Team v England - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v England

Scout

4 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I am assuming its 29 players initially as he is expecting a few call offs therefore trying to preempt players heading off on the piss to Marbs in the next week or two.

No idea why Ritchie isn't there, he played for Newcastle up to the end of the season. Murphy seems a like for like replacement but Ritchie probably had the better season.

I thought McGregor would have been in, has had a good end to the season and, like Armstrong, has picked up a few goals from midfield, always good when you have a forward line like ours.

Snodgrass hasn't kicked a ball since leaving Hull. 

Glad to see Ryan Fraser in again, I would start him. He has finished the season well, unlike Snodgrass.

Snodgrass has been getting a game - started yesterday in fact. Although fair to say he hasn't been anywhere near as effective lately.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

The continued inclusion of James Forrest never ceases to baffle me. I really don't see what he offers, guy's never done anything in a Scotland shirt (albeit he was okay against Slovenia).

Even more baffling when it's at the expense of Matt Ritchie and Oliver Burke who are both capable of producing something out of nothing.

I would say Murphy is in at the expense of Ritchie.

Still waiting on Burke producing anything, never mind something, certainly hasn't this season for Leipzig.

1 hour ago, pca68 said:

Only 3 keepers listed on the BBC version.

Has to be. No way he selected 4 keepers and then no place for say Ritchie. If this was true it would be ridiculous 

I so tired of Strachan. I would not be surprised if the squad felt the same way. He just thinks he is so smart and he is just not.

Think Matt Ritchie was injured and suspended last 2 games of season. so wont have played in weeks and not even sure if he's fit ...

Would've had McGregor in but given the Midfield options he wouldn't have started for me and probably wouldn't have came on ..subs in CM - defensively would be mccarthur and attacking would maybe be Tom Cairney ...and hes not a natural wide player ...so maybe hes just giving the lad a couple weeks off before champions league as hes not "needed" for this tie ...

Guesswork obviously but starting 11 plus few options are there ...hopefully all stay fit

Edited by DING
correction

13 minutes ago, DING said:

Think Matt Ritchie was injured and suspended last 2 games of season. so wont have played in weeks and not even sure if he's fit ...

Reports suggest that he has been playing with a injury for a while now, even before he missed the last two games.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Some people just don't like hitting penalties. At the end of the day I'd rather have someone who was confident taking it over someone who isn't too sure. 

Yeah sorry thats kinda the point I was trying (and failing) to make - if he wasnt confident enough to take a penalty in a season where he scored 40 goals, he probably shouldnt take one one in a season where he's scored very little and been largely anonymous.

Ok, dropping out of form or non-playing players I get.  In fact it's long overdue.  However, not picking in-form ones like Shinnie and ESPECIALLY Callum McGregor is utterly beyond me, especially when a never-in-form teammate of McGregor is in there.

A total disgrace that a bang in form player from the team that's light years ahead of the rest of the country isn't included, even just to give him the experience.  Truly baffling.

Are there any actual right backs in this squad? 

Or are we relying on Tierney out of position again? I know the boy is good but what happens to him if he makes a mistake that costs us? 

The TA aren't normally discerning enough to give him the benefit of being played on the wrong side of the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Are there any actual right backs in this squad? 

Or are we relying on Tierney out of position again? I know the boy is good but what happens to him if he makes a mistake that costs us? 

The TA aren't normally discerning enough to give him the benefit of being played on the wrong side of the pitch. 

Strachan has listed Anya as a defender, despite the fact that Strachan used to play him mostly at left-wing, so that means he's now an accomplished right-back. 

It's the eye for a player that means Strachan can see a left-winger and a right-back in the same player that sets our manager apart from your ordinary punter. 

50 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Strachan has listed Anya as a defender, despite the fact that Strachan used to play him mostly at left-wing, so that means he's now an accomplished right-back. 

It's the eye for a player that means Strachan can see a left-winger and a right-back in the same player that sets our manager apart from your ordinary punter. 

? I think you've hit that nail bang on Parky. 

So there are apparently no good Scottish right backs according to Strachan. We're making do with a left back or a left winger. 

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

Ok, dropping out of form or non-playing players I get.  In fact it's long overdue.  However, not picking in-form ones like Shinnie and ESPECIALLY Callum McGregor is utterly beyond me, especially when a never-in-form teammate of McGregor is in there.

A total disgrace that a bang in form player from the team that's light years ahead of the rest of the country isn't included, even just to give him the experience.  Truly baffling.

also after he picked, and capped and was man of the match and said it was the best debut for Scotland of all time, his colleague Armstrong

so he applies the same logic to McGregor and doesn't pick him

but picks mcginn who he knows he won't use

and add bannan too

baffling indeed

Edited by Bino's

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

At least Tom Cairney is still in there which I suppose is something. 

Four goalkeepers FFS.

It is mentioned in the STV article above that Marshall is carrying an injury and Hamilton is there only as a back up to him. 

11 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

It is mentioned in the STV article above that Marshall is carrying an injury and Hamilton is there only as a back up to him. 

In that case he shouldn't have picked Marshall. 

Strachan really does beat Vogts in the lottery approach to call ups.

7 hours ago, borojock said:

Rhodes - Barely plays for Sheff Weds I bet they are regretting buying him for the amount they are set to pay.

He is only on loan at Sheff Weds

Surprising McGregor isn't involved, but equally questionable whether this as a good game to bring in players that haven't been in previous squads. I hope he plays the team that started against Slovenia. Snodgrass down the right instead of Forrest and Fraser down the left is the only change worth making.

Edited by the_fadiator

7 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Snodgrass has been getting a game - started yesterday in fact. Although fair to say he hasn't been anywhere near as effective lately.

Is that because at Hull he was playing on the right and cutting inside, whereas at West Ham he's been played on the left. He's good on the right, not so on the left. Sure I read something like that.