This Rape Clause Thing - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Rape Clause Thing

12 minutes ago, exile said:

I'm still curious, if this is still 'just' a Scottish story, why?

I see it's trending on Twitter, but doesn't seem to be reported (yet) on UK broadsheets.

Who decides what's news, what's an election issue? Still no mud attaching to May?

Quite simply because it is blatantly obvious that the media is pro-union. An attack on Ruth Davidson (leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party) is, to the media, an attack on the unionist Tory government.

As for no mud sticking to May well it is just another case of the pro-union media at work. We read in the papers May spouting off that the Scottish government should be concentrating on sorting the NHS out in Scotland etc and so people think Scotland is doing shocking on that front because May says so. However, look at the latest NHS stats released in February and they paint a different picture. Scotland has the best A and E appointment times in the UK and Scotland spends the most per person on the NHS. So how about May looks closer to home about NHS problems eh? But because media blows May's trumpet it looks damaging for the Scottish government.

And before I get jumped on - yes I realise things are far from ideal in the NHS in Scotland but we are in a less dire state than other parts of the UK.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, exile said:

I'm still curious, if this is still 'just' a Scottish story, why?

I see it's trending on Twitter, but doesn't seem to be reported (yet) on UK broadsheets.

Who decides what's news, what's an election issue? Still no mud attaching to May? #nastyparty

It is still pretty much a Scottish story - even though it's a UK wide policy and is reserved - and i doubt it will really spread to the rest of the U.K.

I think the reasons are two fold - outwith the fact it's absolutely disgusting. Firstly, it was Alison Thewliss who first picked up on this and hasn't let it go and has been the major driving force trying to get it changed.  In fact she's actually the one responsible for getting the exemption in place.

Theres then a Scottish dimension to it, which is the Ruth Davidson has tried to portray both herself and the party in Scotland as being somehow not being part of the "nasty" party and somehow different.   This has been the coded appeal to people who support the Union but aren't natural conservatives.

Its very noticeable that Davidson was a lot more likely to criticise Cameron than she is May. She can't really do that as although she's not an MP, she's part of the political cabinet and so carries collective responsibility.

Thats why the SNP and especially Labour are jumping on it in Scotland.  For Labour in Scotland, it's a play to Labour supporters who are thinking of supporting the Tories because of the Union, that's not a factor in the rest of the U.K.

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

She can't really do that as although she's not an MP, she's part of the political cabinet and so carries collective responsibility.

Thats why the SNP and especially Labour are jumping on it in Scotland.  For Labour in Scotland, it's a play to Labour supporters who are thinking of supporting the Tories because of the Union, that's not a factor in the rest of the U.K.

Not sure I get that. She's not in May's actual cabinet is she? Or do you mean privy council?

For Labour in Scotland, it's a play to Labour supporters who are thinking of supporting the Tories because of the Union, that's not a factor in the rest of the U.K.

OK so that's why it's particularly acute in Scotland. But at the same time, why wouldn't Jez and Tim be howling about it, surely there is political mileage in attacking the Tories down south? (I'm sorry this sounds like making it a political football but it seems it already well and truly is)

Just seen Kezia's speech. Powerful stuff.

How to be a impassioned politician socking it to the opposition and shaming them to complete silence.

A pity not a peep of this is making the UK 'national' news...

3 minutes ago, exile said:

How to be a impassioned politician socking it to the opposition and shaming them to complete silence.

And a pity her views on the Union are so entrenched

Independence is our only escape from endless energy being wasted fighting draconian Tory policies

19 minutes ago, exile said:

Watched it myself after seeing this.

Excellent speech.

Once holyrood was regarded as a Mickey Mouse parliament,, in the past year or so it's actually shown up Westminster in terms of debate and opposition, it may well be due to the fact that every policy is polarised due to the independence situation, any slip up from either party is pounced on which can only be a good thing 

Wonderful stuff from Kezia Dugdale yesterday. Hopefully that finally gets the message through to the folk who don't see the issue with how the UK Government is treating rape victims. 

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

And a pity her views on the Union are so entrenched

Independence is our only escape from endless energy being wasted fighting draconian Tory policies

Independence may be the only chance Scottish Labour ever see to find a new lease of life and reinvent itself as a serious and relevant political force in Scotland.

How ironic they are so dead against it and willing to share a platform with the evil Tories on the matter.

OK, better never than late, blah, blah.   Re. taxation posts a few days ago...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-graph-that-shows-how-the-poor-are-paying-more-than-the-rich-in-tax-10353982.html

Took me ages to find that I needed to post this under the "rape clause thing". TAMB needs to stay on topic, err :unsure:

Edited by Grim Jim
Ref: www.craigmurray.org.uk