Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

7 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

The opposition parties UK wide should work together....
Select a single "stop brexit" opposition candidate in each seat to stand against the Tories....
This would need to be a pact to work.
Put forward the existing MP / most popular candidate in region (.... irrespective of party) to reduce Tory majority.

Play the Tories at their own political games.

That might not be too bad an idea but the Labour party can't even work with themselves never mind anybody else. A non starter I would think.

And all the brexiteers would just vote Tory. Even bigger majority.

This is May sensing blood in England in respect of Labour.  I reckon they will get a 70 + majority overall, ensuring no threat to Brexit within parliament and a sentiment of "settled will" for leaving Europe (despite whatever happens in Scotland).

Meanwhile up here, can see Tories winning 4 seats from SNP as unionist vote solidifies behind them, they will then use that as argument that tide is turning against SNP.  Think SNP will also lose Edin West (my MP) as Michelle Thomson, no matter there has been no convictions is now toxic. 

She is obviously pushing this before the real pain of Brexit is visible to everyone. Corbyn, would be wise to bloody her nose and embarass her by not supporting this in parliament, however would make him look afraid, which to be fair everyone knows anyway!

30 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How valid are previous poll going to be when this will be a single issue election?

So, sitting Tory MPs who were mostly remain (right?), will campaign for hard Brexit just to hoover up Labour votes, and fcuk the country over again?   Will UKIP put up any opposition to Tories?   Liberals surely have an open goal down south to make a big recovery though.

This election, which is pure opportunism by May, will be SNP v Tories in Scotland.  Quite possibly the Tories will win a few seats due to the collapse of the Labour vote, as the unionists will probably move to the Tories in some areas.

Who will be first to say "Now is not the time"?  Utter hypocrisy by May.

Very important that the SNP win this in Scotland and win well - Difficult to achieve the near whitewash of 2015 but we have to send the message that we have little time for the Tories.  Any hint otherwise and Scotland will get even more screwed.

Edited by Alibi

Jesus this is quite alarming news, I think it's a very smart thing for May to do. If the Tories do well, it will be a hammer blow to the pro Europeans, and could also be a massive factor in a second referendum. 

Incredibly important for the SNP to do well. They can't do as well as last GE, but can't afford to do badly. 

I hate the Tories with every fibre of my being but you have to say that this is a master stroke. It's a lose lose situation for the SNP and Labour will be obliterated. I hope there's a back up plan to counter this ?

It could be potentially hilarious/disastrous for May; if somehow people throughout the UK backed the second-biggest local party to the Tories and returned a hung parliament. I doubt that will happen though going by polling.

I think the SNP could lose a few seats - between five to ten, more? Or is that a tad pessimistic? This vote is almost as important as the referendum, so its vital the SNP get their core vote out. I don't think they can beat their 2015 showing, but returning 45 plus MPs would be an excellent return.

Tories will romp home in England, Wales may well see a few more Tories just like Scotland, NI most likely the same - due to the boundaries, and UKIP will be down to about 5% of the vote - mostly all going Tory.

Interesting. Considering she said a month ago that there were no plans for a general election. Why the sudden change? Nothing to do with the Brexit deal to be an utter shambles, and she can then say 'suck it all up. You turkeys voted for this'.

Edited by weekevie04

28 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Liberals surely have an open goal down south to make a big recovery though.

Agreed. I think they could do pretty well on a reverse Brexit ticket.

Ruth Davidson to stand for the Tories in Edinburgh? Chance of a dream move to Westminster for her...

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Agreed. I think they could do pretty well on a reverse Brexit ticket.

Ruth Davidson to stand for the Tories in Edinburgh? Chance of a dream move to Westminster for her...

It's an interesting theory, and not too unrealistic. Although have you seen some of the Scots Tory dross in Holyrood. Who would lead them? I don't think Jamie Green can even speak!

She can swan out of Scotland just as the scrutiny of her leadership begins to start - rape clause - and people finally beginning to see through the sitting on tanks, etc. And be lauded as the savior of the Tories in Scotland, and a nice wee cabinet job for her.

Edited by weekevie04

I think this leaves some SNP MPs vulnerable in the face of tactical voting. I don't see massive numbers of Labour switching to the Tories in sufficient numbers, but where the Lib Dems are strong they could get over the line with tactical voting (e.g. East Dunbartonshire, Edinburgh West, Gordon, North East Fife). The Tories will have their eyes on the very tight Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, as well as Dumfries and Galloway, and East Renfrewshire.

9 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It's an interesting theory, and not too unrealistic. Although have you seen some of the Scots Tory dross in Holyrood. Who would lead them? I don't think Jamie Green can even speak!

She can swan out of Scotland just as the scrutiny of her leadership begins to start - rape clause - and people finally beginning to see through the sitting on tanks, etc. And be lauded as the savior of the Tories in Scotland, and a nice wee cabinet job for her.

I suppose she could keep her Holyrood job too. It's been done in the past.

Also I wonder if Mhairi Black will take the opportunity to stand aside?

Edited by Toepoke

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I suppose she could keep her Holyrood job too. It's been done in the past.

Also I wonder if Mhairi Black will take the opportunity to stand aside?

She said at the SNP conference a few weeks ago that she was staying on and that that article in the Guardian had taken her words out of context.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

She said at the SNP conference a few weeks ago that she was staying on and that that article in the Guardian had taken her words out of context.

Fair doos. I reckon she's a stick on to hold that seat.

Would be great if Plaid Cymru can re-take both Ynys Môn and Ceredigon, maybe even push hard for a result in Llanelli. Although I do appreciate that they are up against much harder opposition there than the SNP currently face.

Keep an eye on Bristol West btw. The Green Party may just manage to take it from Labour.

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

Are the SNP not polling higher than they were the last GE ?

About 3% lower. Hardly the sign of a massive SNP collapse that the resident closet-Tory fisherman keeps banging on about.