Motor Insurance - NCB - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Motor Insurance - NCB

Six months ago a truck reversed into my car.
The driver admitted liability, we exchanged details & after a few days I received instructions to have my vehicle repaired.

When I received my renewal instructions from my insurers last week I noticed it had gone up by 50%.
I contacted them to query this & they explained they are the brokers & that Covea are my insurers. 
Apparently Covea haven't been able to get any money from the 3rd party's insurers & so it is going forwards showing that I have made a claim & therefore affects my No Claims Bonus.
As a result unless they recover the money from the 3rd party's insurers it will stay as a 'claim' & affect all future insurance quotes.
Anybody else had this experience & if so how did you resolve it?

Worked in Car Insurance for 10 years mate -- Seen this scenario many times....

Sad to say that what you've said is exactly the scenario --- Rightly or wrongly a Claim where your Insurer doesn't recover all costs is a "Fault" Claim - Insurance definition - Even if the incident wasn't your "fault" - Dictionary definition...

There is no way to "resolve" it I'm afraid - It is a "fault Claim" only way it's not is if other Insurer cough up in full

I'd be thinking your insurance company are acting negligently on your behalf

I'd be asking them to pursue a civil action against the other driver - and in the absence of this, why should you accept increase in premium, and decrease in NCB

Saying that you should be paying extra to guarantee your NCB

Also depends how much 50% extra is - for me that would be GBP 80 so not a car crash  

12 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

Worked in Car Insurance for 10 years mate -- Seen this scenario many times....

Sad to say that what you've said is exactly the scenario --- Rightly or wrongly a Claim where your Insurer doesn't recover all costs is a "Fault" Claim - Insurance definition - Even if the incident wasn't your "fault" - Dictionary definition...

There is no way to "resolve" it I'm afraid - It is a "fault Claim" only way it's not is if other Insurer cough up in full

That's what I feared thanks.

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I'd be thinking your insurance company are acting negligently on your behalf

I'd be asking them to pursue a civil action against the other driver - and in the absence of this, why should you accept increase in premium, and decrease in NCB

Saying that you should be paying extra to guarantee your NCB

Also depends how much 50% extra is - for me that would be GBP 80 so not a car crash  

A civil action was what I was considering or at least wondering if it was worthwhile? 

I do pay extra to protect my NCB but they say it goes down as one of my two 'strikes.'

As a consequence my renewal premium has gone up by £184. Perhaps not a 'car crash' but an ongoing cost which will be a hit every year unless/until the third party's insurers pay up.

Have you tried getting a quote from a different insurance company? The car insurance business has changed. It's all about shopping around for the best deal, these days. If you've gone from £360 to £540 I would be fairly confident about getting a better deal somewhere else. You need to tell them about your "claim" though.

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have you tried getting a quote from a different insurance company? The car insurance business has changed. It's all about shopping around for the best deal, these days. If you've gone from £360 to £540 I would be fairly confident about getting a better deal somewhere else. You need to tell them about your "claim" though.

Yes I tried that thanks.

I used comparethemarket.com which threw up a few cheaper. Needless to say I was contacted by a couple of them within minutes of my search. As soon as I told them about the 'claim' outstanding the price doubled.

Premium's gone from £345 to £530. 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds like a job for Martin Lewis.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver

You might need to go to the ombudsman eventually, but you need to make a formal complaint to the company first to give them a chance to resolve it.

Thanks, yes I could try that.

I haven't had very successful experiences with ombudsmen.

The first one went on about a car I'd bought on HP (which I hadn't).

Then apologised & gave me extra time to prepare my case (which I'd already submitted).

Then ruled that because I'd left my job before the figures had been given, I had no recourse (I hadn't. I left my job based on the sum they'd offered me, in writing. Then they rang up after I'd left to say the figures were wrong & so could only pay me £xxxxx). 

There was no right of appeal except to the High Court on a point of law!?

The second time I used an ombudsman, they got the dates wrong & Utility Warehouse basically lied & the case was found in their favour.

Cheers for your input though. Much appreciated.

13 hours ago, silverbear said:

That's what I feared thanks.

A civil action was what I was considering or at least wondering if it was worthwhile? 

I do pay extra to protect my NCB but they say it goes down as one of my two 'strikes.'

As a consequence my renewal premium has gone up by £184. Perhaps not a 'car crash' but an ongoing cost which will be a hit every year unless/until the third party's insurers pay up.

OK i guess your base premium has increased but still have same NCB

sure we are similar age and my premium is 160/180 this last 2 years.

I would be asking my Insurance Company, to provide me with documentation to prove they have pursued a claim rather than knocking you for having an unpaid claim 

13 hours ago, euan2020 said:

OK i guess your base premium has increased but still have same NCB

sure we are similar age and my premium is 160/180 this last 2 years.

I would be asking my Insurance Company, to provide me with documentation to prove they have pursued a claim rather than knocking you for having an unpaid claim 

Yep that's about it.

I've got 8yrs NCB. My previous car, which was a Saab was about £220 but that was in 2014.

I purchased my Q3 in 2015 & insurance was around £280 which crept up to about £345 last year.

I've spoken to my insurers again yesterday & they seem confident of resolving everything with the 3rd party's insurers in the next 6-7 days so I guess pursuing them has had some effect.

Possibly ^_^

This was my 1st Scotland game..