Team v England - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v England

Scout

13 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Agreed. Still have no idea why Strachan jettisoned the pace players for the slovakia game. And the complete bombing out of Burke is still bewildering.

Lets be honest about Burke here. He has done Jack at Red Bull Leipzig. He is a regular on the bench with substitute appearances limited to 5 minutes here and there and the odd longer stint without making any impression when he has come on. At present he does not merit a place in our side at the moment and given how we have so many in-form midfielders then it is debatable whether he merits a place in the squad. He is young yet so lets not rush him - hopefully he will find his feet and break into the first team but right now he is not ready.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets be honest about Burke here. He has done Jack at Red Bull Leipzig. He is a regular on the bench with substitute appearances limited to 5 minutes here and there and the odd longer stint without making any impression when he has come on. At present he does not merit a place in our side at the moment and given how we have so many in-form midfielders then it is debatable whether he merits a place in the squad. He is young yet so lets not rush him - hopefully he will find his feet and break into the first team but right now he is not ready.

I agree he is not ready, but i don't agree with your assessment of his season in Germany. He's generally coming on around 70 mins. This is the team second top of the Bundesliga with a multimillion budget. He's not coming on for a sympathy vote. He's coming on to get them points.

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree he is not ready, but i don't agree with your assessment of his season in Germany. He's generally coming on around 70 mins. This is the team second top of the Bundesliga with a multimillion budget. He's not coming on for a sympathy vote. He's coming on to get them points.

I have followed his appearances closely and on sites that offer live tickertate updates and ratings for each player and you'll find Burke nearly always bottom of the pile. The fact he is not breaking into the side following sub appearances backs up that he is not doing enough to win a starting place in the side. And he's not coming on to win them points (that's an exaggeration) as thew game has already been won or match plays out its course. I think he started off with a goal and an assist in first three games but nothing since.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

43 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have followed his appearances closely and on sites that offer live tickertate updates and ratings for each player and you'll find Burke nearly always bottom of the pile. The fact he is not breaking into the side following sub appearances backs up that he is not doing enough to win a starting place in the side. And he's not coming on to win them points (that's an exaggeration) as thew game has already been won or match plays out its course. I think he started off with a goal and an assist in first three games but nothing since.

he's an impact player

comes on when the game is getting tired and is strong, quick and direct

absolutely no reason he cant be doing the same job for us

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He's not making an impact though at this moment in time.

Possibly not, but have you actually seen the midfield of RB? If you have you will be well aware of the quality of players he's trying to dislodge for a starting slot. That coupled with the fact these same players are producing results is why he's mostly on the outside looking in. That does not mean he's not progressing or making an impact as you put it. His manager stated several times at the start of the season Burke needs to improve his defensive game.

As Scotland fans we are guilty of this attitude of he's been around a year or two n wits he done??? Were far to quick to get on their case's. Give him time.

I'd be more worried about his impact had he been there for three seasons at 25. Not in his first season as a kid.

As for Scotland he should be in every squad. Starting some and impact sub in others.

Just now, Mazziessc said:

Possibly not, but have you actually seen the midfield of RB? If you have you will be well aware of the quality of players he's trying to dislodge for a starting slot. That coupled with the fact these same players are producing results is why he's mostly on the outside looking in. That does not mean he's not progressing or making an impact as you put it. His manager stated several times at the start of the season Burke needs to improve his defensive game.

As Scotland fans we are guilty of this attitude of he's been around a year or two n wits he done??? Were far to quick to get on their case's. Give him time.

I'd be more worried about his impact had he been there for three seasons at 25. Not in his first season as a kid.

As for Scotland he should be in every squad. Starting some and impact sub in others.

All he can do at the moment is make as big an impression as possible when he comes on as sub and just now and for most of this season that just hasn't happened.I did say earlier he needs more time and am not ruling him out being a star sometime in the future but he is a long way from being that at present.He's had a couple of chances for Scotland so far and hasn't set the heather alight which emphasizes he is not quite ready yet.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All he can do at the moment is make as big an impression as possible when he comes on as sub and just now and for most of this season that just hasn't happened.I did say earlier he needs more time and am not ruling him out being a star sometime in the future but he is a long way from being that at present.He's had a couple of chances for Scotland so far and hasn't set the heather alight which emphasizes he is not quite ready yet.

