Council elections - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections

Guest flumax

Have done some digging into our 6 candidates. 

We have one SNP candidate- good guy preference 1.

We have a Tory.- w@nk

We have a Lib dem who called The SNP xenophobic and did the better together stuff up here by himself. Locally he wants the new super school in a horrendous pace that would leave the kids with no playing field. Pushed through by the lib dem and independent council.- super

Independent number one is a well known closet Tory, unionist and also messed up the school- obvious  

The other two independents we have are one who is a card carrying memeber of The Tories and part of the cliché pushing through the horrendous site- clear

The last independent we have recently found out previously stood as a UKIP candidate in Aberdeen- UKIP  

Voting all preferences doesn't work here as two wanks get in regardless.

Edited by iainmac1

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Have done some digging into our 6 candidates. 

We have one SNP candidate- good guy preference 1.

We have a Tory.- w@nk

We have a Lib dem who called The SNP xenophobic and did the better together stuff up here by himself. Locally he wants the new super school in a horrendous pace that would leave the kids with no playing field. Pushed through by the lib dem and independent council.- super

Independent number one is a well known closet Tory, unionist and also messed up the school- obvious  

The other two independents we have are one who is a card carrying memeber of The Tories and part of the cliché pushing through the horrendous site- clear

The last independent we have recently found out previously stood as a UKIP candidate in Aberdeen- UKIP  

Voting all preferences doesn't work here as two wanks get in regardless.

IMO, a libdim is less bad than an independent tory , which is less bad than an official Tory .

I wonder if the whole wave of general election rhetoric could have any effects on voters

- because the GE is dominated by UK issues, indyref less immediate/threatening, and maybe campaign literature only about opposing indyref seems llke last months' news - where's your policies???

- because Tories are getting increasing scrutiny and exposure as the 'nasty party' i wonder if it will motivate more non Tories to place Tories lower on the ballot, than they otherwise would

2 hours ago, exile said:

I wonder if the whole wave of general election rhetoric could have any effects on voters

- because the GE is dominated by UK issues, indyref less immediate/threatening, and maybe campaign literature only about opposing indyref seems llke last months' news - where's your policies???

- because Tories are getting increasing scrutiny and exposure as the 'nasty party' i wonder if it will motivate more non Tories to place Tories lower on the ballot, than they otherwise would

I had thought that this year's council elections would be the highest turnout for ages, but that was before the GE was announced. Now I think it will just be normal turnout. Not sure if that's good or bad though?

If SNP take Glasgow I'll be represented at council, Holyrood and Westminster all by SNP.  Members who sign an agreement to never criticise a policy or fellow member.  Politicians bow to the leadership to keep their jobs.  All those new councillors will be looking for a future Holyrood or Westminster promotion

Don't understand why Labour are not boasting of past success, Garden Festival, City Of Culture, Commonwealth Games.  City is transformed from the one I was born into with redevelopment - Merchant City, Royal Concert Hall, Hydro etc.  Nostalgia.

Minus education Glasgow works as a city for me.  Loads of things to do.  Lots for families and toddlers.  An app to report refuse and other problems works. All my streets and roads have been resurfaced.  Not sure if thats an election bribe or spending at end of financial year!

The SNP have mooted expanding the Subway which will never happen. Too expensive.  Every ward will get £1M to spend.  So West End and Pollokshields get same as Drumchapel and Springburn.  Should give it where its needed.

11 minutes ago, Alan said:

Minus education Glasgow works as a city for me.  Loads of things to do.  Lots for families and toddlers.  An app to report refuse and other problems works. All my streets and roads have been resurfaced.  Not sure if thats an election bribe or spending at end of financial year!

Graft, corruption, nepotism, the Glasgow Effect, slum landlords are Labour's legacy to Glasgow.  They make Tammany Hall look like a Boy Scouts jamboree.  

Funny that several council executives are resigning just before the elections.  They know what's going to happen once the books are opened.  

I don't think the SNP will win Glasgow. Labour will probably lose seats but still be the biggest party without an overall majority. They will need to run a minority council or do a deal with another party. Which is what the STV voting system is designed to do.

Just now, Orraloon said:

I don't think the SNP will win Glasgow. Labour will probably lose seats but still be the biggest party without an overall majority. They will need to run a minority council or do a deal with another party. Which is what the STV voting system is designed to do.

There are 85 seats on Glasgow City Council. To win overall control you need at least 43.  Labour have 43 candidates. I suspect a few of them are paper candidates so that they can't be accused of giving up completely.

You might be right that the SNP will not gain overall control, they are standing 56 candidates which is risky if they don't get their vote management right on the day but there isn't a hope in hell that they won't be the largest party.  

For Labour to be the largest party they would have to get something like 90% of their candidates elected and that simply isn't going to happen.

