Team v England - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v England

Scout

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MorayCupMan
39 minutes ago, the_fadiator said:

Surprising McGregor isn't involved, but equally questionable whether this as a good game to bring in players that haven't been in previous squads. I hope he plays the team that started against Slovenia. Snodgrass down the right instead of Forrest and Fraser down the left is the only change worth making.

I am pretty sure he will have the same starting line up as he did against Slovenia.....best Ive seen us play for a while.. also pretty certain Fraser will get a run out in this game at some point...really looking forward to see him play

Edited by MorayCupMan

42 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Snodgrass is massively over-rated and shouldn't be near the starting XI. 

Snodgrass "shouldn't be near the starting XI" everyone. 

Yes ive checked and re-read this and that's what it says.

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

? I think you've hit that nail bang on Parky. 

So there are apparently no good Scottish right backs according to Strachan. We're making do with a left back or a left winger. 

Tierneys performance at right back was so good that he has solved that problem for us hopefully. Strachan can't win here, if he plays anyone but Tierney at right back surely people, myself included would be greetin about that. He's got this one right I reckon.

59 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Tierneys performance at right back was so good that he has solved that problem for us hopefully. Strachan can't win here, if he plays anyone but Tierney at right back surely people, myself included would be greetin about that. He's got this one right I reckon.

One game proves he had one good game there.

It's a step up in quality in the opposition. 

I'm not saying Tierney can't do it but it's a definite gamble and if Strachan was any good as a manager he'd have solved this lack of right back issue before now. His hand has been forced into playing Tierney and now he's hoping it keeps working. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

2 hours ago, JECK said:

he's been awful since he moved to west ham

the only decent half of football he's played was the first half v slovenia

so h might still have a shout

that and strachan rarely takes form into the equation

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

One game proves he had one good game there.

It's a step up in quality in the opposition. 

I'm not saying Tierney can't do it but it's a definite gamble and if Strachan was any good as a manager he'd have solved this lack of right back issue before now. His hand has been forced into playing Tierney and now he's hoping it keeps working. 

Ok then who do we play at right back seeing as you don't seem keen on Tierney playing there ? 

What exactly do you want Strachan to do when there are simply no Scottish right backs available ? It's out of his hands. This is actually one thing we can't blame him for.

I want Tierney to continue at right back. The kid is a good footballer, perhaps arguably the most talented player we have and he should do well. And even if he does have a bad game I still want him to carry on there as I think he'd be better option than Paterson.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Got to say I'm very surprised by the clamour for McGregor now. He's been lambasted and called uselessby so many people on here, the sudden outcry is amazing. Personally I feel sorry for shinnie, the guy has been fantastic for a few seasons now, looks like his face doesn't fit and that's it.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ok then who do we play at right back seeing as you don't seem keen on Tierney playing there ? 

What exactly do you want Strachan to do when there are simply no Scottish right backs available ? It's out of his hands. This is actually one thing we can't blame him for.

I want Tierney to continue at right back. The kid is a good footballer, perhaps arguably the most talented player we have and he should do well. And even if he does have a bad game I still want him to carry on there as I think he'd be better option than Paterson.

I thought Paterson was still injured?

It's too late to do anything but play Tierney now. This has been an issue since the start of the season and Strachan has done nothing about it. Why wasn't Bardsley called up? He's has been a regular in the EPL most of the season. Now he's been out of the Stoke side since March, so probably no use for this game however if he'd already been playing for us it would be different. 

It's not this game or Tierney that's the issue, it's Strachan's lack of action. 

10 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

15 hours ago, Parklife said:

Who else could we play at RB? The only one that I can think of is Ziggy Gordon or Whittaker?

Baffled by McGregor's absence. He has won me over these last few months. Bannan looked good the other night against Huddersfield, Forrest has yet to do anything of note in a Scotland jersey (apart from miss a good chance against Lithuania!). Shinnie is really unlucky, I'm not sure what is going on there.

Surprised by Jack Hamilton's inclusion, to be fair I haven't seen Hearts this season, so can't comment on his ability or personal form. Surely this was the perfect time to include Archer into the squad? On a high after promotion, etc.

29 minutes ago, runningtings said:

---------------- Gordon 

Tierney -- Martin -- Mulgrew -- Robertson 

-- --------- Brown --- Morrison

Fraser ------ Armstrong ------ Snodgrass

-------------- Griffiths 

Would be my team too, with the exception of Forrest for Snoddy. Just think Snoddy lacks a bit of pace and when he's out wide he struggles to go by a man, same as Ritchie when he plays - both decent players with good left pegs but just not quick enough to play out wide.

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's too late to do anything but play Tierney now. This has been an issue since the start of the season and Strachan has done nothing about it. Why wasn't Bardsley called up? He's has been a regular in the EPL most of the season. Now he's been out of the Stoke side since March, so probably no use for this game however if he'd already been playing for us it would be different. 

It's not this game or Tierney that's the issue, it's Strachan's lack of action. 

None of this makes sense to be honest. 

Are you suggesting that had Bardsley played against Slovenia (in place of tierney) we'd be more than happy to throw him in against England despite him not playing since March? Or even worse give Tierney his first start at right back vs England? Or plan C? 

All sound like nightmare scenarios. 

As it happens, Strachan didn't play Bardsley. He played Tierney. And it worked out brilliantly, allowing us to play two of our strongest players effectively (one out of position). And now we can play Tierney vs Eng, with him having a bit of confidence in his ability to play RB. Every selection is a risk, but this sounds much more favourable than any of your Bardsley nightmares.

If there is criticism of Strachan, it's not trying this out sooner, as there had been a clamour for it amongst some fans.

22 hours ago, JECK said:

He might be right you know. 

I'm a fan of snodgrass but he's just not performed for us recently. And with poor club form it's difficult to keep backing him...

Snodgrass has been excellent doon sooth until he joined West Ham and was played out of position and expected to be Payet's replacement. he's one of our better players and a leader. It'd be nuts not to start him.

And is Tierney a safer right back back than Robertson a left back?! I'm sure both will play at the highest level, but Tierney's the better defender. Robertson's recent performance against Sterling doesn't bode well...

22 hours ago, g@un said:

Surprised by Jack Hamilton's inclusion, to be fair I haven't seen Hearts this season, so can't comment on his ability or personal form. Surely this was the perfect time to include Archer into the squad? On a high after promotion, etc.

Having watched him all season i am amazed at his inclusion, there must be better options than FlapJack

21 hours ago, runningtings said:

---------------- Gordon 

Tierney -- Martin -- Mulgrew -- Robertson 

-- --------- Brown --- Morrison

Fraser ------ Armstrong ------ Snodgrass

-------------- Griffiths 

Think you have most the team there, but suspect Forrest will start ahead of Fraser (over the last year, bar friendlies, Forrest has basically cemented his place in Starchans side when qualifiers come along).... also got a feeling he will do the opposite of what he did v Slovenia, and will start Chris Martin up front and bring Griffiths on fresh in the 2nd half.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Think you have most the team there, but suspect Forrest will start ahead of Fraser (over the last year, bar friendlies, Forrest has basically cemented his place in Starchans side when qualifiers come along).... also got a feeling he will do the opposite of what he did v Slovenia, and will start Chris Martin up front and bring Griffiths on fresh in the 2nd half.

Is there anyone other than Strachan who would play Forrest ahead of Fraser?

To be fair, Steven Fletcher has done well recently, should def be ahead of Chris Martin. Would prefer Griffiths to start though.

In the old days of 2 up front, Fletcher and Griffiths would've made a good partnership. Worth a try if we're behind with nothing to lose.