He will come good. He was exceptional at Forrest before his move, look at theNick of them now. Lets be honest the cream of our national team are championship level. Burke's above that and will stay above that even if it goes tits up at RB

17 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

He will come good. He was exceptional at Forrest before his move, look at theNick of them now. Lets be honest the cream of our national team are championship level. Burke's above that and will stay above that even if it goes tits up at RB

FFS.  He was playing in the Championship where having any sort of technical ability is the exception.  His attributes are ideally suited to that league and he shone in a few games.

He's now playing for a Champions League team in the Bundesliga.  He'll need to add a bit to his game there to be a success.

18 minutes ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

FFS.  He was playing in the Championship where having any sort of technical ability is the exception.  His attributes are ideally suited to that league and he shone in a few games.

He's now playing for a Champions League team in the Bundesliga.  He'll need to add a bit to his game there to be a success.

I'd imagine his true level when he's fully developed will be somewhere between the two.

Which would see him playing somewhere equivalent to the top half of the EPL.

3 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

2 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

See top quote

1 hour ago, Rab The Crab said:

I'd imagine his true level when he's fully developed will be somewhere between the two.

Which would see him playing somewhere equivalent to the top half of the EPL.

Kinda what I was getting at. He's a better player than the championship should he leave Germany.

Edited by Mazziessc

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agree that Burke hasn't really pushed on as quick as we'd like and he isn't a starter for us for that reason. But bombing him out of the squad altogether was nonsensical - why create an unnecessary story and deny yourself another option from the bench?

Let's not forget that Oliver Burke was wearing jogging bottoms at the open training session! A disgrace!! He should be bombed out the squad altogether IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Let's not forget that Oliver Burke was wearing jogging bottoms at the open training session! A disgrace!! He should be bombed out the squad altogether IMO. 

Jogging bottoms, shorts, a hulla skirt? Wits it matter if he gets the job done.

6 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Jogging bottoms, shorts, a hulla skirt? Wits it matter if he gets the job done.

Yeah. Exactly. I'm taking the piss.

Folk on here were slagging him off prior to the Slovenia game, saying that wearing jogging bottoms in training indicated he had a bad attitude. 

Pathetic. 

Dependant on injuries and keeping a core of Celtic players, I would go with the following:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

McGregor Brown Armstrong

Forrest Fraser (both playing wide and supporting the forward)

Griffiths

Subs:

McGregor

Marshall

Berra

Lindsay

Anya

Shinnie

D Fletcher

Morrison

Ritchie

Snodgrass

S Fletcher

C Martin

3 hours ago, g@un said:

Dependant on injuries and keeping a core of Celtic players, I would go with the following:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

McGregor Brown Armstrong

Forrest Fraser (both playing wide and supporting the forward)

Griffiths

Subs:

McGregor

Marshall

Berra

Lindsay

Anya

Shinnie

D Fletcher

Morrison

Ritchie

Snodgrass

S Fletcher

C Martin

Won't be making any subs then 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Folk on here were slagging him off prior to the Slovenia game, saying that wearing jogging bottoms in training indicated he had a bad attitude. 

Pathetic. 

Who on here came away with that pish? :-))

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He's not making an impact though at this moment in time.

why don't we try bringing him on circa 70 mins, like one of Europe's top clubs do and see what happens

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well he is not changing games in 20 minute cameos for his club in a side that is flying so ain't going to do it for us at present. Canada game was an example he looked below ordinary and was far outshone by Cairney and even others with minimal experience. 

You think a wealthy club going for its first ever Champions League qualification indulges in cameos? 

20 hours ago, Parklife said:

Pathetic. 

Let's put this in context.  The lunatic in question here turned up to a training session and watched it through a gate from over 100 metres.  He also thinks it's normal to take infants to football matches between random teams in random countries on the European continent, under the illusion that toddler Rinus Michels is taking it all in.