Jim McLean - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/19/the-forgotten-story-of-dundee-united-glory-years-under-jim-mclean?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Great article about Jim McLean and Dundee United's glory years. Amazingly that time he set about a journalist with a hammer isn't mentioned.

It is now under a display case at Tannadice

Daniel Harris is easily one of the best football journalists about and going by his twitter, he has a real interest in football, past and present, in England, Scotland and Europe. A brilliant article to boot as well, read it on my lunch today and wished it never ended.

Was just reading about him last night whilst re-reading the excellent The Management: Scotland's Great Football Bosses.

Hugely complex man who deeply regrets the amount he put into Dundee Utd in contrast to time spent with his family.

Ended up on anti-depressents after becoming Chairman, a role he feels he should never have taken up.

Excellent book.

41G2La5m-uL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by neil r

Those were great times for Scottish football, I always felt my team (St Mirren) were very lunlucky in that era, 79-86 was the best side we ever produced  but we won nothing.

Just our luck it coincided with outstanding Aberdeen and Dundee Utd sides along with obviously the old firm, Hearts then had a strong side towards the end of the years I mentioned.

it was an absolute buzz just to go to the football in those days, at the start of the season there was 4 or 5 clubs you felt had a genuine chance of winning the league, Scottish sides were doing well in Europe and it was a decent national side as well.

Maybe it's  an age thing but just don't have the same enthusiasm anymore, or maybe it's just the product on the park is p!sh.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Those were great times for Scottish football, I always felt my team (St Mirren) were very lunlucky in that era, 79-86 was the best side we ever produced  but we won nothing.

The Anglo-Scottish Cup, only Scottish winners of that...

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2017 at 11:23 AM, Jersey Jim said:

Those were great times for Scottish football, I always felt my team (St Mirren) were very unlucky in that era, 79-86 was the best side we ever produced  but we won nothing.

Just our luck it coincided with outstanding Aberdeen and Dundee Utd sides along with obviously the old firm, Hearts then had a strong side towards the end of the years I mentioned.

it was an absolute buzz just to go to the football in those days, at the start of the season there was 4 or 5 clubs you felt had a genuine chance of winning the league, Scottish sides were doing well in Europe and it was a decent national side as well.

Maybe it's  an age thing but just don't have the same enthusiasm anymore, or maybe it's just the product on the park is p!sh.

It seemed that Scottish teams were routinely punching above their weight. Dundee United beating Barcelona, Aberdeen beating Real Madrid... at the time it just seemed almost normal, or rather it was a bit special but not unthinkable. We seem to have an inferiority complex these days, probably since the Champions League favouring the bigger leagues, and smaller league clubs almost literally happy just to make up the numbers and take the appearance fee...

Anyway here's a piece in Friday's Scotsman, on Jim McLean and the UEFA Cup now 39 years ago...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/alan-pattullo-jim-mclean-dundee-united-and-the-uefa-cup-final-1-4438700

Still must be pretty unique, 3 brothers all in management,...

9 hours ago, exile said:

It seemed that Scottish teams were routinely punching above their weight. Dundee United beating Barcelona, Aberdeen beating Real Madrid... at the time it just seemed almost normal, or rather it was a bit special but not unthinkable. We seem to have an inferiority complex these days, probably since the Champions League favouring the bigger leagues, and smaller league clubs almost literally happy just to make up the numbers and take the appearance fee...

Anyway here's a piece in Friday's Scotsman, on Jim McLean and the UEFA Cup now 39 years ago...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/alan-pattullo-jim-mclean-dundee-united-and-the-uefa-cup-final-1-4438700

Still must be pretty unique, 3 brothers all in management,...

I remember it was pretty special at the time. you knew that they were achieving great things against the odds, but the worst bit is that I believed it would continue. At that age, utd had been playing great football for many years and I didn't imagine that it would come to an end. In that respect I guess I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have - it was just accepted that they could perform at that level at the time.

if it happened now to any small team I think I would appreciate it far more knowing how quickly it can disappear. great days though.

On 20/04/2017 at 6:23 PM, Jersey Jim said:

That period was the most competitive I've ever known the Scottish Premier League to be.

As a Dundee Uunited supporter then I wasn't too bothered when we got beat from Roma in a European Cup Semi final as I thought we'd win a Euro final in the next couple of years anyway. Even just typing that out makes it seem so bizarre, but that was how I felt. I'm sure plenty of Aberdeen and other united fans felt the same way about their teams.

Jim Mclean went on too long and should have retired completely from management and possibly the game altogether after the Gothenburg tie at Tannadice. Great times to be a united supporter going to home and away games in europe and seeing your team rip the pish out 'Euro Cracks' as the Record used to call them.

10 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Jim Mclean went on too long and should have retired completely from management and possibly the game altogether after the Gothenburg tie at Tannadice. Great times to be a united supporter going to home and away games in europe and seeing your team rip the pish out 'Euro Cracks' as the Record used to call them.

McLean's downfall wasn't helped by a brutally biased Weegie media who snatched on anything trivial and turned it into something that shouldn't have even been news worthy. Weegies couldn't hack it that the teuchters could regularly get one over on them. 

55 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm not sure that's true.  United had never finished below fifth for 15 years until McLean retired.  I remember United for Change at the time going on about how McLean must go and I thought "be careful what you wish for".  

22 hours ago, adamntg said:

I'm not sure that's true.  United had never finished below fifth for 15 years until McLean retired.  I remember United for Change at the time going on about how McLean must go and I thought "be careful what you wish for".  

Its just an opinion.