Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 37 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

The Greens standing in only 3 constituencies should help the SNP as long as the Green voters don't either stay at home or vote Labour/Lib-Dem.

There were 1,345 Green voters in Moray and 1,146 Green voters in Perth and North Perthshire for example that could tip the balance if most of them turn to the SNP.

I've heard that the Green's have also asked their party members, if they are personally willing, in the Highlands and the Islands constituencies to assist the SNP.

I think that Lady Theresa has overstretched herself in her arrogant belief that this was going to be a landslide, ably supported by a 99% complaint media as  normal.

By making the changes to pensions / and social care she has, rather than reach into the left pool, possibly alienated a lot on all sides of the spectrum.

Maybe just wishful thinking but a tenner on Tories with no overall majority.

Edited by mariokempes56

There are two ways of looking at the Tory Manifesto

The first is that they are so confident in winning a landslide on the immigration and Brexit ticket that they can introduce as many draconian victorian policies as they like to keep feeding the rich that it wont matter

The second is they dont want a massive majority so they can roll back on a hard brexit

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The Greens standing in only 3 constituencies should help the SNP as long as the Green voters don't either stay at home or vote Labour/Lib-Dem.

There were 1,345 Green voters in Moray and 1,146 Green voters in Perth and North Perthshire for example that could tip the balance if most of them turn to the SNP.

I've heard that the Green's have also asked their party members, if they are personally willing, in the Highlands and the Islands constituencies to assist the SNP.

Unfortunately I think the UKIP vote going Conservative will more than compensate for the Greens, in Mundell's seat at least.

3 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

I think that Lady Theresa has overstretched herself in her arrogant belief that this was going to be a landslide, ably supported by a 99% complaint media as  normal.

By making the changes to pensions / and social care she has, rather than reach into the left pool, possibly alienated a lot on all sides of the spectrum.

Maybe just wishful thinking but a tenner on Tories with no overall majority.

Jeremy is starting to eat into the the Tory lead in the polls still a wee bit to go mind but as they say every little helps 

Is the winter fuel payment devolved or not?

If it were devolved, why would the Tories be proposing policies for it when the GE wouldn't give them control of devolved powers?

if it's not devolved, why not devolve it, if you think scotland needs a different policy?

It's not devolved until 2019/2020 i believe so dont know what Harrison is gibbering about & why she has had so much "positive" coverage about it

Clearly the MSM dont want to threaten Scottish Tory votes 

Edited by Ally Bongo

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not devolved until 2019/2020 i believe so dont know what Harrison is gibbering about & why she has had so much "positive" coverage about it

Clearly the MSM dont want to threaten Scottish Tory votes 

(I missed almost all the news coverage today)

So are they saying: here's a nasty party policy - cut the winter fuel benefit for most people? - but here's a Scottish twist - we'll pretend to pledge to give Scotland a better deal - in 2019/20? - which means presumably next Holyrood - a pledge which would only be meaningful if the Tories win that Holyrood election? So it's an empty pledge, that a Tory victory in June won't and can't deliver.

But in the meantime they'll cut the benefit anyway, for everyone, so we get 2-3 years of UK Tory chill anyway?

So Ruth agrees with the nasty cut as long as it's the UK policy (though that's something her party can control), but pretends to be against it when it's a Scottish policy she'd get the credit for, but which she's not in control of delivering for the foreseeable future...

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There are two ways of looking at the Tory Manifesto

The first is that they are so confident in winning a landslide on the immigration and Brexit ticket that they can introduce as many draconian victorian policies as they like to keep feeding the rich that it wont matter

The second is they dont want a massive majority so they can roll back on a hard brexit

Well ... *puts tinfoil helmet on* ... I've occasionally wondered if the whole point of this early election is, after everything that's been said, to achieve as soft a brexit as possible.

Seemingly Theresa pays a lot of attention to Mr Theresa, who is immersed in 'the city', and 'the city' aren't very keen at all on a hard brexit.  So what better way to achieve that than to elect even more malleable.

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Well ... *puts tinfoil helmet on* ... I've occasionally wondered if the whole point of this early election is, after everything that's been said, to achieve as soft a brexit as possible.

