Charlie Adam - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Charlie Adam

robbo cop

Have not seen Charlie Adam's name in a Scotland squad for a long time. While I may not have him in the team, I still think he could do a job coming on. Great left foot passing ability etc. I believe he fell out with Strachan or vice - versa, but if Snodgrass continues to be inconsistent I see no harm in having Adam standing by. I am sure I will get a good few who disagree but I think he is better than a few midfielders who keep making the squad.

Guest allyc

He is too slow.he gets caught in possession all the time.he is not quick enough to get back and track or cover.his hollywood passes end up missing there intended target half the time...other than than he is an excellent footballer.

I forgot how excellent that Bale goal was. TBF, Adam does try to close him (I had remembered him still complaining to the ref when Bale scored), but he should have been focused a lot sooner.

That was back when it felt like a minor embarrassment to be beaten by Wales. Little did we know...

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

I forgot how excellent that Bale goal was. TBF, Adam does try to close him (I had remembered him still complaining to the ref when Bale scored), but he should have been focused a lot sooner.

That was back when it felt like a minor embarrassment to be beaten by Wales. Little did we know...

I'm not saying that Adam should be back in the team but it's very harsh to hold that goal against him.  Bale is/was one of the best players in the world and was on top of his game there.  I suspect he'd have run past the bulk of midfielders there.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm not saying that Adam should be back in the team but it's very harsh to hold that goal against him.  Bale is/was one of the best players in the world and was on top of his game there.  I suspect he'd have run past the bulk of midfielders there.

Makes me laugh how that game keeps getting brought up as a reason not to pick Adam but nobody ever mentions the stupid sending off golden boy Snodgrass got in the home match which cost us the game. 

22 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

no way, had one good half for scotland and that was it, we need energetic players in the mould of armstrong not the polar opposite. 

Totally agree. He had one good showing in over 20 caps - not good enough and besides we need younger talent in there now. Adam is not the future and wasn't even the past.

Looking at our central midfield (which is where Adam is competing for a slot):

Brown is really important.
Armstrong had an excellent debut and is surely in possession of the shirt against England.
Cairney also had a good debut and is at an age where he needs to be in the squad so we have some continuity going forward.
Morrison, good ball retention and unlucky not to score. Deservedly in ahead of Adam.
Fletcher, just there for his leadership and experience now I think. But that 'off the pitch' contribution could be useful in the run in.
McGinn, seen as a future regular my the management. And we do need to bring players thru at his age, else we'll end up with another situation like the end of craig browns era where the entire squad retires at the same time.
Bannan, there's a debate over Adam vs Bannan, tho Bannan is more flexible, can play as a defensive wide man and has better control under pressure. Since at this point (7th choice) we're looking for squad players, then Bannan's probably the better choice.
McArthur.. I can't think of anything good to say about McArthur, sadly.. So sure.. Put Adam in ahead of him.

He needs to lose weight, i watched the stoke this week and unless he has acres of space to pick a pass he loses the ball. He will not get said space at international level.

I think Armstrong, Brown, Cairney, Morrison, McGinn are all ahead of him

• 2 weeks later...