thplinth

Tamb - where did it all go wrong?

212 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Worst day I have ever seen on the board. Seems to be spiraling.  So few threads dominating and they are toxic ones. Grim.

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been no proper moderation on this board for a few years now. 

Things that would have seen people (rightly) tossed out for good are now a daily occurrence. The few decent posters left post now more out of habit, and the utter wallopers have moved over from their club boards as they know that internet anonymity and no moderation at all allows them to act the internet hard-man and fire off constant abuse.

I registered with Pie & Bovril a while back (different user name) and it surprised me how much better organised and moderated it is, with a far greater range of posters on it. 

If you compare this board with 10 or 15 years ago, it's like night and day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be worse

We could all live in Chicago (Or Perth)

Calm doon 'you' ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty bored with message boards in general. Must be my age. I like reading a few topics of interest but don't feel the need to contribute anymore. There are some who should think before they post. Their first inclination is to post random abuse or one liners that just don't illicit a response.

Edited by EddardStark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tamb hemorrhaged an enormous of posters in almost one go just recently... that is what has really fecked it sadly IMHO. I have no idea why really. I am not a TA person pretending to be one of you. Only you know why you shafted the tamb. It mystifies me. This board could have been waaaay beyond a footabll board. What a missed opportunity by whom I will never know...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 factors IMHO (in no particular order) 

1. The Independence Referendum

2. The Rangers Situation 

3. Lack of board moderation

4. Cheaper airlines

5. Smart phones/easier access to internet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

5 factors IMHO (in no particular order) 

1. The Independence Referendum

2. The Rangers Situation 

3. Lack of board moderation

4. Cheaper airlines

5. Smart phones/easier access to internet

6. Lists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fringo said:

6. Lists

Original and Genius! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Original and Genius! 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redz said:

Could be worse

We could all live in Chicago (Or Perth)

Calm doon 'you' ;)

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The Tamb hemorrhaged an enormous of posters in almost one go just recently... that is what has really fecked it sadly IMHO. I have no idea why really. I am not a TA person pretending to be one of you. Only you know why you shafted the tamb. It mystifies me. This board could have been waaaay beyond a footabll board. What a missed opportunity by whom I will never know...;)

What is a ' TA person ' exactly  ? Are we a specific species? 

What do people expect from a message board? I dont read any other board. Infact I am only on this one so much as I am signed in permanently as I have no idea what my password is and if I  sign out I will never be back in.  And you need at least a couple of women on here to post shit in order to keep up your equal opportunities quota. 

So what are you looking for? I find the occasional barnys highly entertaining , although at times it can go too far. I also find it an interesting source of information ( though admittedly I am starting from a pretty low threshold..) . If it was all serious topics it would be too dull and if it was all fighting it would be the Jeremy Kyle show. What is missing that was here years ago?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

What is a ' TA person ' exactly  ? Are we a specific species? 

What do people expect from a message board? I dont read any other board. Infact I am only on this one so much as I am signed in permanently as I have no idea what my password is and if I  sign out I will never be back in.  And you need at least a couple of women on here to post shit in order to keep up your equal opportunities quota. 

So what are you looking for? I find the occasional barnys highly entertaining , although at times it can go too far. I also find it an interesting source of information ( though admittedly I am starting from a pretty low threshold..) . If it was all serious topics it would be too dull and if it was all fighting it would be the Jeremy Kyle show. What is missing that was here years ago?  

Probably less petty and sometimes uncalled for personal abuse.

I've missed whatever's gone on in the last 24-48 hours but it seems to have increased over the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fringo said:

Probably less petty and sometimes uncalled for personal abuse.

I've missed whatever's gone on in the last 24-48 hours but it seems to have increased over the last few years.

Is this not what most social media is like these days ? I am only going by what I hear as I am not on it . 

You tend to need controversial characters to liven things up a bit but I agree it can go too far. I just hope no-one gets a pigs heart through the post like poor Sally Metcalfe. If you do the Coronation St website will provide a support line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TDYER63 said:

Is this not what most social media is like these days ? I am only going by what I hear as I am not on it . 

You tend to need controversial characters to liven things up a bit but I agree it can go too far. I just hope no-one gets a pigs heart through the post like poor Sally Metcalfe. If you do the Coronation St website will provide a support line.  

:lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Is this not what most social media is like these days ? I am only going by what I hear as I am not on it . 

You tend to need controversial characters to liven things up a bit but I agree it can go too far. I just hope no-one gets a pigs heart through the post like poor Sally Metcalfe. If you do the Coronation St website will provide a support line.  

I'm on facebook but only have friends/colleagues and some friends of friends.

TAMB is the only message board I've ever been on and I think when it started, because it was smaller (3,000 members when I joined), it felt more like you sort of knew people or got to know them and even met up for games. There's probably 20-30 times more members now so the "extended family" is more like a public arena of strangers where people find it ok to be more personally abusive than if they actually met the person or felt they sort of knew them, as opposed to being in a much smaller group.

