Lions Tour of New Zealand - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lions Tour of New Zealand

vanderark14

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd have thought Johnny Gray would have been a stick on, he barely missed a tackle the whole of the 6 Nations.

I am not sure that Gatland is the man for the job to be honest. He's very one dimensional and tends to go for brute force. That won't work against NZ and can see them getting spanked in a lot of the games. Hogg should start the test matches but it looks like he's going for tried and tested partnerships with previous lions experience. Probably only two Ulstermen in the squad, Best and Henderson. Jackson played well during the 6 nations but his ongoing personal issues would probably prevent him from going. If Bobo Kearney  gets selected at full back Gatland clearly has lost the plot.  

It rumours are to be believed it sounds like some fairly strange selections are going to be made. Anything from one Scott to four being rumoured. Hogg, J Gray, Seymour and Laidlaw would be in my squad. I really like Watson and Nel but latter injured and former probably not had enough exposure.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Jonny Gray is so unlucky not to be included

Plenty of rugby to be played between now and end of the season so fully expect half a dozen or so not to make the plane due to injury. 

The kiwi guy Payne is as brittle as a cadburys flake.

1 minute ago, wellyman said:

wtf - 12 welsh players from a country that finished 5th in the 6 nations, 4 points behind Scotland and were well beaten by Scotland !!!!!

C'mon the All Blacks !!!

The only shock is that he didnt pick Roberts 

Picks

England (16)

Ireland (11)

Scotland (2)

Wales (12)???

Six nations table

Team

P

W

D

L

F

A

B

Pts

England

Ireland

France

Scotland

Wales

Italy

Tour too far for gatland

3-0 whitewash coming up!

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Picks

England (16)

Ireland (11)

Scotland (2)

Wales (12)???

Six nations table

Team

P

W

D

L

F

A

B

Pts

England

Ireland

France

Scotland

Wales

Italy

Tour too far for gatland

3-0 whitewash coming up!

Its called a "Blackwash" in kiwi land and i will check with Willy Hill to see what the odds are !!!

In my opinion when you have the same points the league should be adjusted on a head to head basis and in that way we are above Ireland as we beat them.  

38 minutes ago, wellyman said:

Its called a "Blackwash" in kiwi land and i will check with Willy Hill to see what the odds are !!!

In my opinion when you have the same points the league should be adjusted on a head to head basis and in that way we are above Ireland as we beat them.  

Its not on. Methinks the day job may have blinded him somewhat. I have a feeling the lions are going to get tonked !

1 hour ago, dave said:

The only shock is that he didnt pick Roberts 

Im surprised Gavin Henson wasn't picked!

Joke!

Fair play, we have been Tom Kite leading up to previous tours, but now we have some great players and only get two.

What about Johnny Gray, Fin Russell, Hamish Watson, Huw Jones even Tim Visser?

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

1 hour ago, wellyman said:

Yeah, but France beat us so they should be above us. And Ireland beat France so they should be above them. And so on.

It's not a surprise. Gatland has no time for Scottish rugby, thinks we're all pish. Did you see his coupon when we gave Wales the kicking in the second half at Murrayfield? Stern Vern's twitter that evening was spot on...

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Yeah, but France beat us so they should be above us. And Ireland beat France so they should be above them. And so on.

Good point,  just trying to give us an edge on the others and you come along and feck it right up !!!  :spin:

Don't tell me you come from Morningside  ???

We were lucky to get two tourists. Earls and Zebo both had better Six Nations than Seymour, who has a quiet tournament.

Richie Gray was better than Jonny during the tournament as well so Jonny was never going to go. Particularly as they are behind Launchbury who was left out.

The others in contention were long shots but weren't going to get picked after the debacle at Twickenham and Glasgow's horsing at Saracens.

Hogg won't make the test team. Liam Williams will be full-back. A great finisher but far superior to Hogg under the high ball and defensively. Plus he can pass. New Zealand kick the ball loads so the back three will all have to be safe under the high ball.

4 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

We were lucky to get two tourists. Earls and Zebo both had better Six Nations than Seymour, who has a quiet tournament.

Richie Gray was better than Jonny during the tournament as well so Jonny was never going to go. Particularly as they are behind Launchbury who was left out.

The others in contention were long shots but weren't going to get picked after the debacle at Twickenham and Glasgow's horsing at Saracens.

Hogg won't make the test team. Liam Williams will be full-back. A great finisher but far superior to Hogg under the high ball and defensively. Plus he can pass. New Zealand kick the ball loads so the back three will all have to be safe under the high ball.

If it was picked on form there wouldn't be all those Welshmen going.

8 hours ago, biffer said:

If it was picked on form there wouldn't be all those Welshmen going.

Indeed but I think it's clear that different rationale was used for the selection of Scottish players and Welsh players. Halfpenny should be nowhere near the squad other than to hoover up points for the midweek team. Even then I'd expect Hogg to play 15 in that team and Biggar to play 10 and he could do the kicking.

Both of the Gray brothers are unlucky, as is Watson. If Laidlaw is fit he deserves a mention, he was outstanding against both Wales and Ireland, badly missed against England. Biggar and Halfpenny don't deserve to be in the squad, but the real joke selections are probably Moriarty, Henderson and Payne. A number of England players are entitled to feel aggrieved at being overlooked (not Hartley though), Ireland and Wales are ridiculously over represented in what looks a curiously bloated yet weak selection with too many picked on the basis of reputation rather than form. The All Blacks could watch a tape of the Scotland Wales game at Murrayfield for pure comedy value when you consider Gatland's squad. What Woodward started in 2005, Gatland is doing his best to finish. The Lions feels like a relic from a bygone age, and they are killing it off.

On a wider point though, I'm one of those people who views the Lions as an anachronism and don't really see the point of the best players from four teams joining together to play one team.

South African rugby looks to be permanently f v c k e d and it's not worth touring there again. Similarly, Australia is also struggling and it isn't a rugby union country so the Lions should stop touring there as well, which given they only started playing test series against the Wallabies in 1989 shouldn't be too controversial.

New Zealand is the only place worth touring and the Lions will always get gubbed there so there really is no point in the Lions.