Tamb - Make the Tamb Great Again - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tamb - Make the Tamb Great Again

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Jonathan said:

You are correct, E*st Fife and Hibs are the only two lower league teams to ever win the Scottish Cup.

The mighty Raith Rovers are the only lower league team to win the League Cup.

There is something utterly childlike and cringeworthy about adults inserting an asterisk or two into the name of their rivals team.

bzzzz used to do it with England. Might still do.

Edited by neil r

• 2 weeks later...

If the TAMB was a not for profit run board that channeled any and all operating surplus back to good causes I think it could attract many users back.

If say the sunshine appeal was donated the 100% ownership of the TAMB would people start posting again or is just over... the day of the message board. 

This forum is at a low for sure but the future I think will see it come back. Like disco.

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If the TAMB was a not for profit run board that channeled any and all operating surplus back to good causes I think it could attract many users back.

If say the sunshine appeal was donated the 100% ownership of the TAMB would people start posting again or is just over... the day of the message board. 

This forum is at a low for sure but the future I think will see it come back. Like disco.

If leggings can do it time and time agin then so can the TAMB!

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

The mods were told when they changed the board layout that it'd result in less people using it. They ignored it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Board is not what it was as it's now run seemingly as a pro-independence propaganda outlet. There's about 6 people with about a million posts each who seem to live on it, and set the tone. I'm practically the only anti-SNP voice on here, and that can't possibly reflect the views of the TA as a whole - I reckon there's plenty who have drifted away. I get some choice responses to my very occasional posts, and I genuinely don't care, but I can see how it would put others, who might have a worthwhile contribution to make, off. Raise the level of etiquette a bit, and don't just tell people to GTF just for saying something that goes against the majority opinion. At the moment it's not so much a forum, more of an echo chamber.  

2 hours ago, phil said:

Board is not what it was as it's now run seemingly as a pro-independence propaganda outlet. There's about 6 people with about a million posts each who seem to live on it, and set the tone. I'm practically the only anti-SNP voice on here, and that can't possibly reflect the views of the TA as a whole - I reckon there's plenty who have drifted away. I get some choice responses to my very occasional posts, and I genuinely don't care, but I can see how it would put others, who might have a worthwhile contribution to make, off. Raise the level of etiquette a bit, and don't just tell people to GTF just for saying something that goes against the majority opinion. At the moment it's not so much a forum, more of an echo chamber.  

True. Still good to pop by for a laugh though.

4 hours ago, phil said:

I am pro-independence  and cant really disagree with much of that. Think the board is more pro independence than pro snp right enough, i think you are far from being the only anti snp poster . Whilst there are indeed a number of SNP supporters  there are many who just align themselves to the Snp as they are the main driver of independance, and they can ( quite rightyl) be critical of the party. 

From memory I have  disagreed with your views on some things though I dont recall being overly rude, if I was I apologise, I actually welcome some alternative input. Respect does work both ways right enough ( I am not directly referring to you ) . 

Perhaps we could find mutual ground on the Tempur mattress thread. Do you or Regenmann have any good mattress tips or advice for bad backs? I think I may be pushing it a bit to blame the Tories for my bad back and mattress choice ? 

Haha, I missed that thread. When I had a really bad back I used to get all my hard cover Beano, Dandy, Oor Wullie, etc, annuals (I'm that old), and lay them on my bed. I was right as rain the morning. Blaming Ruth Davidson for you back problems might be going a bit far.

BTW just to clarify, most folk on here are fine, and people can write whatever they want. But, and I hope I'm not being prissy, just saying the tone of debate must put people off sometimes - e.g. posters arranging to meet up in a pub for a fight, and the board suffers as a result. 

12 hours ago, phil said:

just saying the tone of debate must put people off sometimes - e.g. posters arranging to meet up in a pub for a fight, and the board suffers as a result. 

I can see where you're coming from, but i found that hysterical.

15 hours ago, phil said:

Haha, I missed that thread. When I had a really bad back I used to get all my hard cover Beano, Dandy, Oor Wullie, etc, annuals (I'm that old), and lay them on my bed. I was right as rain the morning. Blaming Ruth Davidson for you back problems might be going a bit far.

BTW just to clarify, most folk on here are fine, and people can write whatever they want. But, and I hope I'm not being prissy, just saying the tone of debate must put people off sometimes - e.g. posters arranging to meet up in a pub for a fight, and the board suffers as a result. 

Dont think you are being prissy at all re the square go's, but like Phart says, its that ridiculous it is funny. Best ignored. 

• 3 months later...

Would the admins be prepared to open up on the boards financial issues?

300 a month to pay for the costs and the revenues are not enough anymore... so how much is the monthly shortfall?

What does the 300 quid get spent on and can anything be cut? Seems a helluva lot for a message board...

Maybe the tamb thinktank can save the tamb.

Seems like things went downhill badly quite recently - you see the statistics so what has been the story? Has this been a long term decline? To totally jack it is pretty extreme it seems. No way of scaling back for a while?

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

300 a month to pay for the costs and the revenues are not enough anymore... so how much is the monthly shortfall?

What does the 300 quid get spent on and can anything be cut? Seems a helluva lot for a message board...

Seems like things went downhill badly quite recently - you see the statistics so what has been the story? Has this been a long term decline? To totally jack it is pretty extreme it seems. No way of scaling back for a while?

Actually gutted aboot it closing,, lots of good info and interesting folk on here 

55 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I'd be interested to know as well, and would be interested in any think tank.

Do the current owners actually want to keep the site alive, or get rid of it completely? Would they be willing to transfer ownership (domain names/management/IP etc).

If a rescue package/new solution could be found, what would the current owners be willing to bring to the table?

I am 100% sure that £300 could be found from a few willing donations to keep it running for a few months, until a longer term solution can be found. But what are the owners willing to do?