Investment Opporchancities - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Investment Opporchancities

So, after 38 years, I've been handed my redundancy/early retirement notes. I'm just thinking of my opportunities. I'm getting a fairly good package which includes early retirement. I've no family so no need to invest longer than me and the wife lives. Should I go for property or can anyone recommend someone/somewhere I can get good investmwnt advice? PS, I'm mortgage free

1 hour ago, Capital Saint said:

So, after 38 years, I've been handed my redundancy/early retirement notes. I'm just thinking of my opportunities. I'm getting a fairly good package which includes early retirement. I've no family so no need to invest longer than me and the wife lives. Should I go for property or can anyone recommend someone/somewhere I can get good investmwnt advice? PS, I'm mortgage free

if you want to spend all the money why tie up in property ? or are you looking for rental income 

guess depends on your current age, and expectation of how long you plant to live, and when you want to be drawing down money out of investment 

should double check you have 35 years NI contributions, and top up thees if you don't to get full UK State Pension 

need to take a look at your Pension as well if contributions based, and what risk of funds you are into, in case you want to down size risk based on taking money out - only my opinion but don't go near annuities - better off managing cash withdrawal yourself - if you have a defined pension - lucky boy

21 hours ago, Pool Q said:

The best advice I could give is to get advice from a reputable Wealth Management company or IFA, as opposed to asking some random gadgies on of football forum.

you assume they didn't just get a months training - seeing folk cross over from being a Joiner/Carpenter to IFA

now funny enough - a few of the guys who failed their bank exams crossed over to being salesman, and passed exams no bother

What kind of return are you looking for, risk do you want to take, timespan you looking at?

Sticking it in a FTSE tracker is historically the best way of getting a return, provided you have 20 years to wait.

property can also provide reasonable returns but there are two kinds of property. Ones you buy for the expected capital value increase when you sell it - like Edinburgh New Town; and ones that give you income straight away as rental properties, usually in good value but not shitehole areas, like Dunfermline or Grangemouth.

Riskiest is to invest straight into a small company. But unless you really know business and the market segment then you are as well investing in lottery tickets.

The stock market averages about 7% pa over the very long term IIRC (dont quote me).  If that is roughly right then your money in it untouched will on average double every 10 years

http://www.miniwebtool.com/doubling-time-calculator/?r=7

That is not bad at all but it is a very long term average... in reality it is a year on year roller coaster where you might find you cant touch your money for 5 years + due to adverse conditions and if you are not properly diversified you'll probably get investment motion sickness at some point and make a very bad decision. A FTSE tracker or better S&P tracker or diversified ETF portfolio of say 25 stocks is 'safe' (but still a rollercoaster) and then just check in now and then and do not touch it unless you have to.

Property is still good barely but buy smart with both rent income and selling price gains in mind and bear in mind it is the most time consuming and annoying of all investments. Dealing with one set of bad choice tenants alone is enough to make it not worth the effort for the whole year plus if you have better things to do. If you are busy at all , forget property, pain in the archie. Then you have the endlessly and increasingly super hostile attitude of the local councils and the local governments, yeah the snp is one big time, to 'landlords' (booo hisss) ... If you can be bothered with all that then it is a solid way to make modest but well earned investment returns. Nothing spectacular but decent. This may suit you best right now.

Bonds... no yield anywhere really. Same with savings accounts etc. 

All of you have to get into this now because (y)our pensions are typically garbage. DIY time. Spread it around. No eggs in all one basket situation.

Good luck.

Edited by thplinth