Optimism or doomed for another glorious failure - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Optimism or doomed for another glorious failure

friendofalegend

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Wow we are actually really good, sorry my mistake.

We also have a good manager. Let's extend his contract.

Nobody said we are "really good"

I was just pointing out that we were able to beat Northern Ireland without playing like we did against Slovenia within your timescale of the last 2 and a half years.

Hope that's clear enough for you, SelfLoathingScot.

Edited by Reevesy

22 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Well in the last 2 and a half years we have actually beaten Northern Ireland, keeping a clean sheet in the process.

Come on, be serious. A victory in a friendly vs their reserves doesn't mean much. 

If we play well, we're more than capable of beating NI. No doubts about that as we certainly have better players.

However, over the last 2.5 years they've been a better side than us. They've qualified for the Euros, got through their group and are now leading their WC qualifying group. We've stumbled from poor performance to poor performance. 

I think that was the point being made. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Come on, be serious. A victory in a friendly vs their reserves doesn't mean much. 

If we play well, we're more than capable of beating NI. No doubts about that as we certainly have better players.

However, over the last 2.5 years they've been a better side than us. They've qualified for the Euros, got through their group and are now leading their WC qualifying group. We've stumbled from poor performance to poor performance. 

I think that was the point being made. 

Thye have without doubt been better than us recently but like i said, I was only using them as an example but my point is that there are teams in second that we COULD beat, whereas Bonny said we have no chance against any of them.

You call it their reserves but how many of our own line up that night would start a play off against them now? Possibly half of them.

They're not leading their WC group btw, Germany are.

11 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Thye have without doubt been better than us recently but like i said, I was only using them as an example but my point is that there are teams in second that we COULD beat, whereas Bonny said we have no chance against any of them.

You call it their reserves but how many of our own line up that night would start a play off against them now? Possibly half of them.

It was close to our first choice team at the time. Gordon, Martin, Fletcher, Fletcher, Maloney, Anya, McArthur, Ritchie. Obviously our line-up would be much changed now though. 

11 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

They're not leading their WC group btw, Germany are.

Ahh apologies. 

I don't think we will beat England and I don't think we will qualify. But ill be looking for the team to play like they did first half last game and winning some more group games. with that ill be happy as I will feel we are performing at a level that the players can. as other have said though this feels like a deviation form the norm rather than the other way around.

3 hours ago, bonny78 said:

There is no way we cud win a 2 legged playoff against a 2nd placed team i.e. a GOOD team. 

all Ireland had to do last time was beat a below par bosnia by punting the all up the pitch in a fog bound second leg as well to get through

its not impossible

I would agree with the earlier comment on here about treating every game as a cup final.

I am constantly amazed when teams faced with a relegation battle suddenly go all out guns blazing knowing they have nothing to lose. They win 7 out of their 8 games and stay up. This then begs the question why don't you play like that all the time. 

Hopefully Strachan will realise its shit or bust from now on and go out on the attack. If we get pumped 5-3 by England giving it a go so be it. Rather that than passing it around at the back and we get beat 2-0. Also what would be sweeter than pumping Lithuania in their own shithole of a stadium in Kaunas? Well pumping england at Hamden obviously but lets stay off the drugs.

Edited by joecraigfanclub

5 hours ago, Bino's said:

all Ireland had to do last time was beat a below par bosnia by punting the all up the pitch in a fog bound second leg as well to get through

its not impossible

I know what you mean but unfortunately our play off would be against a second placed team, theirs was against a third placed team!

I don't see Scotland winning that game against England but if you get a draw what would be the best result from Lithuania game as it seems a double edged sword. If they beat Slovakia they're back in it and assuming Slovenia win against Malta, the table (ignoring England) will be

Slovenia 11 pts

Slovakia 9

Scotland 8

Lithuania 8 

Lithuania will have their tails up but a draw would knock them out more or less but Scotland trail Slovakia by 2. 

What'd be your preference lads out if the Lithuania-Slovakia game?

1 hour ago, irish said:

I don't see Scotland winning that game against England but if you get a draw what would be the best result from Lithuania game as it seems a double edged sword. If they beat Slovakia they're back in it and assuming Slovenia win against Malta, the table (ignoring England) will be

Slovenia 11 pts

Slovakia 9

Scotland 8

Lithuania 8 

Lithuania will have their tails up but a draw would knock them out more or less but Scotland trail Slovakia by 2. 

What'd be your preference lads out if the Lithuania-Slovakia game?

A Lithuania victory without a doubt would be my preference

30 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Nice early goal for us might change the game 

I wish I had your optimism but nothing about Scotland and early goals fills me with confidence. At least against any decent opposition. After the initial elation it quickly descends into a gut wrenching sense of doom as we lose the plot and spend the next 15 mins running about like headless chickens before the inevitable happens. 

But maybe this time ......

It'll  be interesting to see England's approach as a draw wouldn't  be a disaster seeing as they've  the group more or less won already. 

It would be suicidal for Scotland to play as open as they did against Slovenia as there's  too much pace in that England team and they've better and more instinctive strikers. England will win in an open end to end match. 

Scotland need to sit back and as hard as that is too stomach not going for the jugular against your arch rival, a draw keeps Scotland in the hunt for second. This isn't as much of a must win as the Slovenia game was. A bit of pragmatism is needed imo. 

If it was ourselves ONeill would have us sitting back and keeping it right even at home against England who are a better team with more attacking threats.