Scottish teams in Europe - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

What did the dons fans make of it?

Do you reckon with another week preparation they can take them over there?

Need to score... ?

50/50

We looked like a team searching for game sharpness. Maybe not the best thing to have skipped round 1.

If Scottish clubs want to progress in Europe then changing the season calendar is an absolute must. 

In the last 10 years or so I think practically every team who've played in Europe have had at least 1 poor/embarrassing result.   

9 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

1-1 flattered us. We had our foot on their throat for about 15 mins after we scored. However, we were running on empty after an hour. 

Rooney and McLean predictably sh1t. Christie very good and a fit Stewart is going to be excellent. 

Rooney in particular was horrendous. His touch and movement was at an all time low (and it's generally shit anyway). Special shout to Considine in the shite stakes. Caught out of position time and time and forced Reynolds to come out position to cover him and leave us exposed in the middle.

Felt a draw was probably a fair result.

9 hours ago, dandydunn said:

They seemed fitter than us, but yeah, I think we will have enough to get through. 

??

Yeah. I think we'll do enough over there too. Will be close though. 

12 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

50/50

We looked like a team searching for game sharpness. Maybe not the best thing to have skipped round 1.

If Scottish clubs want to progress in Europe then changing the season calendar is an absolute must. 

In the last 10 years or so I think practically every team who've played in Europe have had at least 1 poor/embarrassing result.   

Yeah, missing Q1 has worked against us. Getting a couple of matches to increase sharpness against a diddy team from Luxembourg or something has enabled us to hit the ground running in Q2 the last few years. 

Agree on Summer football. I've long been an advocate of a March-December season, which would enable us to be fully sharp for European games and also keep our festive fixtures, while missing the worst of the weather. Too many folk are too stuck in their ways though. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Rooney in particular was horrendous. His touch and movement was at an all time low (and it's generally shit anyway). Special shout to Considine in the shite stakes. Caught out of position time and time and forced Reynolds to come out position to cover him and leave us exposed in the middle.

Agree with this.

Rooney has to be dropped. He offers nothing other than being a goal poacher and even that wasn't great last season. Not a fan of Stockley but he will be much more use than him if he is available.

Not surprised by Considine. A very good left back by SPL standards but often gets caught out when against Celtic. Without Hayes helping him on that side of the pitch he could be in for a struggle.

Everyone seemed to be struggling in the second half. Only one who seemed to have enough energy was Christie.

I think skipping a qualifying round has actually hurt us as we've missed out 2 competitive matches that would have set us up match fit for this round. We probably should have done with starting pre season 2 weeks earlier as if we were playing in that round and play 2 decent teams in mainland Europe in friendlies.

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They got one last time in Croatia in similar temperatures.

We had a more settled team and more match sharp from the previous round. Temperature won't be the big issue as you say.

I'm really not confident of getting past this round after last night.

Our teams failure in these early stages and I am not including Aberdeen in this btw, has nothing to do with the football calendar but all to do with the way they are coached. We have lots of good players who are technically proficient and who are fit but where we lag behind other parts of Europe, especially teams from the balkans etc in these early rounds is in game intelligence.

It's all very well being a technically good player and being able to run around for 90 minutes, but we lack the ability to make the right decisions on the park. Our players are taught very little about utilising space, about when to keep hold of the ball, about when to release it, about when to lie on the ground for a couple of minutes and take the sting out of a game. Changing the calendar from March to December isn't going to improve our performances, only good coaching and infrastructure is going to do this.

37 minutes ago, Mox said:

Our teams failure in these early stages and I am not including Aberdeen in this btw, has nothing to do with the football calendar but all to do with the way they are coached. We have lots of good players who are technically proficient and who are fit but where we lag behind other parts of Europe, especially teams from the balkans etc in these early rounds is in game intelligence.

It's all very well being a technically good player and being able to run around for 90 minutes, but we lack the ability to make the right decisions on the park. Our players are taught very little about utilising space, about when to keep hold of the ball, about when to release it, about when to lie on the ground for a couple of minutes and take the sting out of a game. Changing the calendar from March to December isn't going to improve our performances, only good coaching and infrastructure is going to do this.

Moxy in sensible post shocker ?

I wouldn't rule out Aberdeen yet, a sneaky wee 1-0 away win could be on the cards. Hopefully the hoops make a better fist of things tonight!

27 minutes ago, Mox said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that changing the calendar will solve all our problems but it certainly doesn't help. Being match fit and in full flow might make the difference of some of our teams going a round or 2 further than previous seasons.

With Aberdeen it might have made the earlier rounds last season a little bit easier and last night would have been a very different game. Wouldn't have made much difference by the third qualifying round though.

Personally I think the league season should continue as usual from August - May (or February - November) with a break in December and January.

