Council elections - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Council elections

Guest flumax

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Pretty desperate stuff.  Out of interest, did he have anything to say about the rape clause?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Pretty desperate stuff.  Out of interest, did he have anything to say about the rape clause?

He tweeted some crap about finding lots of hostility to Nicola Sturgeon on doorsteps whilst campaigning 

I asked how the rape clause went down but he hasnt replied .......................

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

He tweeted some crap about finding lots of hostility to Nicola Sturgeon on doorsteps whilst campaigning 

I asked how the rape clause went down but he hasnt replied .......................

You've probably been blocked. 

Got the Glasgow SNP flyer through the door at some point last week.  Have to say find it very disappointing.  The 'what they'll do section' is all generic waffle apart from one about building X number of homes.  Okay, well done but i'd expect a bit more than one concrete policy.

Glasgow has a lot of potential but needs new ideas.  

The city does not dress itself well despite having some quality buildings.  St Enochs square is covered in burd shiit constantly.  Seems daft but it's a good metaphor for Glasgow.  Full of potential but covered in shit.  Thought the SNP would be coming in with bold ideas.  Genuinely thinking of voting for someone else.

5 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

https://www.snp.org/delivering_for_glasgow

here's the link..  looked in vain for an actual manifesto.  Incredibly this vacuous press release as far as i can tell IS IT.  

If anyone knows where an actual manifesto of ideas is, I would genuinely be grateful.  I almost refuse to believe this is all they're offering.

Fill your boots 

https://snpforglasgow.scot/manifesto/

19 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Got the Glasgow SNP flyer through the door at some point last week.  Have to say find it very disappointing.  The 'what they'll do section' is all generic waffle apart from one about building X number of homes.  Okay, well done but i'd expect a bit more than one concrete policy.

Glasgow has a lot of potential but needs new ideas.

The city does not dress itself well despite having some quality buildings.  St Enochs square is covered in burd shiit constantly.  Seems daft but it's a good metaphor for Glasgow.  Full of potential but covered in shit.  Thought the SNP would be coming in with bold ideas.  Genuinely thinking of voting for someone else.

Getting someone to clean up the burd sh*t, as well as empty the bins, would, for me, be a good start.

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Getting someone to clean up the burd sh*t, as well as empty the bins, would, for me, be a good start.

New Neighbourhood Officers will oversee the cleansing and maintenance of local areas - someone who knows the streets and public spaces they’re responsible for and someone that local people will know how to contact to get things done.

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

Cheers.  I'll have a look.

Really annoyed me that leaflet.  Had no solid, material commitments bar one on housing.  Putting through people's doors an SNP poster with generic puff made me feel a bit taken for granted.  

Has there been a campaign?  I couldn't say one creative idea any party plans to do for the city - and i'm interested.  

11 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

New Neighbourhood Officers will oversee the cleansing and maintenance of local areas - someone who knows the streets and public spaces they’re responsible for and someone that local people will know how to contact to get things done.

Seems like fluff to me.  

fail to see how this is different to what we have at the moment.  If you have an issue you call the Environmental people.  So we've to contact someone about litter.  What's the difference.

Putting a new rota for cleansing areas would be a practical change.

A better one would be a general works and overlay package upgrading of local streets.

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Seems like fluff to me.  

fail to see how this is different to what we have at the moment.  If you have an issue you call the Environmental people.  So we've to contact someone about litter.  What's the difference.

Putting a new rota for cleansing areas would be a practical change.

A better one would be a general works and overlay package upgrading of local streets.

Suggest you give the manifesto a read, there's a lot of detail in there that explains what they are proposing.

Here is an interesting article for folk who may not fully understand the STV voting system.

http://thenational.scot/news/15226213.James_Kelly__Here___s_how_the_STV_council_election_system_works_____and_the_best_way_to_use_your_vote/

He is basically saying that if you really dislike the Tories you can help to minimise the number of Tory councilors by making sure you rank every other candidate higher than the Tories. That means using all your preferences. Most folk just rank the candidates that they want elected then stop there. 

17 minutes ago, flumax said:

Still not sure how some don't get, just rank everyone. 

I would guess it's mainly because most folk don't take much interest in the council elections and even less interest in how the voting system works. The Tories seem to be the only party who have worked out how to use the system to their advantage. The SNP clearly know about it but don't seem to be pushing it. That might be because the want to focus on local issues, which is good. But there is no reason why they can't do both. 

I understand the ranking all candidates arguments but in my ward we have 6 people standing and 3 elected.

There is 1 SNP candidate and no Greens or any other independence supporting candidate.

The other 5 candidates are unionists and Tories or Tories in disguise as independents. 

How can I rank the rest of them. Might as well just rank 1 and leave it at that as 2 of the others will be elected regardless.

12 hours ago, kumnio said:

A local councillor I know is running as an independent, he has been a Labour councillor for ten years, he fells he has no chance of being reelected here for Labour. I hope he loses anyway, the man is a cnt.

Tom Ferguson?

34 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I understand the ranking all candidates arguments but in my ward we have 6 people standing and 3 elected.

There is 1 SNP candidate and no Greens or any other independence supporting candidate.

The other 5 candidates are unionists and Tories or Tories in disguise as independents. 

How can I rank the rest of them. Might as well just rank 1 and leave it at that as 2 of the others will be elected regardless.

Rank them all and put the Official Tories last. Well, that's what I would do. I would rather have a Lib Dim or Labour rather than a Tory.

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Rank them all and put the Official Tories last. Well, that's what I would do. I would rather have a Lib Dim or Labour rather than a Tory.

Our lib dem is Jamie Stone who called the SNP all xenophobic and ran the better together stuff up here by himself. Rather have none of them.

Labour aren't even standing a candidate here.

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

Rank on local politics? Don't forget it will be reported that torys are on  the rise with x % seats, y number of seats etc. So I'd still rather see an independent on the books.  if you are going to get a ward /council enacting tory policies at least don't give the media an easier headline 

It's up to you. But there is always a preference: guillotine or hung, Drawn and quartered? 

Guest flumax
12 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Our lib dem is Jamie Stone who called the SNP all xenophobic and ran the better together stuff up here by himself. Rather have none of them.

But he is surely better than an actual candidate infiltrated by xenophobes? 

14 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

The point is, that the STV system not only allows you to vote FOR your preferred candidates, but it also allows you to vote AGAINST the candidate that you dislike the most, by ranking them last.

IMO, a bad Lid Dim is better than any Tory, but I do admit to being very biased.

Here's another interesting take on it.

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/vote-until-you-boak/

34 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Nah, Mohammed Asif. 

Ah right, a few of them seem to be jumping from the sinking Labour ship. I think Ian Borthwick was another one.

Please accept my apologies for suggesting that you might live in the Lochee area.;)