Team v England - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v England

Scout

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

I think it was very noticeable that Darren Fletcher was left out of the starting 11 and performance improved

for me away to Slovakia he was marking air most of the time when tracking back and culpable for certainly one of the goals

he's lost that fitness that was his game

He's one who seems to perform better in the West Brom side than he does for Scotland. It's understandable as West Brom play counter attacking football whereas Scotland play very little football at all.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/03/2017 at 8:09 AM, vanderark14 said:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Cairney

Fraser Armstrong Snodgrass

Griffiths

I'd go with this but I'd be tempted to start Kenny Miller up front. He hasn't scored many goals this season but there can't be any doubt he's a big game player. If I was WGS I'd be having a word with him now to tell him he's in the frame for a start.

I've a feeling Strachan will go with Forrest and Morrison ahead of Fraser and Cairney unfortunately ?

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

How many years has Strachan been in charged and people are still mentioning Bardsley? Anyway he won't be playing so think we need to continue with Tierney, as I think we should even if Bardsley was an option.

Can we pick 11 players this time and leave out Forrest? Nothing against him personally but many caps is that now with almost no end product. 

Similarly I'm not convinced Snodgrass in a wide position is a good idea against England. Guess we can see now his form and fitness is nearer the time. 

whats the point in going on abut forrest when you know Strachan will pick him

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

I think it was very noticeable that Darren Fletcher was left out of the starting 11 and performance improved

for me away to Slovakia he was marking air most of the time when tracking back and culpable for certainly one of the goals

he's lost that fitness that was his game

really like the guy but he should be nowhere near the starting lineup, doesn't offer anything on the pitch now unfortunately, should have retired end of the last campaign 

Edited by LewisEDI

On 13/04/2017 at 10:58 AM, slasher said:

I'd go with this but I'd be tempted to start Kenny Miller up front. He hasn't scored many goals this season but there can't be any doubt he's a big game player. If I was WGS I'd be having a word with him now to tell him he's in the frame for a start.

I've a feeling Strachan will go with Forrest and Morrison ahead of Fraser and Cairney unfortunately ?

Kenny miller ?

• 3 weeks later...

Strachan will pick something like this : I think  for this game (or should)  

Gordon 

Anya        Martin      Mulgrew   Robertson 

Fraser  Brown Armstrong   Ritchie 

Snodgrass 

Griffiths 

----------------Gordon--------------------

Tierney-Martin-Mulgrew-Robertson 

-----------Brown-McGregor------------

Forrest-----Armstrong----Snodgrass 

----------------Griffiths-------------------

46 minutes ago, Bino's said:

PASTA Mick will have jizzed all over his computer when he read that team.  Though he'd pick David Marshall ahead of Russell Martin.  And he'd have had better formatting.

57 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Not a chance McGregor will start. Strachan will stick with the tried and tested and that is not McGregor. Move Armstrong back alongside Brown and slot James Morrison into Armstrong slot and I think that will be the side.

5 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

PASTA Mick will have jizzed all over his computer when he read that team.  Though he'd pick David Marshall ahead of Russell Martin.  And he'd have had better formatting.

That's not weird at all...

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not a chance McGregor will start. Strachan will stick with the tried and tested and that is not McGregor. Move Armstrong back alongside Brown and slot James Morrison into Armstrong slot and I think that will be the side.

i cant remember the last time morrison got an assist or created a goal, so the idea of pulling armstrong back who got an assist and very nearly 2 in this last game (only game) for scotland is madness. that being said its strachan so we could well see mcarthur played as an attacking mid

On 02/04/2017 at 1:04 PM, irish said:

I think most on here know it keeps Scotland in it for only another game potentially as the England game is another do or die.

In terms of qualification, the England result matters not a jot. Everyone is still to play them, and they'll likely take points off them all. A point or three against England would be great, but losing changes nothing.

Away to Lithuania in September is a must win, but it's the final double header that will really make or break it.

