New BoE £5 notes - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Has anyone had the misfortune to have these as part of your cash lately? They are really easy to lose (for me anyway ?). They stick to each other so it quite easy to give two over rather than one. Also they don't fold so its pretty easy for them to slide out of your pocket when you take your phone out or something. I've lost two in the last month ?.

5 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Has anyone had the misfortune to have these as part of your cash lately? They are really easy to lose (for me anyway ?). They stick to each other so it quite easy to give two over rather than one. Also they don't fold so its pretty easy for them to slide out of your pocket when you take your phone out or something. I've lost two in the last month ?.

I've noticed their tendency to slide out of your pocket, particularly bad if you put your phone in your pocket.

1 hour ago, jailender said:

Apparently, it's only in England, but I would imagine it would apply to English notes in Scotlend. No date yet for Scottish £5 paper notes not being legal tender.

technically scottish notes are not legal tender - they are promissory notes which are "generally accepted"

anyway's - banks will accept notes ages old - guys in my old office used to have an album with their old note collections which were passed through the bank - stuff going back to the 50's and some where note was more like size of a sheet of paper 

4 hours ago, euan2020 said:

technically scottish notes are not legal tender - they are promissory notes which are "generally accepted"

anyway's - banks will accept notes ages old - guys in my old office used to have an album with their old note collections which were passed through the bank - stuff going back to the 50's and some where note was more like size of a sheet of paper 

Beat me to it. No paper money is legal tender in Scotland, including BoE  notes. 

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Beat me to it. No paper money is legal tender in Scotland, including BoE  notes. 

think BOE is - + coins up to a certain value - say GBP 2.50

guys back in day paying their poll tax in 1p coins - Councils could have refused the payment

Sure it is actually - Notes issued in Scotland, need to be backed up by a stock of BOE notes in the safe's - and then liekly they use the velocity of money, to issue more notes than they have reserves, due to the unlikelyhood of the BofE notes being called for  

Edited by euan2020

8 hours ago, euan2020 said:

think BOE is - + coins up to a certain value - say GBP 2.50

guys back in day paying their poll tax in 1p coins - Councils could have refused the payment

Sure it is actually - Notes issued in Scotland, need to be backed up by a stock of BOE notes in the safe's - and then liekly they use the velocity of money, to issue more notes than they have reserves, due to the unlikelyhood of the BofE notes being called for  

Nope. Just coins in Scotland.

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/

53 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Is it not notes everywhere? as they have the "I promise to pay the bearer on demand" notification. 

If the Bank of England says it isn't I tend to believe them! The promise to pay the bearer thing is what makes it a promissory note. Legal tender is a very specific term which tends to be abused. It is only applicable to payment of a debt and actually has no relevance to transactional payments such as buying something in a shop or restaurant. Anyone in a pub who says they can't accept something because it isn't legal tender frankly doesn't understand the term and is talking keich.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

I should add however, that getting into an argument about the definition of legal tender when trying to buy a pint does very little to help you get your cash accepted. 

It gets you a tray of free jaegerbombs in Wigan....... :rollsmile:

7 hours ago, biffer said:

I should add however, that getting into an argument about the definition of legal tender when trying to buy a pint does very little to help you get your cash accepted. 

although i think if you drink said pint, and have offered legal tender, and bar refuses, they are in no position to call police, becuase it then becomes a civil matter

5 hours ago, euan2020 said:

although i think if you drink said pint, and have offered legal tender, and bar refuses, they are in no position to call police, becuase it then becomes a civil matter

No, legal tender has nothing to do with that kind of transaction as I pointed out above.