How bright it the future? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How bright it the future?

jamboman

Seeing the 2 young guys playing for celtic and how Tierney has come on, as well as the guy coming on for Man U. I started to think how will our team look in 4 years?

I Dont see any good keepers or strikers coming though 

I came up with this team

Ryan Fulton

Paterson  Souttar  Lindsey   Tierney

Burke  Cairney  Mcgregor Robertson

Armstrong

Griffiths/cummings

I these players develop and continue we might have a decent team.

There is also:

Ryan gauld Billy Gilmore John McGinn and a lot of others with potential. 

Maybe its hope rather than reality but why not

The reality is that we produce very low quality footballers who lack basic skills, and have done for a while. These players may look good where they are playing just now, but doubt if any (other than Tierney perhaps) will make much of a dent in the game or help to improve the national team.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jordan Archer is a cracking Keeper and should be in the squad by now, why Strachan sticks to the same three who are well in there 30's is beyond me.

err he hasn't been. The last squad had 23 year old Jack Hamilton in it. Recently we've seen Scott Bain and Scott Fox called up as well, so I'm sure Archer's opportunity will come, and quicker if he keep a clean sheet against Bradford next weekend.

Just now, andyD said:

err he hasn't been. The last squad had 23 year old Jack Hamilton in it. Recently we've seen Scott Bain and Scott Fox called up as well, so I'm sure Archer's opportunity will come, and quicker if he keep a clean sheet against Bradford next weekend.

and if Hamilton keeps chucking them in

1 minute ago, hannibal smith said:

and if Hamilton keeps chucking them in

I'm not sure it's necessarily about performance. Strachan's trying to look after the future of Scotland as well as the present, that's apparent in some of his call ups. Each squad usually has a couple of young players in that he's getting in the fold to give them a taste of international football. It boost the players confidence, and hopefully reinforces that desire to get into the squad. kind of a "you could achieve this and be in every squad if you work at it". That's a good thing in my opinion.

I think that's the main reason for McGinn's repeated inclusion. Talented kid, good attitude, not our best central midfielder, but has the potential to be a regular starter in a few years. So Strachan's giving him opportunity to progress, especially as our current central midfield is now the wrong side of 30.. Brown, Fletcher, Morrison.. McArthur's 30 this year I think.

With the keeper position there's less urgency to push a youngster in as we have 3 decent keepers who all have a few years left in them. That's why we're seeing the 3rd choice keeper being more frequently rotated. It's a way of saying "this slot will be up for grabs, so work hard and make it yours". So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Archer or Zander Clark or Jon McLaughlin in a squad in the near future, just to dangle the carrot.

30 minutes ago, JECK said:

Seen countless threads like this over the years. Alex Nottman, Robbie Foy or some other great white hope anyone?

exactly, don't hold out any hope for the future in the short and medium term.

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Zander Clark for Saints has what it takes a lot are saying. Christ knows why the Hearts keeper is ahead of him. :blink:

I'm not saying he has what it takes.. I'm saying he's a young keeper playing regular 1st team football and so I wouldn't be surprised if he was added to a squad as the 3rd choice (who wont ever play) just as an encouragement measure.

How much a player will improve is a total unknown, but encouraging them to work hard at it is more likely to produce results.. and using 'spare' squad places as a mechanism to do that seems to be something that Strachan is in favour of.

It's very hard to get too excited about the future.

There is plenty of talent, there always has been, but we have a terrible record of players not reaching their potential for a wide variety of reasons.

Until we improve this we will always be behind all the other major footballing nations in Europe. 

21 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's very hard to get too excited about the future.

There is plenty of talent, there always has been, but we have a terrible record of players not reaching their potential for a wide variety of reasons.

Until we improve this we will always be behind all the other major footballing nations in Europe. 

We've looked at this before tho haven't we? on Tamb, i mean.

We've looked at players from our youth sides and done a "where are they now", next to english youth sides.. there wasn't a big gap between the success rates of the two, as far as i remember. the english lose a massive numberof their promising young players as well.. i'd be surprised if that wasn't true for most of the european nations.

might be worth doing that kind of comparison again but with a successful small nation tho. I guess with countries like england, france and germany they have so many players, due to their high populations, that players are bound to make it at a decent rate. maybe we should be looking at smaller nations like croatia, bosnia, costa rica, iceland.. see what their numbers are like for youth players succeeding as adults.

The thing is we actually have a very decent young side in the not too distant future. Next campaign our side could look something along the lines of this which is actually not too bad with potentially and hopefully some more players breaking through to add to it. Id like to see a starting 11 next campaign of...

Gordon

Tierney      Hanley     Mulgrew  Robertson

McCarthur

Armstrong             Cairney

Burke                                                   Fraser

Griffiths

Potential for McGinn to come into midfield in place of McArthur depending how he develops but he is really good at breaking up play and starting attacks. And then there is potentially Ryan Gauld to fight it out with Tom Cairney for a place next to Armstrong but again that depends on him firstly getting first team football and secondly performing to the standards Cairney has set this season. I would probably have Archer as Gordons understudy as well as keeping the likes of Snodgrass and Morrison in the squad to help the younger guys coming through, but next campaign is definitely the time for the younger ones to come to the fore. As for centre back that just continues to frustrate, unfortunately just nothing coming through. Liam Lindsay might progress and hopefully Murray Wallace steps up a level until then stuck with what we have.

Edited by bazmidd

On 10/05/2017 at 6:11 PM, andyD said:

We've looked at this before tho haven't we? on Tamb, i mean.

We've looked at players from our youth sides and done a "where are they now", next to english youth sides.. there wasn't a big gap between the success rates of the two, as far as i remember. the english lose a massive numberof their promising young players as well.. i'd be surprised if that wasn't true for most of the european nations.

might be worth doing that kind of comparison again but with a successful small nation tho. I guess with countries like england, france and germany they have so many players, due to their high populations, that players are bound to make it at a decent rate. maybe we should be looking at smaller nations like croatia, bosnia, costa rica, iceland.. see what their numbers are like for youth players succeeding as adults.

Surely the rate should be the same, no?

Say 10% of Academy players aged 15 sign professional contracts. Suppose if the rate is different that could mean that our academies are under performing.

They would just have more of them.

What may be more interesting is number of academy's per 1000 boys ratio. That would then set the baseline for the start of the pipeline. 

J

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Hamilton is not and never will be good enough for the national side. Really cannot work out why the hell he is in the squad, statistically the worst keeper last season in the SPFL.