On 13/04/2017 at 8:35 AM, ProudScot said:

He's one who seems to perform better in the West Brom side than he does for Scotland. It's understandable as West Brom play counter attacking football whereas Scotland play very little football at all.

I'm not sure he does. Watched a bit of them lately and he still makes the same mistakes for them that he does for us. Handed Leicester a great chance on a plate when he came on the other day. He's just past the point where he's reliable, seemingly for club and country. His concentration seems to have gone.

As has been said, it's not a coincidence that he was dropped for Slovenia and we played a lot better both going forwards and defensively without him on the park. Probably still worth a squad spot for his experience, and behind the scenes stuff, but he's not good enough to be on the pitch any more.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

In terms of qualification, the England result matters not a jot. Everyone is still to play them, and they'll likely take points off them all. A point or three against England would be great, but losing changes nothing.

Away to Lithuania in September is a must win, but it's the final double header that will really make or break it.

It's not do or die, but it does matter. Every result matters. Ireland's victory over Germany in the last campaign mattered and Slovenia's draw with England might matter this time.

We shouldn't be writing this game off. We should be trying to win the game and some vital points. 

Also you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you assume England will breeze 3pts off everybody else. It's difficult to predict what might happen and they've already dropped points. 

32 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

It's not do or die, but it does matter. Every result matters. Ireland's victory over Germany in the last campaign mattered and Slovenia's draw with England might matter this time.

We shouldn't be writing this game off. We should be trying to win the game and some vital points. 

Also you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you assume England will breeze 3pts off everybody else. It's difficult to predict what might happen and they've already dropped points.

Don't get me wrong, winning it would be great and that's what we should aim for.

But realistically, that game will mean the least of our 5 remaining fixtures.
We need to beat Malta because everyone will beat Malta.
We need to beat Lithuania because everyone will probably beat Lithuania.
We need to get something, if not beat Slovakia and Slovenia as they're our direct rivals for 2nd.
England.. are pretty safely in first.. beat Slovakia away and Slovenia's great start to the campaign (which saw them get a draw with England) seems to have petered out a bit.

Let's put it another way..
Does it matter if we beat them? Yes, that's be a great leg up on our rivals for 2nd. (Not to mention a lovely day all round!)
Does it really matter if we lose to them? Probably not.

I am in agreement that in the grand scheme that it does not really matter if we lose to England, BUT we need to win everything else.  Beat England and then we go into the rest on a great run which in my life time, I've never seen Scotland win 4 games in a row - I am away to check that, but to beat England and then end with a run of 6 wins in a row - seem a high ask and dare I say it unlikely.  

The qualifiers for France 98 had us on a rich form of 6 unbeaten matches before we lost to 2-1 to Sweden.  We had some 5 game un-beaten streak in 2005, 2006 and 2008 and we even had another even 6 match unbeaten streak from 2013 into 2014.  We seem to have plenty competitive draws, rarely producing a bunch of wins in a streak beyond 2.    

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

if we do not beat England we will not qualify and if we lose Strachan will resign after the game

We probably won't qualify even if we beat England, but Strachan will be in charge for the rest of the campaign regardless of the result, I think

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, Bino's said:

if we do not beat England we will not qualify and if we lose Strachan will resign after the game

I hope so, if we lose it will be the right time to make a change.  Hopefully go hunting out of Scotland this time round.  By this logic, I hope he is still in a job! 

12 hours ago, Reevesy said:

We probably won't qualify even if we beat England, but Strachan will be in charge for the rest of the campaign regardless of the result, I think

I believe if we beat England we will go on to qualify

On 04/05/2017 at 0:29 PM, Bino's said:

I'd be very happy with that. This selection's got to be about form, fitness and confidence. I think Strachan understood that in the last game and it was why we played well and won. Morrison for McGregor would be OK. There's a good argument for Fraser instead of Snodgrass who isn't starting games and has been criticised by West Ham fans. Snodgrass would also be fired up coming on as a sub. Case against is that Strachan might feel Fraser, Forrest and Griffiths would leave him short of height.