Scottish teams in Europe - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

6 hours ago, Marky said:

Ha ha. God yes. Thankfully forgot about that. 

Give us Johnny Hayes and we'll say no more about it!! :P

Wee Cammy came on for Johnny after Hayes injured himself 2 1/2 seconds into the Final.

(That's as close as we can get.)

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Looking good for The Famous to get a first round bye and be seeded for QR2.

C'mon Spurs and Arsenal in EPL (if I'm following this correctly).

Thinks if Spurs and either Liverpool or City win that would do it - United can't finish in the top three.

Also need Feyenoord to get a better result than Ajax on Sunday.

40 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Yes, but who can forget Lincoln Red Imps? 

When Celtic are rightly proclaiming their unbeaten domestic season, we should all remind them of the Mighty Imps!! For our sake if nothing else!! 

Quick question for those that understand the UEFA rankings better than I do...

If Aberdeen do get a bye to the next round (and I hope they do) what impact will it have on the rankings?

- Will it be negative because they won't get points they might get from winning games against weaker opposition.

- Will it be positive because they are through to the next round.

I know it would be good for Aberdeen, and the impact would be minimal on the rankings...I'm just trying to understand them a little better. 

I'm sure we all want the Scottish league to improve our ranking position. I think we are 23rd now and need to get up to 15th to get an extra European position. 

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If Aberdeen do get a bye to the next round (and I hope they do) what impact will it have on the rankings?

- Will it be negative because they won't get points they might get from winning games against weaker opposition.

I know it would be good for Aberdeen, and the impact would be minimal on the rankings...I'm just trying to understand them a little better. 

I'm sure we all want the Scottish league to improve our ranking position. I think we are 23rd now and need to get up to 15th to get an extra European position. 

I think the points are minimal for beating a team ranked below,so a fair chance it won't make any real dent at all. 

Group stages are where the points are unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't think you get points for winning ties. I think the amount of points dependent on when you are eliminated. So Aberdeen won't lose out on any points for not playing in Q1. I think anyway. 

Country co-efficient points are awarded for all wins (and draws) at any stage of the competition, so there will be a slight negative impact.

Scotlands ranking has actually improved slightly and next time round (2018/19) the cup winners will automatically go into QR2.

26 minutes ago, min said:

Country co-efficient points are awarded for all wins (and draws) at any stage of the competition, so there will be a slight negative impact.

Scotlands ranking has actually improved slightly and next time round (2018/19) the cup winners will automatically go into QR2.

Fair enough. But am I right in saying that the majority of points come from the stage of elimination? 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fair enough. But am I right in saying that the majority of points come from the stage of elimination? 

Not necessarily. Aberdeens current ranking points of 6.785 is made up of 3.785 (20% of Scotland's association points) and 3.000 (1.000 for being eliminated at QR3 in each of the last three seasons).

19 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

When Celtic are rightly proclaiming their unbeaten domestic season, we should all remind them of the Mighty Imps!! For our sake if nothing else!! 

Saints, the last team to beat them in the league.

Aberdeen now confirmed as the second qualifying round due to Feyenoord winning their league according to someone on social media, anyone able to confirm if that's the case?

On 12/05/2017 at 9:06 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

Yes, but who can forget Lincoln Red Imps? 

You mean that team who were leading us halfway through a tie once, but ultimately lost 3-1? :D

16 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Aberdeen now confirmed as the second qualifying round due to Feyenoord winning their league according to someone on social media, anyone able to confirm if that's the case?

Not confirmed yet. Man Utd can still finish in the top 3 of the EPL. 

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not confirmed yet. Man Utd can still finish in the top 3 of the EPL. 

Cheers.

Currently losing at Spurs though, so looking good for Aberdeen and gives them an extra reward for finishing second.

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

Cheers.

Currently losing at Spurs though, so looking good for Aberdeen and gives them an extra reward for winning the cup.

Fixed for you. ;) 

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

You mean that team who were leading us halfway through a tie once, but ultimately lost 3-1? :D

The team that Celtic lost 1-0 to at the start of the season, yes. 

Not forgetting that stunning display In Barcelona where Celtic courageously battled to a tight 7-0.

Admittedly that's the entire low lights of your season. 

I'm struggling to find that many highlights to ours. ?

Edited by RenfrewBlue

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The team that Celtic lost 1-0 to at the start of the season, yes. 

Not forgetting that stunning display In Barcelona where Celtic courageously battled to a tight 7-0.

Admittedly that's the entire low lights of your season. 

I'm struggling to find that many highlights to ours. ?

I'd take a 7-0 off one of Europe's top teams every season if it meant a campaign like this one tbf.

Just being in the group stages was progress in itself. Next year I'm hoping to see us stay in past Christmas, whether that be the CL or the uefa cup.

4 hours ago, Reevesy said:

I'd take a 7-0 off one of Europe's top teams every season if it meant a campaign like this one tbf.

Just being in the group stages was progress in itself. Next year I'm hoping to see us stay in past Christmas, whether that be the CL or the uefa cup.

We could do with a kinder draw. Getting a team from Spain, Germany and England is always going to be tough. 

I read somewhere that we should be a 3rd seed if we get to the group stages so that should help.