Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 94 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I get that you're being sarcastic but Ross Thomson is also gay so it kind of ruins your line. 

I don't care if he's gay, straight or an Airdrieonian. Their morals go out the window when it comes down to it. No one should be surprised Mundell and Davidson haven't said anything as they are more experienced. They'll take their time and take advice/instruction on how to put a positive spin on this shambles. 

16 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

I don't care if he's gay, straight or an Airdrieonian. Their morals go out the window when it comes down to it. No one should be surprised Mundell and Davidson haven't said anything as they are more experienced. They'll take their time and take advice/instruction on how to put a positive spin on this shambles. 

there seems to be a lot of gay people in politics.  Doesn't bother me at all ; wonder why it does seem to attract the gay community disproportionately.  I suppose being discriminated against pushes many that way.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

there seems to be a lot of gay people in politics.  Doesn't bother me at all ; wonder why it does seem to attract the gay community disproportionately.  I suppose being discriminated against pushes many that way.

I doubt it's that disproportionate.  Scotland's probably a bit unusual with two Lesbian and one bisexual party leaders, so will give them a higher profile, but in terms of overall numbers, if anything the LGBT community is probably underrepresented as is the case with other minority groups. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

I doubt it's that disproportionate.  Scotland's probably a bit unusual with two Lesbian and one bisexual party leaders, so will give them a higher profile, but in terms of overall numbers, if anything the LGBT community is probably underrepresented as is the case with other minority groups. 

I didn't know so looked it up.  Looks like anywhere between 6-8% gay.  between 8-10% in Parliament.

Quite interesting they're one of few minority groups not over represented (or about right).  And many disproportionately in high office.

yeah, Scotland seems to be doing well there on that front.

Guest flumax
47 minutes ago, aaid said:

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

On 2017-6-12 at 9:53 PM, Haggis_trap said:

Guest flumax
29 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I didn't know so looked it up.  Looks like anywhere between 6-8% gay.  between 8-10% in Parliament.

Quite interesting they're one of few minority groups not over represented (or about right).  And many disproportionately in high office.

yeah, Scotland seems to be doing well there on that front.

7% Westminster

https://www.google.com.ua/amp/metro.co.uk/2017/06/09/record-number-of-openly-gay-mps-elected-to-house-of-commons-6698513/amp/

Same for holyrood 

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_5735f852e4b01359f686e596

article covering the subject  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lgbt-mps-election-results-final-seats-record-numbers-gay-lesbian-bisexual-trans-a7782831.html

I do find May's wish for an independence referendum to be taken permanently off the table as ridiculous.

Sturgeon's announcement earlier on suits me and is the course of action I'd sooner she had taken before asking for indyref2. Sit back and wait for the awfulness of the deal the Tories will get on Brexit and then start moving on with an indyref push after it becomes clear that Scotland's interests have been ignored.

She's put herself in this position and is too stubborn to change.  The downward trend will continue as services decline and "getting on with the day job" in used on loop until we all go a bit crazy. 

Scotland leaving the EU is not as important for the majority as she wants it to be.  I'd argue she doesn't even care that much as the SNP Remain campaign was lacklusture with Wetherspoons spending more in campaign than the SNP. 

She can't even use European Union as a description and has to use "single market" as the focus groups have told her.  

Like all politics at the moment it's directionless, looking for grievance over positives and needing something unexpected from external forces to happen.

35 minutes ago, Alan said:

She's put herself in this position and is too stubborn to change.  The downward trend will continue as services decline and "getting on with the day job" in used on loop until we all go a bit crazy. 

Scotland leaving the EU is not as important for the majority as she wants it to be.  I'd argue she doesn't even care that much as the SNP Remain campaign was lacklusture with Wetherspoons spending more in campaign than the SNP. 

She can't even use European Union as a description and has to use "single market" as the focus groups have told her.  

Like all politics at the moment it's directionless, looking for grievance over positives and needing something unexpected from external forces to happen.

Can you view BBC Northern Ireland live Alan. They have announced they will be screening your Orange Men march in Belfast live. :lol:

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Toepoke said:

I'll be amazed if it happens that soon.

Can't see Yes winning in that timescale either.

Agreed - Autumn 18 is when Brexit is expected to be finalised

It wont be

No actually I do see what he is saying. The money being paid is sod all to do with Barnett Formula payment so as such we can't have a gripe about it. It is a payment paid in another way. Imagine if Labour had won and needed a deal done with SNP then I am sure we'd be squeezing Labour for a payment of similart amount. The real wrong here is the deal has been done with the DUP - a distasteful party with links to terrorism. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No actually I do see what he is saying. The money being paid is sod all to do with Barnett Formula payment so as such we can't have a gripe about it. It is a payment paid in another way. Imagine if Labour had won and needed a deal done with SNP then I am sure we'd be squeezing Labour for a payment of similart amount. The real wrong here is the deal has been done with the DUP - a distasteful party with links to terrorism. 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Right

Step back for a moment and think about what happens if brexit morphs into a impoverishing disaster for Scotland.

Do you think it's outrageous that the people of Scotland should be given a chance to reject that if there is an alternative - granted that alternative has yet to be laid out ?

You have the ability to accept it as much as you have to reject it

The media of any other country in the world would see this as a positive

Why doesnt ours and why dont you and many people like you ?

Are we a colony after all ? 

14 hours ago, Nobby said:

This deal is no different to any other deal that political parties make when needs must. The fact that people are bleating about a deal where an extra 1bn is being spent on public services is priceless. oh the irony ! Sturgeon wouldve done just the same to Corbyn if the situation allowed,

yes indeed, the idea the SNP could have extracted such a deal or held sway over a minority Labour government is exactly what riled 'middle England' and caused such a fuss that dominated the closing stages of the 2015 election. So yes it would have been a big deal and the media made a huge play of it. In contrast, they are downplaying this, as if it's routine but it isn't, it's unprecednted. 

14 hours ago, Nobby said:

As for claims that the deal is risking the good friday agreement again, really ! more money being pumped into northern ireland is going to cause a return to the troubles !!!!!

but it is an issue, an issue of democracy, and Irish nationalists have expressed concern about it, even to the point of legal challenge.