United Ireland? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

United Ireland?

I just thought this could do with its own thread, as distinct from Brexit, EU & indy threads.

Kenny to ask leaders to agree if North votes for united Ireland ‘entire territory’ will be in EU

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/eu-summit-on-brexit-we-must-remain-united-tusk-warns-1.3066569

'Our plan to persuade unionists to support a united Ireland'

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-féin-our-plan-to-persuade-unionists-to-support-a-united-ireland-1.3036229

‘Neither Dublin or Brussels speaks for Northern Ireland’

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-unity-neither-dublin-or-brussels-speaks-for-northern-ireland-1.3065021

Noteworthy that it took the EU less than one minute to agree to NI rejoining EU automatically should Irish Unification occur at any point in future.

Take note Scotland!! 

And for possible Irish Unification, i like that discussions are involving how the Republic would need to modernise itself if it wants to successfully include the North in any future joint state.

5 hours ago, buckielugger said:

And for possible Irish Unification, i like that discussions are involving how the Republic would need to modernise itself if it wants to successfully include the North in any future joint state.

Are they not modern enough already?

In the 2011 census 56% stated their national identity as British. Followed by 35% stating Northen Irish and 14% as Irish. As long as Northern Ireland has a veto over unification I doubt you will see a United Ireland. There are more important issues to deal with. Communities and schools are in the main segregated down religious lines. This needs to be tackled first. I doubt the Republic would want to absorb this issue,.

Edited by EddardStark

A historical take on the fates of Ireland north and south of the border.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2017/04/30/star-trek-boldly-predicting-the-return-of-the-north-in-2024-might-yet-come-to-pass

An interesting conclusion: Making any economy a concubine makes it unstable and dependent. Only a free-wheeling capitalist Ireland can sustain unification.

13 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Are they not modern enough already?

To be fair the Republic is now more modern than the DUP!! But that's not difficult...and for the census figures, a fair point, don't know anything about them myself but might be interesting if next census shows any movement on those 2011 figures. 

One other point, and relevant to Scotland, the EU's unanimous vote on NI does show agreements CAN be made for parts of the UK...something the Scottish Government has been calling for and the ridiculous tories have been rejecting repeatedly as impossible....clearly it's very possible! 

And just looked up the census figures, not quite the numbers quoted in previous post:

The 2011 census shows some interesting results concerning identity:

40% of usual residents had a British only national identity
 25% had Irish only national identity
 21% had Northern Irish only national identity

48% of people included British as a national identity
 29% included Northern Irish as a national identity
 28 % included Irish as a national identity

5 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

To be fair the Republic is now more modern than the DUP!! But that's not difficult...and for the census figures, a fair point, don't know anything about them myself but might be interesting if next census shows any movement on those 2011 figures. 

One other point, and relevant to Scotland, the EU's unanimous vote on NI does show agreements CAN be made for parts of the UK...something the Scottish Government has been calling for and the ridiculous tories have been rejecting repeatedly as impossible....clearly it's very possible! 

Not that I care but they are completely different scenarios. If a county merges with a member that clearly implies membership like Germany.  

Scotland as part of the UK has no presiidence to gain membership in that scenario.

As an independent state it is likely but not clear about the conditions attached.

17 hours ago, andymac said:

Not that I care but they are completely different scenarios. If a county merges with a member that clearly implies membership like Germany.  

Scotland as part of the UK has no presiidence to gain membership in that scenario.

As an independent state it is likely but not clear about the conditions attached.

Maybe the only way Scotland could get back into the EU would be to form the United Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland. URINIS for short.