Scottish teams in Europe - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

On 5/15/2017 at 2:04 PM, deecie said:

Not even slightly. Celtic spend more than those 11 teams combined. They should be embarrassed that they've drawn a few games.

Have to agree.

The Famous would have destroyed The Imps in the first leg.

Going back to the usual Europa pre-qualifier ineptitude. The Aberdeen team of right now, whilst fully fit, would do Ok. I can more or less guarantee they'll be out in the first round come the next tournament and will be correctly blaming rustiness for another dismal exit. We need summer football or this will continue indefinitely.

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Going back to the usual Europa pre-qualifier ineptitude. The Aberdeen team of right now, whilst fully fit, would do Ok. I can more or less guarantee they'll be out in the first round come the next tournament and will be correctly blaming rustiness for another dismal exit. We need summer football or this will continue indefinitely.

I don't think rustiness has ever been to blame for Aberdeen getting knocked out. 

Playing better opposition however.......

Crack on though. 

1 hour ago, ironbrew said:

Gibraltarian team which beat Celtic failed to win 14th league in a row which would have been European/world record. So 2nd placed Gib team beat Celtic (well aware of second leg result etc).

:lol:

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nonsense and nonsense. 

2 hours ago, ironbrew said:

Gibraltarian team which beat Celtic failed to win 14th league in a row which would have been European/world record. So 2nd placed Gib team beat Celtic (well aware of second leg result etc).

Imagine what the team that actually won the league in Gibraltar would do to Rangers!

:shocked:

:P

16 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Put it this way, the Aberdeen of today would take 5 off their future selves in July.

Based on what?

McInnes strengthens year after year, and we win without Jack.

Edited by Scotty CTA

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fitness, not personnel. That's my point.

I thought it seemed a valid point.

It seems to be difficult for teams to hit the ground running after a friendly against a highland league team straight into competitive matches against teams who can be in mid season.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

I had the tears in my eyes. Bloody brilliant. Loved the bit about the bird in Nantes! 

Was fantastic. Love hearing the stories of the squad who made the journey over. Jim Craig getting all teary at the end was emotional stuff.

As was Sunday's display and chorus of 'in the best of Lisbon' as the team came out. It was electrifying and a fiiting tribute to Scotland's greatest ever side.

Edit: should also mention the display at Firhill too actually, when they replicated the terrace in Lisbon with the two sticks. 'Celtic OK' with the glued on macaroni and even see one guy with the famous t shirt with 'Jock Stein' scribbled on it with green marker pen :lol:

Edited by Reevesy

19 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

The 'May' team will need a rest, and the 'July' team will have had one.

I suppose it depends on the turnover in the squad too.

Ive seen Motherwell teams take to the field in Europa league qualifiers with players that haven't even trained together, never mind played together!

Stuart Mccall didn't have that excuse when he treated Stjarnan as a pre-season friendly and expected to beat them without a proper pre-season. (They went on to beat legia warsaw and lose to inter, I kind of hold a grudge against McCall for blowing the chance to see Motherwell in the San Siro.)

42 minutes ago, GRBear said:

You would think they had won the European cup again the way their all prancing about Glasgow over the last few days. 

Aye, well. At least it wisnae beating Partick Thistle...

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

Aye, well. At least it wisnae beating Partick Thistle...

What's wrong with celebrating a late win when your 1-0 down on 80 minutes to secure European football for the first time in 5 years? Confused!