As for Corrie - maybe I'll switch to their website next. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fringo said:

I'm on facebook but only have friends/colleagues and some friends of friends.

TAMB is the only message board I've ever been on and I think when it started, because it was smaller (3,000 members when I joined), it felt more like you sort of knew people or got to know them and even met up for games. There's probably 20-30 times more members now so the "extended family" is more like a public arena of strangers where people find it ok to be more personally abusive than if they actually met the person or felt they sort of knew them, as opposed to being in a much smaller group.

As for Corrie - maybe I'll switch to their website next. :)

Maybe you should have to show your 'real face' on the wee picture,  instead of the anonymous character that appears.  That might deter some of the more offensive characters. That said, some of the faces that appear might be more offensive than the language.

Talking of the pictures that folk put up, does anyone else think  the people actually look like these folk in real life? I think I would be shocked , stunned and disappointed if they look completely different. Which of course they will cos you are clearly not a frog in a top hat.

 I only ever read/post on my iphone and one day i was bored out my skull at work and called up the tamb . I was amazed at what the pictures actually were . For months I thought Renfrew blue was Rab C Nesbitt and I thought you were a posh man in a top hat and tails on a pogo stick. 

Anyway I have managed to supply a month of shit on a mere 2 or 3 posts so I will now bow out gracefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Maybe you should have to show your 'real face' on the wee picture,  instead of the anonymous character that appears.  That might deter some of the more offensive characters. That said, some of the faces that appear might be more offensive than the language.

Talking of the pictures that folk put up, does anyone else think  the people actually look like these folk in real life? I think I would be shocked , stunned and disappointed if they look completely different. Which of course they will cos you are clearly not a frog in a top hat.

 I only ever read/post on my iphone and one day i was bored out my skull at work and called up the tamb . I was amazed at what the pictures actually were . For months I thought Renfrew blue was Rab C Nesbitt and I thought you were a posh man in a top hat and tails on a pogo stick. 

Anyway I have managed to supply a month of shit on a mere 2 or 3 posts so I will now bow out gracefully. 

How do you know that's not actually me and my passport photo ?

Not that I think pictures make a difference to how people behave. 

Where's your pic then ? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fringo said:

How do you know that's not actually me and my passport photo ?

You're not allowed to smile on your passport photo. So I don't believe it's you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

You're not allowed to smile on your passport photo. So I don't believe it's you.  

That's me not smiling. You should see me when I'm happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fringo said:

How do you know that's not actually me and my passport photo ?

Not that I think pictures make a difference to how people behave. 

Where's your pic then ? :D

Look I dont even know what my password is for this board never mind post a picture. Of any kind.  I also tend to over promise and under deliver 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, fringo said:

How do you know that's not actually me and my passport photo ?

Not that I think pictures make a difference to how people behave. 

Where's your pic then ? :D

It's funny because I used to think I was arguing with Eoin Jess until I knew what Parkie really looked like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In days gone by, regular posters used to meet up far more often on Scotland trips....I've met quite a few (sadly most of them long gone from the TAMB) and I've never met anyone from here that I didn't enjoy a wee chat and a pint with.

The face to face aspect met you reacted differently with them on here, and 'abuse' between regular posters was almost non-existent.

Sadly...due to several factors such as the national team being pish, different demographics etc.....these days seem to be gone. The board is populated by 'club' posters....many of them younger, and many of them comfortable with the anonymity that social media allows you, in handing out abuse to what they see as 'strangers'.

That, coupled with piss-poor moderation of the board, means that we're seeing more and more vendettas being created where posters constantly play the man rather than the ball.

Strong admin. of the board would create a better board for all of us, but sadly that isn't happening.

 

 

Edited by Rossy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our era is the first in history where pretty much every bit of crap we ever write will be preserved ad infinitum. I have this thought that in 1000 years, some of the great messageboard spats of our time will be on the school curriculum, after Chaucer & Shakespeare but before Lit9000. Children will be taught to produce writing in the style of the TAMB, or that other place where some of the great morons of our time gather, DownAtTheMac (the HTFC board, named after a stadium that isn't actually named that anymore) & the best ways they find to generate wild anger over tiny trivia, whilst call their classmate a Nazi will be on their electronic working wall.

Anyhow, I still think this is a decent messageboard, although I suspect it's a bit to do with being able to revel in somebody else's misery for having to follow a crap football team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

5 factors IMHO (in no particular order) 

1. The Independence Referendum

2. The Rangers Situation 

3. Lack of board moderation

4. Cheaper airlines

5. Smart phones/easier access to internet

Actually the biggest drop off in usage I can recall was just over a year ago when the board format was changed and many people found they couldn't operate it as well from their phones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites