Joey Barton Banned for 18 months - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Joey Barton Banned for 18 months

I don't have a lot of time for Barton, but, they do seem to be making an example of him.

This is undoubtedly the tip of the iceberg.

From the snippets from his statement he does appear to have bet against his team(s?), but not when he was playing.

You have to take into account that Barton has a long record of previous misconduct charges in England which no doubt have been taken into account when deciding the sentence. 

I suspect that's his career over. 

Just now, sbcmfc said:

I don't have a lot of time for Barton, but, they do seem to be making an example of him.

This is undoubtedly the tip of the iceberg.

From the snippets from his statement he does appear to have bet against his team(s?), but not when he was playing.

maybe they are but the point being he should not have bet on football at all.

Just now, ShedTA said:

maybe they are but the point being he should not have bet on football at all.

Completely agree, it's not a big sacrifice.

Just speculating that many players will have a coupon on, whether it be every weekend or whatever, he's been caught and made an example of.

Betting against your own team or betting on games involving them is a different matter though. That's wrong on a different level.

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Completely agree, it's not a big sacrifice.

Just speculating that many players will have a coupon on, whether it be every weekend or whatever, he's been caught and made an example of.

Betting against your own team or betting on games involving them is a different matter though. That's wrong on a different level.

yeh tbh given he is at the end of his career pretty much - maybe that's why they have used him as an example.

Some previous bans/fines in here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26653978

Apart from the Accrington MD no one has faced anything like an 18 month ban.

Ignoring its Barton, I think the rules are very over the top. It should be limited to not being able to bet in matches you are playing in, end of. Joey Barton when he was at Rangers, or any other SPL player, placing a 5 team accy on games such as Celtic v Aberdeen is not going to have any influence on how that game turns out. Even more so if he is punting on something like Real v Barca on his coupon.

33 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Absolute Fuds lol - but we have all done it - albeit not when interviewed by someone from the UK

21 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Ignoring its Barton, I think the rules are very over the top. It should be limited to not being able to bet in matches you are playing in, end of. Joey Barton when he was at Rangers, or any other SPL player, placing a 5 team accy on games such as Celtic v Aberdeen is not going to have any influence on how that game turns out. Even more so if he is punting on something like Real v Barca on his coupon.

The problem is the grey areas, which is why the zero tolerance makes sense.

Someone who plays for Albion Rovers betting on the champions league final is at one end of the spectrum, but someone from Albion Rovers betting on Airdrie to lose because he knows they've 5 players on backshift...

18 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

How would that be policed? Sounds like a hell of a lot of work, even if given full access to all player accounts by betting firms.

It's easier, simpler and creates no grey areas if all footballers are banned from betting on football.  

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

How would that be policed? Sounds like a hell of a lot of work, even if given full access to all player accounts by betting firms.

It's easier, simpler and creates no grey areas if all footballers are banned from betting on football.  

in Scotland is it not a complete ban on betting of any kind? over the top if that's correct but I would agree with a total ban on football bets.