Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jo Swinson is taking on John Nicolson again on a Pro UK and Pro EU ticket

That shows what she thinks of the electorate's intelligence

I got in trouble on twitter calling her, and her party political prostitutes after the student fees fiasco. Really can't stand Swinson, absolute utter idiot of an MP. 

I do hope that the LDs make a few gains in England though. As much as they are utterly dislikable, still better than the Tories. 

Guest flumax
10 hours ago, aaid said:

If you get a chance, have a look at Daily Politics Scotland on iPlayer from earlier today.  A really good discussion with Lesley and Davie Clegg from the Record - who was also pretty good - and Gordon Brewer introduces her as simply "political commentator".  She expands on a lot of stuff from the earlier clip and has some interesting things to say about a potential SNP/Green electoral alliance. 

Starts 08:45 in for anyone else interested. 

Some interesting ideas Inc Joint manifesto. What does the difference between 50-59 seats mean. Good show 

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I got in trouble on twitter calling her, and her party political prostitutes after the student fees fiasco. Really can't stand Swinson, absolute utter idiot of an MP. 

I think i'm going to be the same with Corbyn and his Indy Scotland turbo charged austerity horseshit

Came out with that again yesterday along with accusing the SNP of being right wing

26 minutes ago, phart said:

SNP is Authoritarian not right wing.

Tweet him and tell him it's like Stalin's Russia up here ;)

Edited by Ally Bongo

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Slightly authoritarian but a lot less than any other major party apart from Greens.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

Yeah it's all relative. The context is Corbyn's position. From say Tory they are Libertarian.

From the graph provided there is greater distance between the greens and the SNP than the SNP and the other parties. In that context SNP is pretty neutral, the middle point between the most Libertarian and Authoritarian.

Depends on the weighting of policy etc, regarding the graph.

12 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jo Swinson is taking on John Nicolson again on a Pro UK and Pro EU ticket

That shows what she thinks of the electorate's intelligence

It was a big No / Remain constituency, she could have a chance there.  Nicolson's media profile might work in his favour though...

24 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It was a big No / Remain constituency, she could have a chance there.  Nicolson's media profile might work in his favour though...

Yes

The point being you cant be both Pro UK and Pro EU 

If you are in the UK you are leaving the EU.

Period

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

Period

They are hoping to win seats down south on a Pro EU ticket. And it might work? They have a history of getting folk to vote for them based on promises that they can't deliver. 

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Period

You can still be pro EU after Brexit though.  A lot may depend on how the Lib Dems set out their stall campaigning for B-Re-entry...

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

Period

You can be both pro-EU and pro-UK, that's a perfectly valid point of view to have.

Problem is that you can't *have* both and so there is a choice to be made.  The Lib Dems will try and fudge this but the reality is the Brexit ship has sailed.

In 2015, a lot of the individual SNP candidates were unknowns before the election and it really was a case of the SNP's post IndyRef momentum sweeping all before them.  When Ashcroft carried out the individual constituency polls in Scotland, the SNP were predicted to take Douglas Alexander's seat - which  Mhairi Black ultimately took - before the candidate was selected.

Now it's a bit different that all - Glasgow East and Edinburgh West aside - are known entities and to an extent they will be fighting on their on records alongside national politics.   That probably works in the SNP's favour as unless there is a change in the general political mood - as in 2015 - or the sitting MP has a bad record locally, it's very difficult to unseat an incumbent.

Edited by aaid

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness tomorrow I'd give serious thought to finding this khunt and "thrashing him to within an inch of his life". I despise him. 

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He should have been sacked after his report on Alex Salmond's speech in the referendum. He did a facebook question page - had a go at him where he tried to apololgise - at least I got to swear at him personally. Kuonsberg bias as well -so vehemently anti Corbyn - you can see the venom in her every time she talks about him

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just a wee look at his background on wiki should tell you he's a red hot tory.

"Robinson was a founder-member of Macclesfield Young Conservatives (YC) and rose through the ranks, becoming Cheshire YC Chairman (1982–84) and became a key activist in the moderate-controlled North West Area organisation. Philip Pedley, as National YC Chairman, co-opted Robinson onto the YC National Advisory Committee in 1983 and appointed him National Campaign Director of Youth for Multilateral Disarmament. Robinson was elected National Vice Chairman in 1985–87 and succeeded a fellow moderate, Richard Fuller, when he was elected Chairman of the National Young Conservatives on the moderate ticket against strong right-wing opposition (1987–88).[6]

At university he was President of the Oxford University Conservative Association in 1985.[7][8]"

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Watch these kind of stories dry up when Gideon takes the reigns at the Standard full time.

J

2 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Corbyns brother was quoted yesterday saying that the BBC where nasty bastards and they where out to get him i.e. Robinson and kuenssberg 

I'm not saying that the BBC aren't out to get Corbyn but his brother is a complete loop the loop. 

" Youth for Multilateral Disarmament " ?!?!   Were there really students who sign up for this?   Why?   Most folk were idealists when I was young.   I can only think that they saw themselves as Tory cabinet ministers some day?   Robinson must be so bitter now since he sees himself as a failure.

...I'm pish at debating.   I just get someone saying something to me so far away from what I think should be normal, that I get my gast flabbered such that I don't know what to say to them.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Ruth Davidson just got a bit of a kicking on the BBC UK News there over the rape clause.  Didn't see that coming, I wonder if the honeymoon is over. 

By whom? 

Delicious to see she got a roasting at FMQs on the issue. I'm beginning to wonder if folk are starting to see through the caring, centrist Tory facade for the nasty, uncaring xenophobic that she is.

For me, this is an open goal for the SNP.  An opportunity to demonise her on a scale that is reserved for the likes of Foot, Kinnock and Corby by the right wing media