Council elections - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections

Guest flumax

It appears that the UKIP vote has went, almost in it's entirety, to the Tories. 

Resulting in big Tory gains and Labour losses. The Labour vote holding up bodes reasonably well for June 8th IMO. In the next 5 weeks of the election campaign, Labour need to continue the good start they've made. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Just read a good line on twitter: 

"UKIP has lost all of their seats but have won control of the Conservative Party" 

There's a lot of truth in that.  

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not half

Lincolnshire, vote share:

Con: 53.4% (+17.4)

Lab: 19.3% (+0.7)

UKIP: 7.5% (-16.8)

LDem: 4.6% (+0.1)

Grn: 1.5% (+1.4)

Oth: 13.7% (-2.7)

it's not as if all Ukip voters should be tories though in Lincoln.  Many must be working class, former Labour.  It's a sad sight.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Just read a good line on twitter: 

"UKIP has lost all of their seats but have won control of the Conservative Party" 

:lol:  although I really shouldn't be laughing as it is so close to the truth

5 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

it's not as if all Ukip voters should be tories though in Lincoln.  Many must be working class, former Labour.  It's a sad sight.

Everyone else's vote has held up there, it's a straight swap from UKIP to the Tories. 

There are plenty of right wing xenophobic working class people. 

Speculation SNP in Glasgow will be largest party, but no overall majority

Jamie McIvor

BBC Scotland local government correspondent

Posted at9:40

Some senior councillors in Glasgow believe overall turnout in the city may have been relatively low.

One senior Labour figure in the city anticipates that it’s likely the SNP will be the largest group on the council, but short of a majority

I hesitate to say this as I know people will have worked hard but if the SNP don't win Glasgow I feel they've only themselves to blame.  Don't think a single ordinary punter could tell you one policy they've put forward.  Maybe they've good ideas but nobody knows about them.  The leaflets received, and that's all i've seen, have been complacent.  No real message.  A couple of the others actually put real on the ground policies.  The SNPs were just factory made posters.

I hope i'm wrong but i don't think enough was done to promote local issues here. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Everyone else's vote has held up there, it's a straight swap from UKIP to the Tories. 

There are plenty of right wing xenophobic working class people. 

i'm aware that's what's happened just it's sad to see.  there's no way Labour shouldn't be able to win these people over.

don't think there are many right wing people of the masses, to be honest.  Racists aye, economically I don't believe so.  But to turn their lot in with the Tories.   So sad.

Many of these people must have been former Labour voters in the not so distant past.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

UKIP wiped out in Essex as well.  A really, really bad night for them. 

As expected really. They have achieved  their raison d'etre - why would anyone vote for them now?

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

I see that ShawMhor late of this parish has been elected to Renfrewshire Council. 

:ok:

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

I see that ShawMhor late of this parish has been elected to Renfrewshire Council. 

Don't say that. There will be some whank who'll try and dig through every post he made in the hope they find something offensive. 

Edited by Parklife

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i'm aware that's what's happened just it's sad to see.  there's no way Labour shouldn't be able to win these people over.

don't think there are many right wing people of the masses, to be honest.  Racists aye, economically I don't believe so.  But to turn their lot in with the Tories.   So sad.

Many of these people must have been former Labour voters in the not so distant past.

Tories picking up seats in Shettleston and Ferguslie Park from Labour.