New jerseys? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New jerseys?

Bzzzz

Any news on when we can get rid of these bloody stupid white sleeves? 

We have a great strip manufacturer but someone somewhere is making awful decisions, why can't they consult us, the customers, as to what we want? 

We only got this one in 2016, I would say the launch would depend on WC qualification or not but expect March next year if we qualify or if we don't around about July time using they template the use for the likes of Bhutan as they have a better chance than us. 

Edited by romanticscot
spelling

Probably round about November-ish time (though was it not closer to March this current one was released) when Adidas start to release their line of WC 2018 kits.

Given this will be kits for a FIFA tournament, and they seem to have a MAJOR OCD syndrome over kit clashes (even more so than UEFA) will imagine that it will be back to blue shorts for the Euro 2020 campaign.

1 hour ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Get rid of the pink effort and if the sfa have any sense to avoid any possibility of us having to wear that kit v england they would get a one off strip made.

I hate that pink nonsense. It's fecking cringeworthy. Grown men, strutting around Europe with huge pink beer guts. The away top is fine for bairns but men? 

Infact, I'm 37 this year and I stopped wearing current replicas at 30 maybe. I'm a richt ugly hoor in ain. 

I don't hate the idea of a pink strip per se, but the current one (no attempt to make it a Scotland kit), along with the home effort (poorly thought out template with pathetic marketing spiel - IT"S NOT TARTAN!), are examples of how little effort adidas are now willing to make in designing us a kit. It's arguable that they are justified - poor performance, stupid exclusive deal with JD Sports limiting availability - but compared to our previous strips we are now obviously bottom of the heap.

One illustration of this is that the other adidas teams qualified for the Women's Euros have launched new bespoke kits - we haven't.

To that end we should probably look to a new supplier for whom we would be a feather in their cap - so any Under Armour, New Balance or Macron would probably give us something more tailored. MAcron have done a great job with their kits for the Scotland rugby team.

Of course Umbro would be great - and at some point in a contract they might give us a version with diamonds and at the very least we should get some great retro products.

5 minutes ago, flicktokick said:

I don't hate the idea of a pink strip per se, but the current one (no attempt to make it a Scotland kit), along with the home effort (poorly thought out template with pathetic marketing spiel - IT"S NOT TARTAN!), are examples of how little effort adidas are now willing to make in designing us a kit. It's arguable that they are justified - poor performance, stupid exclusive deal with JD Sports limiting availability - but compared to our previous strips we are now obviously bottom of the heap.

One illustration of this is that the other adidas teams qualified for the Women's Euros have launched new bespoke kits - we haven't.

To that end we should probably look to a new supplier for whom we would be a feather in their cap - so any Under Armour, New Balance or Macron would probably give us something more tailored. MAcron have done a great job with their kits for the Scotland rugby team.

Of course Umbro would be great - and at some point in a contract they might give us a version with diamonds and at the very least we should get some great retro products.

The current crop of Adidas kits as a whole are really poor (hardly any good kits at the Euro's with very little effort put in to them..... not just consigned to us)..... kits for the Confederations cup this year are starting to be released, and Adidas seem to be going down a really retro look with their designs now (Russia, Germany, Mexico etc are getting rather fetching kits with a 1988-1990 Adidas feel about them.... rumors Man United away kit next season will be based on their blue and white 1990 away kit.... even Japan are getting a variation on their classic mid 90's kit this year).

Would hope that 2016 was just a poor year for Adidas and they have bigger things planned for 2018.

Very few teams get a "bespoke" design.... only really Germany and Spain get this top drawer treatment, while everyone else gets a variation of this deign, but tarted up a little to make it unique to them somewhat (good clue is to check out Marsille kits... they seem to be Adidas guinea pigs in a kind of way and get designs about 2/3 years before everyone else does.... our current "tartan" kit was a design they used about 3 years ago for a 3rd kit).

Much as I love Adidas I haven't been impressed with their recent Scotland kits, especially the current pink away strip.

As Wanderer says, they seem to be going down a retro direction for their next kits, the Man Utd away kit is based on the 1991 grey kit.  Man Utd and Juventus home shirts will have the Newcastle-style granddad collars. And Marseilles kit will be a very simple late 80's design (although maybe because Adidas can't be bothers as they are jumping ship to Puma after that).

Umbro seem to be putting out some decent simple kits at the moment and would surely be able to exploit the great designs of the 70's, 80's for some retro stuff.

It seems like the JD deal is the main factor in the choice of kit manufacturer, but if we're staying with Adidas I'd rather have a generic navy shirt with a white collar than another of their experiments. It can't be difficult to design a decent Scotland away kit that fans would actually want to buy.

By the way, anyone interested next season's Adidas efforts should have a look at footyheadlines.com

1 hour ago, Jamesie Cotter said:

Much as I love Adidas I haven't been impressed with their recent Scotland kits, especially the current pink away strip.

As Wanderer says, they seem to be going down a retro direction for their next kits, the Man Utd away kit is based on the 1991 grey kit.  Man Utd and Juventus home shirts will have the Newcastle-style granddad collars. And Marseilles kit will be a very simple late 80's design (although maybe because Adidas can't be bothers as they are jumping ship to Puma after that).

Umbro seem to be putting out some decent simple kits at the moment and would surely be able to exploit the great designs of the 70's, 80's for some retro stuff.

It seems like the JD deal is the main factor in the choice of kit manufacturer, but if we're staying with Adidas I'd rather have a generic navy shirt with a white collar than another of their experiments. It can't be difficult to design a decent Scotland away kit that fans would actually want to buy.

By the way, anyone interested next season's Adidas efforts should have a look at footyheadlines.com

I would not look to much at the stuff sceduled for release in summer 2017, as would imagine our next kit is ear marked for the stuff to be release into 2018.

Retro seems to be the key word (even Bayern Munich are going down this route.... home kit has a real 60's-70's look about it, while their away kit will be based on their iconic mid-late 90's away Black/Dark Blue kit with the red hoop), so hopefully this is something that continues.....  Marseilles new kit I would imagine is the mass produced off the peg one that EVRY club and their mother is going to have next season.

If SFA were to switch it would be interesting........ Under Armour do some nice kits, but have a habit of chucking tradition right out the window (would probably send this place into melt down if white sleeves can cause a stir :lol: :lol: :lol: ), New Balance can do some really nice retro/traditional kits, but few Celtic fans have told me their quality is extremely poor and I think Umbro are still finding their feet after their relaunch (their designs seem to be really inconsistent these days with a great design followed by a few really poor efforts).

Yes, New Balance seem to do some classy looking stuff. The 70's style Liverpool kit for next season looks good. 

International sides still seem to be dominated by Adidas, Nike and Puma.  And Nike don't seem to do a 'bespoke' kit for even their top teams!

So I guess the situation is that we get one more Adidas strip in November, the Adidas and JD Sports deals run out in 2018, and we start with possibly a new supplier (if so, hopefully Umbro) and hopefully without the exclusive JD tie in.

5 hours ago, Jamesie Cotter said:

Last two away kits have sold loads so that would suggest fans do want to buy them

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Was it just recently the Huns and Hearts did? Hearts come up with some nice jerseys at times. 

Think Hearts deal ended in 2012 with Umbro when we switched to Adidas.

The home jerseys are usually no bad, some of the away ones have been horrific. 

Just now, hannibal smith said:

Think Hearts deal ended in 2012 with Umbro when we switched to Adidas.

The home jerseys are usually no bad, some of the away ones have been horrific. 

Aye, but 2013 I came here so that would be last year for me.:P