This Rape Clause Thing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Rape Clause Thing

What's the go with this?

Surely any right thinking person thinks it is completely abhorrent for the Tories to bring in the legislation.

The way I see it is this: As if its not bad enough that the credits are not getting paid for any amount of children, when the population is in decline, that these poor women have to go through the humiliation of proving they were raped to get credits for a third child is beyond belief.

To me it beggars belief.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I find it very hard to believe that any right thinking person can think this is a good idea. 

You're spot on. Who, if their right mind, comes up with this ( except Eton chaps doing it for a jolly wheez obviously)?

How much would it save a year in benefits that they couldn't get by getting multi-corp to pay their share.

It really is a disgrace.

Edited by scoobydoo

Guest flumax

If  I recall it was the snp who led to their being a rape concession in 2015  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33538163 it's Robertson's fault, without the SNP pointing it out there would be no humiliating form filling to prove rape .. .. Now of course,  by  that I mean there would be no concession for any more than 2 kids irrespective of rape. The original unamended  proposal was a strict 2 child policy. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15226407.Some_home_truths_on_Ruth_and_the_still_toxic_Tory_party/?ref=mr&lp=1

About time some home truths were printed about Davidson. People need to see what kind of politician she really is.

In the meantime, The Scotsman (sic) has led in their online edition with around 7 or 8 anti-SNP stories in the last day and a half. 

13 hours ago, Rossy said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15226407.Some_home_truths_on_Ruth_and_the_still_toxic_Tory_party/?ref=mr&lp=1

About time some home truths were printed about Davidson. People need to see what kind of politician she really is.

In the meantime, The Scotsman (sic) has led in their online edition with around 7 or 8 anti-SNP stories in the last day and a half. 

Damn right. The media has been only too happy to go along with the happy smiley Ruthie image, when she's actually a nasty piece of work. 

Edited by biffer

Guest flumax
19 minutes ago, biffer said:

Damn right. The media has been only too happy to go along with the happy smiley Ruthie image, when she's actually a nasty piece of work. 

C9dKhXPXcAA7egT.jpg

Guest flumax

And yet 30% <+/-9% > plan to vote for conservatives. Huge margin of error on 124 respondents, which could mean labour actually polling at 1%... Nah 

Alleged Scottish poll with SNP 48, Con 30 and Lab 10 is a cross-break of **124** respondents

From Britain elects twitter

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All I know is that the Tories will NEVER get my vote. A party with abhorrent policies such as Poll Tax, YTS and more bidding to throttle the NHS and ensuring a Hard Brexit. Also intent on taking unions out of the equation for employees to be treated like dirt by employers. No thanks.

One of the two torys will be getting a ranking from me in the council elections. Penultimate rank will go to the local business owner tory over the misses of the Lord lieutenant of Aberdeenshire who will be left blank as one blank is equivalent to Las rank. 

Thankfully no UKIP, BNP, NF in my ward, but if they were I would rank  vote tory over them. 

10 hours ago, flumax said:

And yet 30% <+/-9% > plan to vote for conservatives. Huge margin of error on 124 respondents, which could mean labour actually polling at 1%... Nah 

Alleged Scottish poll with SNP 48, Con 30 and Lab 10 is a cross-break of **124** respondents

From Britain elects twitter

Iv mentioned this on another thread, the way its going scotland will have 2 partys, snp and conservatives, the middle ground is slowly breaking away 

52 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Iv mentioned this on another thread, the way its going scotland will have 2 partys, snp and conservatives, the middle ground is slowly breaking away 

Of course it will.

The Tories want an Ulster-lite Scotland where anyone who hates the SNP will vote for them because they hate the SNP as well.

Have the braindead fishermen in  the north-east realised yet that it's not the fault of the EU/SNP that they simply can't go out and fish to their hearts content ?

Edited by Rossy

8 hours ago, Rossy said:

Of course it will.

The Tories want an Ulster-lite Scotland where anyone who hates the SNP will vote for them because they hate the SNP as well.

Have the braindead fishermen in  the north-east realised yet that it's not the fault of the EU/SNP that they simply can't go out and fish to their hearts content ?

Braindead is very harsh, yes there is some absolute belters in the industry but they work hard  for their living so deserve a little respect tbf...im not getting into the woes of the industry but the EU has handled the industry poorly, the cfp altough it served a purpose needs redrawn,, but the EU wont listen,, i accept the quota system and greed has played its part in the downfall of the industry also but that is more to do with the older generation of fishermen who sit and lease their quotas out tonhard working young starts,,,,

Anyone else came across the utter scum online who are defending this rape clause ?

The usual argument being from deranged Scottish Tory/UKIP types ranting - "Ah'm no paying fir some tart and her eight manky weans" or "it'll teach these wee hoors tae think twice aboot shagging around !".

