Standing at games - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Standing at games

robbo cop

Don't know how the rest of you feel about this but every Scotland game I have been to recently I have stood the entire 90 minutes and to be perfectly honest the price I have paid for season tickets it pisses me off. Stood all night at Lithuania game, England away, and then last night in the North stand. Have complained before to SFA and supposed to be the stewards were going to be asking the still small minority of fans to sit down,but this never happens. We are not all youngsters who can stand all night. Even an annouchment prior to kick off may help. That's my moan over with.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must know folk will be standing in the north Stand though? So why buy a ticket there? South stand is the same price and gives the same (if not better) view and everyone will be seated.

No I did know people would stand in the North area. What is the difference, the point I am making is that a lot of people are getting fed up of the fans at the front who stand up the entire game thus forcing others to as well. A good few guys around me complained to the stewards who never done anything.

I have sympathy for those who want to sit down but, as has been pointed out, the north stand traditionally will be standing so probably best to buy elsewhere.

Think the problem we have now is there is no dedicated family section and you can buy kids tickets all round the ground as opposed to just the east stand, so people are wanting to sit down with their kids throughout the stadium (which is understandable)

Last night we stayed up the very back of the west stand because we wanted to stand and would not be blocking anyone's view from there. There was plenty of empty seats to choose from but 10 mins after kick off the steamers who had tickets for the seats came in so we had to move a few rows in front, where thankfully we found more people wanting to stand so we just went in front of them.

Having unofficial standing areas would sort this problem out.

North Stand has always been standing, but the enforcement of seating has always been there.... problem is you get so many folk going who view being told to sit down as some kind of violation of their rights, that the Stewards just seem to back off, rather than getting a telling off from some guy who thinks he is above the rules.

Denmark friendly early last year, they were certainly clamping down hard on it.

Always seemed to be the further round the curve from the north stand into the east and west, the more likely folk would sit, but due to the price increases in recent years, seems to be a lot of people who stood in the North Stand have moved to the west stand, and find more and more people are standing there now.

7 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

There was plenty of empty seats to choose from but 10 mins after kick off the steamers who had tickets for the seats came in so we had to move a few rows in front...

The folk who bought tickets and wanted to sit in their allocated seats are the "steamers" in this scenario?

Just now, neil r said:

The folk who bought tickets and wanted to sit in their allocated seats are the "steamers" in this scenario?

They're steamers because they came in blotto. Not because they wanted to sit in their allocated seats. Try reading what is actually written and not what you want to see instead.

20 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

No I did know people would stand in the North area. What is the difference, the point I am making is that a lot of people are getting fed up of the fans at the front who stand up the entire game thus forcing others to as well. A good few guys around me complained to the stewards who never done anything.

I can understand why you feel like that and of course you are well within your rights to complain, we are supposed to be seated. On the other hand I am a 53 yr old woman and I prefer to stand. I feel much more involved when standing, I dont particularly like sitting at football, particularly on freezing cold nights. And at other times standing is the only thing that keeps me awake whilst watching Scotland. 

I do think though that there perhaps should be some sort of unwritten rule to ensure folk that want to sit do not have their view blocked. Can only suggest using other parts of the stadium that someone else mentioned.  

Just now, neil r said:

Try typing in a less unambiguous manner. Not in the manner of an aspiring kickboxer.

It's only ambiguous to complete idiots, so accept that it would have caused you problems.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

It's only ambiguous to complete idiots, so accept that it would have caused you problems.

Aye I supposed a few lines might have made it clearer.

And the word you want is unambiguous. Wouldnt want you looking like a complete idiot.

Nae bother though Champ.

Edited by neil r

Just now, Reevesy said:

Or to someone who is constantly looking to nitpick. He will not be truly happy till Lulu's finally gone. 

7 minutes ago, neil r said:

And the word you want is unambiguous. Wouldnt want you looking like a complete idiot.

Oh dear. I think you need to read the thread again.

13 minutes ago, neil r said:

Try typing in a less unambiguous manner. Not in the manner of an aspiring kickboxer.

11 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

10 minutes ago, neil r said:

Aye I supposed a few lines might have made it clearer.

Nae bother though Champ.

Why should he have used unambiguous here?

Profuse apologies. For reasons unknown I was thinking if equivical and unequivical. Fck knows why.

However the point still stands that if the coke snorting "idiot" and want to be kickboxer was clearer in his post there would be no confusion.

Edited by neil r

1 minute ago, neil r said:

Profuse apologies. For reasons unknown I was thinking if equivical and unequivical. Fck knows why.

However the point still stands that if the coke snorting "idiot" and want to be kickboxer was clearer in his post there would be no confusion.

It's not really reasons unknown. It's because you were trying to be a smart arse when the reality is that you are a bit of a moron and made a mess of it.  Carry on

At most grounds their is an unofficial standing section, where Stewards will turn a blind eye, partly because it would be too much hassle to get everyone sitting I'm sure.

As was pointed out at the start of the thread, if you want the North stand view, from the comfort of a seat, the South Stand is the way to go.

It would be near impossible to enforce no standing in the North stand without some aggro and probably ejections/arrests.

So while technically you (the OP) are in the right, you're being a bit of a martyr.