Team v England - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v England

Scout

19 hours ago, the_fadiator said:

Snodgrass has been excellent doon sooth until he joined West Ham and was played out of position and expected to be Payet's replacement. he's one of our better players and a leader. It'd be nuts not to start him.

And is Tierney a safer right back back than Robertson a left back?! I'm sure both will play at the highest level, but Tierney's the better defender. Robertson's recent performance against Sterling doesn't bode well...

That has been my mind set all campaign re Snodgrass. However, he's been one of our stand out under-performers (since Malta) and I was relieved when he was taken off vs Slovenia. 

Given his current form for both club and country I think you'd be nuts not to have some doubts. We keep starting him on the belief that he will come good and perform to his ability, but he's underperformed time and time again. Maybe it'll be different this time. But maybe it won't. We have options in this position and he should be far from a shoe-in given his poor form.

We don't need to overthink LB/RB. It's Robertson and Tierney.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that not a very inexperienced squad for a big night like this

I think we can get at these guys and unsettle them

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley); Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham); Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City); Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

is that not a very inexperienced squad for a big night like this

I think we can get at these guys and unsettle them

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley); Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham); Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City); Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

Aye, hardly any of them have played in big games.

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I read today that the squad is to be cut down to 23 players this week. 

I don't think anyone has withdrawn yet. Tierney looks likely to be out. 

Who will be cut? 

I can't see Tierney being out with a split lip. 

Unless the concussion rule still applies? And I'm no even sure it does (or that he suffered from it).

10 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I can't see Tierney being out with a split lip. 

Unless the concussion rule still applies? And I'm no even sure it does (or that he suffered from it).

Its a broken jaw apparently, so will need a operation (and soon) most likely (but talk today he might play with a gum shield if not as bad as first feared)

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Its a broken jaw apparently, so will need a operation (and soon) most likely (but talk today he might play with a gum shield if not as bad as first feared)

It didn't look like a broken jaw the way he was screaming at the fans when lifting the cup. Fingers crossed he's ok to play. 

12 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It didn't look like a broken jaw the way he was screaming at the fans when lifting the cup. Fingers crossed he's ok to play. 

I would imagine he was high as a kite on pain killers at the time after returning from hospital.

It was Tierney himself who tweeted "worth the broken jaw" on Saturday night after the final, but seems to be have down played to a dislocated jaw and a few missing teeth now.... reports once the swelling has went down we should know tomorrow if he will be able to play v England or needs a operation.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I would imagine he was high as a kite on pain killers at the time after returning from hospital.

It was Tierney himself who tweeted "worth the broken jaw" on Saturday night after the final, but seems to be have down played to a dislocated jaw and a few missing teeth now.... reports once the swelling has went down we should know tomorrow if he will be able to play v England or needs a operation.

Heres hoping Tierney makes it as we really cannot afford to lose any of our top players, Im a bit dissapointed that Matt Philips didnt get back to full fitness as he was on fire before his injury in March. i wouldnt start either Forrest or Snodgrass.

If all are fit id go with 

Gordon

Tierney Mulgrew Martin Robertson

Brown Morrison

Fraser Armstrong Cairney

Griffiths

Edited by Great Scot

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I read today that the squad is to be cut down to 23 players this week. 

I don't think anyone has withdrawn yet. Tierney looks likely to be out. 

Who will be cut? 

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Qualifier
Scotland v England
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Saturday, 10 June 2017, kick-off 5pm

Gordon Strachan has revised his squad for Scotland’s crucial FIFA World Cup Qualifier against England.

After naming an initial 30 man squad, the squad has now been reduced to 24 players.

Celtic midfielder Stuart Armstrong, whose effervescent display earned him man-of-the-match in his debut against Slovenia in March, is one of six Celtic players included in the squad. 

Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser will be hoping to make his debut having been denied a first cap due to injury against Canada and Slovenia.

Scotland will aim to continue the good form which earned them a deserved victory in their last match against Slovenia and breathed new life into the qualifying campaign.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)
David Marshall (Hull City)
Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders
Ikechi Anya (Derby County)
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Stephen Kingsley (Swansea City)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Stuart Armstrong (Celtic)
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Tom Cairney (Fulham)
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)
James Forrest (Celtic)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)
Robert Snodgrass (West Ham United)

Forwards
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
Chris Martin (Derby County)
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

12 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Steven Fletcher should be in instead of naismith. He's hardly played for Norwich last few months and won't comment about Chris Martin.  Thought Fletcher would even start this game 

Suggestion on BBC he is injured which he picked up in 2nd leg of play off semit. 

12 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Ten midfielders remain against the following striking "options":

Forwards
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Jesus.

Forward is a real problem position.  I think Griffiths can do a job for us but he badly needs a goal. That injury just before the Malta game was a nightmare for him because he'd have scored a few against them and Dembele wouldn't have started the Old Firm match which he scored the hat-trick. 

16 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

I think, even with celtic glasses on, they should all start because they are on a roll, used to winning, and play well together. 

I think everyone even without Celtic glasses on would agree & would have expected Callum McGregor to have been in the squad also. 

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Ten midfielders remain against the following striking "options":

Forwards
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Jesus.

Griffiths is the best of a weak bunch there. Shame he's in such 'meh' form. He was really off the pace in the cup final and the few shots he did have were snatched and poor.

Not worth starting Martin though as he'll just plod and kill any attempts of us getting forward. Naismith might be worth a shot if he can get himself psyched up and have one of those all action games he's capable of now and again.

Why have we got such a pishy shower of 'strikers'?