Example - 

Then there are others (including some opportunistic Labour supporters, despite Kezia Dugdale to her great credit supporting the SNP on this) demanding that the SNP simply top up the payments and "stop moaning".

Well done to Alison Thewliss (a very hard working constituency MP too) for taking this up and fighting the good fight :ok: Glasgow Central constituency couldn't have asked for a better replacement for that bloody fool Sarwar.

Btw you can sign the official petition (21,390 signatures at time of posting) against it here, it only takes a minute - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/195077 

Curious to see the 'rape clause' on the BBC national news, as an attack on Ruth D, out of context of the UK. i means it's almost being set up as a Scottish story, but isn't it a UK issue and why is there no 'heat' being turned up down south? How come no mud is being thrown at Theresa May?

The report does give a platform to Kezia, to attack both Ruth and a sideswipe at Sturgeon on independence. Classy, BBC.

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Curious to see the 'rape clause' on the BBC national news, as an attack on Ruth D, out of context of the UK. i means it's almost being set up as a Scottish story, but isn't it a UK issue and why is there no 'heat' being turned up down south? How come no mud is being thrown at Theresa May?

The report does give a platform to Kezia, to attack both Ruth and a sideswipe at Sturgeon on independence. Classy, BBC.

Aye it's a UK wide issue. There are a number of other MP's who have been vocal in supporting Alison Thewliss' campaign against it such as Plaid Cymru's Liz Saville-Roberts and Labour's Paula Sheriff, Jess Phillips and Keir Starmer.

On 17 April 2017 at 6:59 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Braindead is very harsh, yes there is some absolute belters in the industry but they work hard  for their living so deserve a little respect tbf...im not getting into the woes of the industry but the EU has handled the industry poorly, the cfp altough it served a purpose needs redrawn,, but the EU wont listen,, i accept the quota system and greed has played its part in the downfall of the industry also but that is more to do with the older generation of fishermen who sit and lease their quotas out tonhard working young starts,,,,

You say that the EU won't listen, perhaps it's a case of the EU not having anything to listen to  the UK government have had other priorities. 

One thing that I've never understood about the attitudes of the fishing industry is that I would have thought that taking into account the single market making it easier to export to Europe and Freedom of Movement meaning that the processing plants have enough workers, they would think that on balance being in the EU was at worst neutral and at best a benefit.  It would then follow that their interests would be better represented by a Scottish Government for who the fishing industry is proportionally more important.   

The likely reality of Brexit for the fishermen themselves will be that - even if the UK government doesn't stitch them up and that's a big if - they might be able to land more fish, but the prices they get at market will be a lot lower as production costs will have gone up.    

I think for some of them, brain dead is not a bad description. 

7 hours ago, aaid said:

You say that the EU won't listen, perhaps it's a case of the EU not having anything to listen to  the UK government have had other priorities. 

One thing that I've never understood about the attitudes of the fishing industry is that I would have thought that taking into account the single market making it easier to export to Europe and Freedom of Movement meaning that the processing plants have enough workers, they would think that on balance being in the EU was at worst neutral and at best a benefit.  It would then follow that their interests would be better represented by a Scottish Government for who the fishing industry is proportionally more important.   

The likely reality of Brexit for the fishermen themselves will be that - even if the UK government doesn't stitch them up and that's a big if - they might be able to land more fish, but the prices they get at market will be a lot lower as production costs will have gone up.    

I think for some of them, brain dead is not a bad description. 

Aye your not far wrong,, part of the mentality comes from the elusion of days gone by and the reminisces that goes with it.. they remember tge "good old days" but forget the rest, the Eu has been detrimental to the industry but they forget the UK have done far worse.. a bit of clutching at straws TBH 

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aye your not far wrong,, part of the mentality comes from the elusion of days gone by and the reminisces that goes with it.. they remember tge "good old days" but forget the rest, the Eu has been detrimental to the industry but they forget the UK have done far worse.. a bit of clutching at straws TBH 

Yeah, nowadays to the fishing industry is a negligible part of the UK economy, so if they can use it as a negotiating chip with another country that values it more highly, they'll throw it away for something related to financial services. It would be a higher priority for an independent Scotland as food and drink exports are a larger part of our economy.

11 hours ago, exile said:

I listened to FMQ's yesterday and Ruth Davidson really was shameful. She might be smiley, laughing, pretendy nice but really, she's a horrible woman who refuses to condemn some of the Tory parties most shameful policies. 

It's a clear consequence of the two child policy that probably was never thought about.  Good for Alison Thewliss for highlighting.

If you asked the public about the two child policy, you would get a more nuanced opinion.  There will be people on this board who agree with it in isolation.  Let's say you agree with that part.  What is the solution for the above?  Have the SNP got a solution or is it simply axe the two child limit?