June and July should have the league cup from start to finish with group stages including the teams in Europe. That way you don't have the hassle of teams (Celtic maybe at the moment) losing players in league fixtures to international matches but still a reasonably serious level to keep everyone ticking over.

If anyone is good enough to make Europe after Xmas you still get a couple of league games in you at the start of February so you don't go into European matches cold.

The calendar needs to be based around European tournaments.

1 hour ago, drew said:

I think skipping a qualifying round has actually hurt us as we've missed out 2 competitive matches that would have set us up match fit for this round. We probably should have done with starting pre season 2 weeks earlier as if we were playing in that round and play 2 decent teams in mainland Europe in friendlies.

I understand them giving the players an extra 2 weeks as a reward for what they did last season, but agree with you aswell, possibly a compromise of starting 1 week later would've been better for preparation.

Someone suggested friendlies earlier, but the friendly with St Johnstone was presumably down to the difficulty in finding teams to play in June, as most European teams are on the beach.

I do wonder if we went to summer football, 5 years later we'd be complaining about how tired our teams were in comparison to our fresh rested opponents from Azerbaijan.

:lol:

1 hour ago, drew said:

Agree with this.

Rooney has to be dropped. He offers nothing other than being a goal poacher and even that wasn't great last season. Not a fan of Stockley but he will be much more use than him if he is available.

Not surprised by Considine. A very good left back by SPL standards but often gets caught out when against Celtic. Without Hayes helping him on that side of the pitch he could be in for a struggle.

Everyone seemed to be struggling in the second half. Only one who seemed to have enough energy was Christie.

Parklife mentioned Considine also.  Unfortunately, last night Considine played like the left back we all hoped he wouldn't be (but have all secretly feared he would be)!  Before the match, it was highlighted that Considine would be exposed without the energy and willingness of Hayes.  All of a sudden £1.3M isn't looking like such a good deal for us....

I've never been a proponent of summer football but I'm coming round to the notion that starting the season in July might not be the worst of ideas for us.  End the season in April.

2 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Parklife mentioned Considine also.  Unfortunately, last night Considine played like the left back we all hoped he wouldn't be (but have all secretly feared he would be)!  Before the match, it was highlighted that Considine would be exposed without the energy and willingness of Hayes.  All of a sudden £1.3M isn't looking like such a good deal for us....

I've never been a proponent of summer football but I'm coming round to the notion that starting the season in July might not be the worst of ideas for us.  End the season in April.

£1.3M still looks a good deal in my opinion. As we were both saying lack of Hayes hasn't helped him but I also think the whole defence was poor and there was a lack of leadership at the back. We've never replaced Anderson and as poor as Taylor is he's probably the one out of him, Reynolds and O'Conner that looks to try and communicate with those around him. A quality leader (Arnasson possibly) would hopefully have pulled Considine back into position more.

13 minutes ago, drew said:

£1.3M still looks a good deal in my opinion. As we were both saying lack of Hayes hasn't helped him but I also think the whole defence was poor and there was a lack of leadership at the back. We've never replaced Anderson and as poor as Taylor is he's probably the one out of him, Reynolds and O'Conner that looks to try and communicate with those around him. A quality leader (Arnasson possibly) would hopefully have pulled Considine back into position more.

Ach, I loved Hayes so I'm always going to be looking for an excuse to question letting him go. 

With the exception of Logan and Lewis, the defence made me really nervous last night. Arnasson seems the obvious fix.  Don't think Tansey offered the same level of protection, but that will come.....

Would be keen to try the young lad Harvie at left back.

10 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Celtic or Linfield v Dundalk or Rosenborg in next round of CL qualifiers. Other tie is 1-1 from first leg in Ireland.

Fairly happy with that. 

With regards to winter football, I think simply moving the start of the season forward a month would help the teams in Europe. 

3 hours ago, Mox said:

I agree with most of this, but performances and results would improve if these games Europa leagues were played while our clubs are in mid-season. It is a certainty. I said it last year and i'll say it again, the Aberdeen of today would be hammered by the Aberdeen of October. Hammered.

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree with most of this, but performances and results would improve if these games Europa leagues were played while our clubs are in mid-season. It is a certainty. I said it last year and i'll say it again, the Aberdeen of today would be hammered by the Aberdeen of October. Hammered.

The Aberdeen of last night would be beaten by the Aberdeen of next month is fair to say.  We don't need to be mid season.  Start a month earlier - that is sufficient. 

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

What puzzles me is these players have what a maximum of 3 weeks off now not the 2 months of old yet it still takes them an age to get game fit?

Professional footballers????!!!!

But as Willie Miller was saying last night on the radio you use to get 5 or 6 weeks worth of pre-season training and friendlies. When you think of it that way you were still only getting 3 - 4 weeks off. The difference in the old days was you gradually built up to fitness for the start of the league season. Now if you're in Europe you get 2 maybe 3 weeks training and friendlies then thrown in the deep end.