Martin getting booed - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Martin getting booed

robbo cop

Was at the match last night and was disgusted at Martin getting booed when coming on as a sub. I admit he is not my first choice either but to boo him or any other player who comes on or plays is just wrong. I had an idiot behind me who slagged off certain players because of the club that they play for. When Martin came on I will not even repeat what he said before leaving and of course missing the goal.....serves him bloody right.

We all have the right to an opinion but please get behind the team and does it really matter who they play. I don't support Celtic but thought every player from that club played very well along with the rest.

While I think there was maybe some boo's directed at Martin, mostly I do not think it was directed at him personally, but more so at Strachan and the actual decision more than anything else.

Into the closing stages of a "must win" match and everyone is frustrated with the clock getting closer and closer to 90 minutes, with everyone was crying out for Jordan Rhodes to come on (maybe to a lesser degree Steven Fletcher) but certainly not Chris Martin who has had a very lackluster international career up to now.

Edited by wanderer

The booing is a sign that our fans have been getting worse over the last 10 years due to all the various issues within our game/society.

A large minority of the fans don't seem to know anything about football(not that im saying I do, but some of the stuff you hear is just stupid/bigoted etc).....I don't remember hearing much of it until 2007/8.

Honestly though..............

I wasn't at the game, but I can almost understand the booing(I wouldn't boo), but.....

The prices shocking,perfomances poor, manager arrogant, players almost Scottish....... I assume the booing was because of the managers decision to put a very poor English player on the field, when most fans would have been expecting someone/anyone else to be ahead of him.

Sorry if this is all nonsense.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

While I think there was maybe some boo's directed at Martin, mostly I do not think it was directed at him personally, but more so at Strachan and the actual decision more than anything else.

Into the closing stages of a "must win" match and everyone is frustrated with the clock getting closer and closer to 90 minutes, with everyone was crying out for Jordan Rhodes to come on (maybe to a lesser degree Steven Fletcher) but certainly not Chris Martin who has had a very lackluster international career up to now.

Not sure why anyone would be crying out for Steven Fletcher, since he wasn't even on the bench!

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Although fans booing the decision are clearly of the opinion they don't think Martin is very good.

Just now, SteveMcD said:

Not sure why anyone would be crying out for Steven Fletcher, since he wasn't even on the bench!

Never even noticed that last night..... but as I said, Chris Martin was probably most folks last option for coming off the bench to get a winner.

As a 53 year old I have been a frustrated fan for as long as I can remember, have seen some very good Scotland teams under achieve in the World cup during the 70s and 80s but never have I booed a player like the so called fans are doing nowadays. 

They gave there all last night and were superb in the first half. Chris Martin goal has gave us that smallest piece of hope.

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Although fans booing the decision are clearly of the opinion they don't think Martin is very good.

True, but the bench was not exactly screaming with a match winning striker to come on to change things (if it had been Rhodes, I am sure it would be been greeted with a large cheer as we went looking for a late winner)

Edited by wanderer

6 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

As a 53 year old I have been a frustrated fan for as long as I can remember, have seen some very good Scotland teams under achieve in the World cup during the 70s and 80s but never have I booed a player like the so called fans are doing nowadays. 

They gave there all last night and were superb in the first half. Chris Martin goal has gave us that smallest piece of hope.

I'm glad you said that I thought it was just me . I've seen some woeful Scotland performances in my 55yrs but never booed a team / player in my life. I'll bet all those booing him were cheering and dancing like everyone else when he scored ...without the slightest embarrassment whatsoever............ We appear to be turning into english fans !!

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

True, but the bench was not exactly screaming with a match winning striker to come on to change things (if it had been Rhodes, I am sure it would be been greeted with a large cheer as we went looking for a late winner)

Tbh from what I've seen of Jordan Rhodes for Scotland he's not much more of an option than Chris Martin.  Considering he's never scored a competitive goal for us I find it a bit baffling that so many fans rate Rhodes so much higher than Martin.

Just now, Toepoke said:

Tbh from what I've seen of Jordan Rhodes for Scotland he's not much more of an option than Chris Martin.  Considering he's never scored a competitive goal for us I find it a bit baffling that so many fans rate Rhodes so much higher than Martin.

Agree, Strachan clearly does not rate/like Rhodes for his style of play, and after Wednesday night v Canada, chances are he was never going to feature in this game (even got my doubts he will feature in June now) but as you said, A LOT of people rate Rhodes and had him lined up as the saving grace for last night, only to see Martin getting ready to come on, so is going to get a more hostile reception. 

4 minutes ago, MacTaz said:

I'm glad you said that I thought it was just me . I've seen some woeful Scotland performances in my 55yrs but never booed a team / player in my life. I'll bet all those booing him were cheering and dancing like everyone else when he scored ...without the slightest embarrassment whatsoever............ We appear to be turning into english fans !!

Cheers mate, glad some others have suffered as much as me throughout the years. One of the main attractions of following Scotland was because of the great supporters we have, but sadly I am beginning to doubt this.

He should immediately retire from International Foorball and then spend the rest of his life elevated to god like status among the guilt trip TA -- None of whom actually booed him of course ! - and have history rewritten with him perceived to be a superb player for Scotland whom is sorely missed and whom had a major impact on the Scotland team...

Well, worked for Gary McAllister.....

Aye I think some appear to have lost sight of the Tartan Army philosophy. Too many bampots on tour these days as well. who think wearing a kilt gives you cart blanche to get hammered and act like twats.   

3 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

He should immediately retire from International Foorball and then spend the rest of his life elevated to god like status among the guilt trip TA -- None of whom actually booed him of course ! - and have history rewritten with him perceived to be a superb player for Scotland whom is sorely missed and whom had a major impact on the Scotland team...

Well, worked for Gary McAllister.....

Prosecution rests M'Lud !

Folk have been giving Strachan pelters for his decisions / tactics lately. He made a decision last night which won us the game . Funny , it's all gone quiet over there ...... It would seem the same folk are incapable of giving him the credit when he does something right. 

ARE YOU ENGLISH IN DISGUISE ?? 

Anybody who boos an actual player is a complete moron Imo, if they were booing the sub itself then I can understand but it was the only sub that made sense at that time, we needed to go 2 up and be a bit more direct and Martin is the only guy in that mould and it ended up working a treat.

In the main, I thought the crowd were great last night, particularly late on I felt there was quite a bit singing and everyone was getting behind the team.

I booed and shouted abuse at Strachan when the substitution was made. Still celebrated the goal, and delighted we won the game. 

People who think booing is out of order are entitled to their opinion, but it's my choice to boo, if they sent happy then tough.