The Greens - although they only have four councillors - are currently the third party in Glasgow.

If the SNP don't take overall control - and I think they will - then the most likely outcome would be a SNP/Green coalition. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

There are 85 seats on Glasgow City Council. To win overall control you need at least 43.  Labour have 43 candidates. I suspect a few of them are paper candidates so that they can't be accused of giving up completely.

You might be right that the SNP will not gain overall control, they are standing 56 candidates which is risky if they don't get their vote management right on the day but there isn't a hope in hell that they won't be the largest party.  

For Labour to be the largest party they would have to get something like 90% of their candidates elected and that simply isn't going to happen.

The Greens - although they only have four councillors - are currently the third party in Glasgow.

If the SNP don't take overall control - and I think they will - then the most likely outcome would be a SNP/Green coalition. 

I hope you are right. Maybe Labour are in a worse state than I thought.

I know it's been said before but heard a few people now commenting on Nicola's backyard being a dump (Govanhill).

fact it's labour not really getting through to a few people.  Although, I have some sympathy with this.  

Last week had three romani women asking for money for the baby and literally a gang of wee kids running about asking every stranger for cash.  odd as f. Why can't the police get involved?  

Think SNP will take Glasgow but they're a fickle bunch.

17 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I know it's been said before but heard a few people now commenting on Nicola's backyard being a dump (Govanhill).

fact it's labour not really getting through to a few people.  Although, I have some sympathy with this.  

Last week had three romani women asking for money for the baby and literally a gang of wee kids running about asking every stranger for cash.  odd as f. Why can't the police get involved?  

Think SNP will take Glasgow but they're a fickle bunch.

Govanhill definitely has a problem with beggars etc, especially children.

I was in the Queens Park Café for a few beers last weekend and there were kids waiting outside for folk leaving/entering. Where I stay (Shawlands Cross) it's fine but Vicky Road area is night and day.

I saw a handy slant on STV voting - if you put just a '1', then everyone else you're in effect putting 2nd equal

Not sure if it's literally true but in effect, I think it sums up, that you need to put as much 'distance' between your first and last...

Edited by exile

On 5/2/2017 at 0:37 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Govanhill definitely has a problem with beggars etc, especially children.

I was in the Queens Park Café for a few beers last weekend and there were kids waiting outside for folk leaving/entering. Where I stay (Shawlands Cross) it's fine but Vicky Road area is night and day.

saw the same thing probably on the same day.  On the other hand, they've invested in new backs.  i've seen it with my own eyes, and it looks much better.  Kids being exploited is a social problem.  The Social or Police really should act.  I was on the phone and the women cut right in front of me begging.  It's bizarre.

Anyway, if the SNP get in power I would expect to see some improvements in this area and Glasgow generally.  Let's see.

I think it'll be NOC.   Weirdly because of turnout and older voters Labour will do better than expected as will a resurgent Tory vote.  The SNP vote is the general consensus but all depends if they can be arsed voting.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

14 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

saw the same thing probably on the same day.  On the other hand, they've invested in new backs.  i've seen it with my own eyes, and it looks much better.  Kids being exploited is a social problem.  The Social or Police really should act.  I was on the phone and the women cut right in front of me begging.  It's bizarre.

Anyway, if the SNP get in power I would expect to see some improvements in this area and Glasgow generally.  Let's see.

I think it'll be NOC.   Weirdly because of turnout and older voters Labour will do better than expected as will a resurgent Tory vote.  The SNP vote is the general consensus but all depends if they can be arsed voting.

SNP's plan for Govanhill if they are in control of the council. 

https://snpforglasgow.scot/journal/plan-for-govanhill/#pos_2240

Tories are clearly feeling empowered by shouty Ruth. Lots of abuse being aimed at SNP folk today. Just about to head to the polling station for a couple of hours - give me just one Tory mouthing off, just one!

Very civilised where I am apart from one UKIP guy venting 20 mins of abuse. He was  ragin cos their was no UKIP candidate on the ballot papet. He brought his voting slip out the polling station , chucked it at us and scurried away muttering  about Syrian refugees.   

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Vote early, vote often.

9 hours ago, Flure said:

Ah, the Glenrothes Labour mantra.

I still search for any information about that. Totally dodgy losing the one thing that grounds the election in fairness.

Dodgy as feck.

Just had a look at the English council elections (10 declared out of 34) so far. Conservatives doing well as was expected, whilst the Lib Dems have not done as well as some thought they would. UKIP are being slaughtered at the ballot box - 39 councillors lost at the time of posting.

In Wales (9 declared out of 22) Labour have suffered some losses but remain the largest party. Independent candidates have done well there. Again an underwhelming Lib Dem showing. 41 elected for Plaid Cymru so far, 12 ahead of the Lib Dems, fingers crossed that there are a few more.