Richmond, England - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Richmond, England

giblet

Loads of pubs, LA did a pub crawl round there a few years ago. Great eating places as well. White Swan down by the river very popular plus a couple on the Green whose name escapes me. Take a big wedge with you as its not cheap.

Am surprised they are playing NFL there s the local residents have the RFU over a barrel regarding the number of events they can stage per year so for that to be one says something. enjoy

Went via a few pubs in Richmond when I went to a AFC Wimbledon game last year (Kingston-Upon-Thames is just the other side of Richmond Park) and some really nice pubs.

White Cross and Old Ship were not bad and the bar in the Orange Tree Hotel was good, also had a cracking meal in Caffe Mamma.

If you fancy heading down into Kingston, Boaters Inn and The Queens Head are good places to get a drink, and close the railways station for getting the train to Twickenham.

Richmond is a lovely place and the pubs are very nice but it is very much old rich ale drinkers out with their 'young nieces' type of vibe to the place and you will see an an incredible amount of different coloured corduroy trousers on show. 

Never the less, I would recommend The White Swan as above, it's quite an incredible boozer and in a beautiful location and if it is a nice day get yourself to their wee beer garden on the river, it's incredible.

If you turn right out of the station the Orange Tree is 100 yards on your right across the street. In the street behind the the Orange Tree is the Triple Crown a real rugby pub. If you come out of the Orange Tree and turn left, walk across the traffic island you will come to a couple of pubs, one of which used to be called Molly maleness and its ok.

I think the point about the coloured cords is pretty accurate but there is also a very healthy young vibe. God can't believe I wrote that. There is also quite a good german bar eating place situated above the river but its name escapes me. 

Went for a pub crawl in Richmond before the friendly against England a couple of years ago because my mate's sister lived in the area.

Despite being really posh, and wearing kilts not cords, I was surprised with the friendliness of the locals.

Here was our route:

Lass o' Richmond Hill.  Up near Mick Jagger and Pete Townsend's gaffs.  Quiet, good beer.

Marlborough.  Half way down the hill.  Posh boozer with a cracking big beer garden.

The Victoria.  Heading in to the centre.  Tiny wee friendly boozer.

Watermans Arms.  In the centre.  Wooden-floored shop with chatty locals and sport on the TVs.

The White Cross.  On the river.  Amazingly situated beer garden with ace views of the river and the houseboats.  Seats at a premium at busy times.

We did a couple of others but I cant remember their names.  Richmond seems to have a great number of good old pubs and would be a good option for an extended crawl.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-21 at 8:36 PM, ironbrew said:

Dont follow NFL so don`t know if match has been played but have been to Richmond and agree with everything said here but what I remember most from being at river pubs etc ia that planes flew over every 2 or 3 minutes.

its not till October, really looking forward to it nlw. Going to stivk to Richmond and not venture into the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Triple Crown is a great pub. Just a bit away to stop it getting mobbed.

The Sun Inn is also nice and couple minutes away.

Both close to the train station.

There is also rugby to watch and drink close by with Richmond & London Scottish sharing the same ground.  Always a pleasant experience.