Phew! - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nature's most successful creation for 100 million years being the dominant species and only wiped out by pure chance

There must surely be somewhere out there in the universe where there are planets that have themĀ 

In these days of cladistics, I'm not sure how dinosaurs are classified by them that know, but it won't be as a species...

Anyroad, isn't the current thinking that they're not extinct at all? The sparrow is to T. Rex what Portuguese is to Latin.

8 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

In these days of cladistics, I'm not sure how dinosaurs are classified by them that know, but it won't be as a species...

Anyroad, isn't the current thinking that they're not extinct at all? The sparrow is to T. Rex what Portuguese is to Latin.

I'll rephrase

Whilst the term "Dinosaur" is arbitrary there may be similar "organisms" on other planets

or

There could be things similar to the big ass reptiles, like the ones we had up to 65 million years ago, existing on other planets that havent been hit by extinction level asteroidsĀ 

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There could be things similar to the big ass reptiles, like the ones we had up to 65 million years ago, existing on other planets that havent been hit by extinction level asteroidsĀ 

d1f180db1a7c7e27160a4a7bdf487bc3.jpgReptile-Alien-490699.jpg

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

That was quite a fascinating programme. Mad to think that so much damage was caused by the equivalent of a grain of sand hitting a bowling ball. How fragile we are!

Ā 

maybe is size equivalent,but the rest is different, composition, rigidity etc.

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Didnt notice that was on and only caught the last 10 minutes - will get it on catch upĀ 

When you think about it, and compare how long we have been here, the dinosaurs were really sucessful.

Nature's most successful creation for 100 million years being the dominant species and only wiped out by pure chance

There must surely be somewhere out there in the universe where there are planets that have themĀ 

And if you look back at previous mass extinctions, there's been a dominant species each time which was wiped out. The dinosaurs exploited a previous mass extinction about 200 million years ago which wiped out archosaurs and nearly all amphibians. The Premian-Triassic extinction event wiped out 96% of all marine species (it's the biggest massĀ extinction event we know of) including the trilodites which were the dominant marine life form of the time. The earliest mass extinction which we know about was about 450 million years ago, when the giant insects were wiped out. And by giant, I mean these bad boys, dragonflies with a 28 inch wingspan

440px-Meganeuramodell.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/06/2017 at 9:38 PM, Grim Jim said:

Teleportation yeah!!!

But if everyone teleports to the front of the pie queue at the half time whistle...

Ā 

OK, so I'm getting ahead of myself and I am not gonna be around to see the stramash anyway :(

Your predictions are terrifying. Forest fans fighting over a pie. Apparently he just teleported to the front.

Ā 

Edited by Och Aye

• 11 months later...
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Toepoke said:

One for the science / space thread. Photo of Jupiter's south pole. Incredible stuff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40053527

f1cb76d23a6b41728b82be597c0a9221_a91110f

Just watched an excellent Horizon programme about the Juno mission. So Jupiter has an outer core of liquid metal hydrogenĀ :blink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bfdjgp

Ā 

On 8/8/2018 at 1:47 AM, Toepoke said:

Just watched an excellent Horizon programme about the Juno mission. So Jupiter has an outer core of liquid metal hydrogenĀ :blink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bfdjgp

Ā 

I have started reading The Martian by Andy Weir.Ā How I wish I had taken science subjects at school. My brain is nippin with all the hydrogen/plutoniumĀ technical jargon.Ā All I have understood so far is himĀ growing tatties in manure.Ā 

Ā Its depressing to think I am struggling with a book made into a best selling film starting Matt Damon šŸ™

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I have started reading The Martian by Andy Weir.Ā How I wish I had taken science subjects at school. My brain is nippin with all the hydrogen/plutoniumĀ technical jargon.Ā All I have understood so far is himĀ growing tatties in manure.Ā 

Ā Its depressing to think I am struggling with a book made into a best selling film starting Matt Damon šŸ™

I gave up and watched the film, it's easier.