Seemingly Theresa pays a lot of attention to Mr Theresa, who is immersed in 'the city', and 'the city' aren't very keen at all on a hard brexit.  So what better way to achieve that than to elect even more malleable.

I Agree with that to a point,, its a win win in that regards,, she can turn round and say "well the electorate told me thats what they wanted" irrespective of the fall out.Theres a part of me thats saying the tories are doing far better in scotland than the polls would have us believe.Maybe paranoia but they seem far too confident up here and a GE would not have been called had they any apprehension to the "Scotland problem" 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

and a GE would not have been called had they any apprehension to the "Scotland problem" 

Considering they only have 1 MP the colony would not even come into their heads

When it comes to General Elections the Scottish vote is meaningless regards the result unless a significant number in the rest of the UK vote Labour

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Considering they only have 1 MP the colony would not even come into their heads

When it comes to General Elections the Scottish vote is meaningless regards the result unless a significant number in the rest of the UK vote Labour

Correct, this GE is about one thing and one thing only.  Putting the boot into Labour in England and Wales and so increasing their majority.  They wouldn't have given Scotland a second's consideration. 

One poll in England (exc. Scotland & Wales and NI)shows Lab on 39% - 4% ahead of Miliband. Scotland is way behind thanks to Kezia' slack of support for JC and Murphy before her. If ScotLab were only remoulded in the image of southron Labour we could avoid a Tory govt. Then I think you would find JC more amenable to indy.

10 hours ago, exile said:

(I missed almost all the news coverage today)

So are they saying: here's a nasty party policy - cut the winter fuel benefit for most people? - but here's a Scottish twist - we'll pretend to pledge to give Scotland a better deal - in 2019/20? - which means presumably next Holyrood - a pledge which would only be meaningful if the Tories win that Holyrood election? So it's an empty pledge, that a Tory victory in June won't and can't deliver.

But in the meantime they'll cut the benefit anyway, for everyone, so we get 2-3 years of UK Tory chill anyway?

So Ruth agrees with the nasty cut as long as it's the UK policy (though that's something her party can control), but pretends to be against it when it's a Scottish policy she'd get the credit for, but which she's not in control of delivering for the foreseeable future...

Yes Minister.

13 hours ago, Armchair Bob said:

Unfortunately I think the UKIP vote going Conservative will more than compensate for the Greens, in Mundell's seat at least.

Big disclaimer up front.  I'm not suggesting that this should in any way be an issue and it's certainly not something that concerns me.

That said, I wonder whether Mundell coming out after the last GE will have any impact on his support from more "traditional" conservatives - both small and big 'c'.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

One poll in England (exc. Scotland & Wales and NI)shows Lab on 39% - 4% ahead of Miliband. Scotland is way behind thanks to Kezia' slack of support for JC and Murphy before her. If ScotLab were only remoulded in the image of southron Labour we could avoid a Tory govt. Then I think you would find JC more amenable to indy.

You are forgetting the political awareness awakening in Scotland in 2014

Labour are dead in Scotland and are never coming back with regards to winning elections regardless of how the branch office morphs itself

Edit - i believe Dugdale has more or less just said people in the borders should vote Tory to stop the SNP.

Edited by Ally Bongo

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You are forgetting the political awareness awakening in Scotland in 2014

Labour are dead in Scotland and are never coming back with regards to winning elections regardless of how the branch office morphs itself

Edit - i believe Dugdale has more or less just said people in the borders should vote Tory to stop the SNP.

Plus look at how Labour councillors were so happy to jump into bed with the Tories to keep the SNP out of control in Aberdeenshire. That speaks volumes for how far detached they are from independence seekers.

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And, their sole MP is doing the same. He wants Labour voters to vote Tory to keep the SNP out. Except in his own constituency, of course. Where he wants Tories to vote for him. He is even happy to sell out his own party's candidates, in other constituencies, in order to keep his own snout in the gravy boat.

Lets be honest here it should be no surprise that Labour so fear/hate the SNP. The rise of the SNP has coincided with the collapse of Labour in Scotland and with it goes any chance of forming a government in Westminster. If it means cosying up to the auld enemy (the Conservatives) then sobeit. They have to find a way to discredit the SNP in anyway and look to weaken them in anyway and if that means backing the Tories on anti-SNP stuff then they will do it.

Edited by Caledonian Craig