that oh so important goal last night and he had only just come on. He will be used when we play away I think.

Hope not. Griffiths pace would be a better asset away from home when teams are more likely to be camped in our half.

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Chris Martin is less mobile and coming on at that stage last night probably suited his game. Slovenia were sitting back and the remainder of the game was going to be played in the Slovenia final third. His physical presence was therefore useful. 

When a game is stretched or when we're needing to play on the counter, then i think Griffiths is the best option. 

Burke to come on if we are struggling?  He needs game time and time to develop (hopefully) in Germany. I feel certain that Strachan (or is it WGS again?) will play Martin up front away.

Griffith's movement was very good but was also a result of better movement from the bulk of the team - he'll cringe every time he sees that miss though.  He deserves a run as the main striker imo.  I am no Martin fan but have to say his physicality made a difference and he played his part - best suited to being a late sub when we're in need of a change and a better option than Fletcher.

Griffiths probably, his movement was good but this worked way better because for a change we had midfielders getting up with the strikers.

Armstrong was the catalyst for that, even Broony had a burst down the left wing ending in a backheel. Makes all the difference if our striker is not isolated.

11 hours ago, fringo said:

Still Griffiths for me. If he egts a chance to start 4-5 games in a row and does nothing then maybe it could be reviewed. He missed a really good chance tonight but I thought he did ok and hasn't ever had a fair crack.

So you're saying he should be given about 15 caps before we expect him to start scoring? Martin already has 3 and he wouldn't be cut so much slack. Can't believe the LG support. For me last night was a typical performance. I kind of expect him to hit the bar or post now. Pace and movement are better than any other striker we have but he misses far too much.

17 minutes ago, Brassrubber said:

Aye lets stick with the guy who cant get a game for his own team in a shit league 

Every where we go Every where we go .........

Do we replace him with the other strikers in the squad who can't get a game for their own team in a shit league then?

Thought Griffiths played well last night, obviously the chance off the bar was a bad miss but the 1st time effort was great strike Play, got across his man well and swept it towards goal with power. His movement created numerous chances 1st half and we didn't look nearly as threatening 2nd half when he was replaced.

1 hour ago, runningtings said:

Griffiths probably, his movement was good but this worked way better because for a change we had midfielders getting up with the strikers.

Armstrong was the catalyst for that, even Broony had a burst down the left wing ending in a backheel. Makes all the difference if our striker is not isolated.

:ok::ok:

I think Griffiths did enough last night.  Should have scored when he hit the bar but was unlucky to hit post with a good effort.  He causes problems with ball over the top and suspect that is one of the reasons Mulgrew is playing.  I'd be starting with Griffiths and taking on either Burke or Martin depending on what the game needed. 

Apart from the miss, Griffiths played well .  Slovenia couldn't handle his movement in the first half , and in the second we were a lot less threatening .

Where he hit the post was a  chance out of nothing , a brilliant piece of play . He's the best we've got at the moment . He reminds me a bit of McCoist who used to miss a lot more than he scored for us but got into some great positions 

I shivered through a half of Chris Martin last Wednesday, he's had his moment of glory , I would be quite happy if he never played for us again.

The move where he hit the post showed Griffiths at his best.....quick movement off a defender inside the box and a snap shot at goal. He undoubtedly had his best game for Scotland and was unlucky with his injury.

However...and I don't mean this as a negative for Griffiths....he's not a run all day, hold the ball up type striker in the mode of Kenny Miller. Scotland managers in the last 20 years have tended to play with one up front that can bring others into the game. I don't believe that's Griffiths' strength.

It worked well last night because the midfield and full-backs got forward quickly and he got support....but against a better side, or one that isn't as shite as Slovenia were last night, we could well have problems with Griffiths being isolated and dropping out of the game for long periods.

Can we afford to have the 'luxury' of a relatively lightweight lone striker who's forté is movement in the box ?

I don't know.

Thought Griffiths played well in the first half, tho as mentioned it was a lot to do with the workrate of the players around him. He was involved in play because we got p around him and supported him. But the fact remains.. 12 caps, no goals, not even an assist. That's worrying.

If we look at Rhodes.. 14 games, 3 goals, 2 assist. It's better and if we're getting up and supporting the forward, then I'd rather have Rhodes on the end of the balls in.

Against Malta and Lithuania I'd drop one of the central mids (Morrison most likely) and play them both. There was a few moments in the 30 they had together against Canada that suggested that Rhodes and Griffiths might develop a understanding.. I'd like to see that given an opportunity to develop and for us to be confident enough to go at some sides.