Council elections - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections

Guest flumax

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not that it's of any relevance whatsoever but I'm pretty sure that Ruth Davidson is Church of Scotland.

It's not to me but it may be to the LOL was the point I was making. ?

Going so-so so far but there should be several alarm bells ringing at SNP headquarters. Clear there is a solid Tory/Unionist support and there's a significant number of seats at risk next month to give SNP a bloody nose.

Quite a lot of Yes supporters raging that folk would even consider voting Tory and seem to forget we still need to win a lot of these voters over to support independence. Too many SNP/Yes types are still too quick to play the "Tories are monsters" hyperbole. It's going to need more intelligent discourse than we're currently seeing to eat into to the now Tory support.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Yup seem to be the one that's interested in what her religion is. 

I think you know fine what point I was making but carry on being pedantic if it floats your boat. ?

4 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Going so-so so far but there should be several alarm bells ringing at SNP headquarters. Clear there is a solid Tory/Unionist support and there's a significant number of seats at risk next month to give SNP a bloody nose.

Quite a lot of Yes supporters raging that folk would even consider voting Tory and seem to forget we still need to win a lot of these voters over to support independence. Too many SNP/Yes types are still too quick to play the "Tories are monsters" hyperbole. It's going to need more intelligent discourse than we're currently seeing to eat into to the now Tory support.

I agree with your first paragraph. 

On the second , I am personally more disappointed and saddened than angry about Labour voters switching to the Tories. Who would vote for a party whose values are poles apart from your own, under any circumstances ? These same people are ridiculing Yes supporters as being nationalistic buffoons whilst whoring their vote to their enemy to save the Union. I doubt these people will ever be won over. I do agree though that there is still an element can be convinced and screaming angrily about the Tories is not going to win them over.  

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

On the second , I am personally more disappointed and saddened than angry about Labour voters switching to the Tories. Who would vote for a party whose values are poles apart from your own, under any circumstances ? These same people are ridiculing Yes supporters as being nationalistic buffoons whilst whoring their vote to their enemy to save the Union. I doubt these people will ever be won over. I do agree though that there is still an element can be convinced and screaming angrily about the Tories is not going to win them over.  

:ok::ok:

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

On the second , I am personally more disappointed and saddened than angry about Labour voters switching to the Tories. Who would vote for a party whose values are poles apart from your own, under any circumstances ? 

Plenty did it when moving from Labour to the SNP due to one policy - Independence :ok:

2 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Plenty did it when moving from Labour to the SNP due to one policy - Independence :ok:

I'm sorry but that represents so few people. People haven't abandoned Labour because of Independence. People have abandoned Labour because: 

- Labour has lurched more and more to the right (changing down south but Scottish Labour is not)
- Labour attacked and stimatised their own voters who favoured Indy.

1 minute ago, Glasgowmancity said:

I agree.

But would you not agree that that the Snp/Labour policies/values are more aligned than Labour/Tory? Its the lurch to their political nemesis that saddens me. I am not sure it was such a gigantic step to move from Labour to SNP. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I agree.

But would you not agree that that the Snp/Labour policies/values are more aligned than Labour/Tory? Its the lurch to their political nemesis that saddens me. I am not sure it was such a gigantic step to move from Labour to SNP. 

It wasn't a step at all. Labour moved to the right, the SNP moved to the Left. The voters stayed in the same place. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'm sorry but that represents so few people. People haven't abandoned Labour because of Independence. People have abandoned Labour because: 

- Labour has lurched more and more to the right (changing down south but Scottish Labour is not)
- Labour attacked and stimatised their own voters who favoured Indy.

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I agree.

I have spoken to many "Labour people" who moved allegiance to the SNP purely to gain independence & with the view of moving back to (a further left) Labour when that has been achieved.  IMO SNP/Tory were far more aligned than any other 2 parties - with one major, and obvious, exception. 

4 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

IMO SNP/Tory were far more aligned than any other 2 parties -

"Were" - being the operative word. 

One Unionist party takes votes from another Unionist party while the SNP have a clear majority ?

Or am i missing something

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

One Unionist party takes votes from another Unionist party while the SNP have a clear majority ?

Or am i missing something

So far - Labour have lost one council, as have the SNP - most are No overall control, with 3 councils still being held by Independents 

As for seats 

Independant - 14

Labour - 68

SNP -17

Tory + 103

Lib Dem - 4

4 minutes ago, Glasgowmancity said:

Fair point - it's a different political landscape now :ok:

Indeed. Hence why saying Labour voters have moved to SNP solely because of Independence is wrong. Former Labour voters have moved to the SNP because Labour have abandoned what they used to stand for and the SNP have moved in to that area.

The Tories have picked up a seat in the Calton as well.  The Calton, FFS.  That can only be Loyalist support from Bridgeton. 

I suspect that's going to be troublesome for them in the future.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I think telling the Tories they are scum is exactly what's needed.Contorting themselves into voting Tory?  These voters should be made very aware of exactly what they've voted for.  

Call it out for what it is.

Im not sure you can call them "scum" one minute and then ask them to vote "Yes" the next. Scottish Labour are all but dead and buried because they took the electorate for granted and played the man instead of the ball when it came to SNP supporters. Im seeing far too many SNP and Yes supporters who havent learned from Scottish Labour's mistakes and think talking at people and throwing names or insults about is the way to woo them. It's really not. There's a huge difference between the Tory party and those who might have voted Tory.

2 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Im not sure you can call them "scum" one minute and then ask them to vote "Yes" the next. Scottish Labour are all but dead and buried because they took the electorate for granted and played the man instead of the ball when it came to SNP supporters. Im seeing far too many SNP and Yes supporters who havent learned from Scottish Labour's mistakes and think talking at people and throwing names or insults about is the way to woo them. It's really not. There's a huge difference between the Tory party and those who might have voted Tory.

Quite right. Clear message of the night - the overwhelming majority of Scots don't want independence, and want to make clear their rejection of a party some of whose supporters call anyone that disagrees with them 'scum'.