Scottish teams in Europe - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

7 minutes ago, GRBear said:

Not much of a summer break for Rangers and Aberdeen.

I see all the qualifiers are pencilled in for Friday nights too, these games not usually midweek? 

No, we'll be fine having earned the extra 2 weeks.

10 minutes ago, GRBear said:

Not much of a summer break for Rangers and Aberdeen.

I see all the qualifiers are pencilled in for Friday nights too, these games not usually midweek? 

The games are on Thursday nights and the June start is a sign of the time I'm afraid. 

5 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

No, we'll be fine having earned the extra 2 weeks.

Dont Rangers and Aberdeen enter at the same stage?

Stage 1-

36 domestic league runners-up from associations 18–54 (except Liechtenstein)

35 domestic league third-placed teams from associations 16–51 (except Liechtenstein)

(Scotland is 24 or 25, I think)

15 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Dont Rangers and Aberdeen enter at the same stage?

Stage 1-

36 domestic league runners-up from associations 18–54 (except Liechtenstein)

35 domestic league third-placed teams from associations 16–51 (except Liechtenstein)

(Scotland is 24 or 25, I think)

It appears if Man Utd or Ajax win the europa league and don't qualify for the champions league through their league placing, some teams shuffle about and Aberdeen go in to round 2.

i find it intriguing how they work all this shit out.

:lol:

Edited by sbcmfc

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

It appears if Man Utd or Ajax win the europa league and don't qualify for the champions league through their league placing, some teams shuffle about and Aberdeen go in to round 2.

Haha really? 

Jammy sheeps. 

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Ah ok- so the champions league itself? Ajax have already made the champions league qualification round- but I cant see them getting top spot- unless Feyenoord bottle it again. 

1 hour ago, GRBear said:

And how do you work that one out? 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

i find it intriguing how they work all this shit out.

I believe that Aberdeen, having the strongest co-efficient of the Cup 'Winners' in QR1, would get bumped up into QR2.

Is it not just simply that if Man Utd qualify via winning the Europa league then everyone across Europe moves up a spot as England have one less Europa league spot. 

i.e we are in spot 25 and the cup winners from 18-24th in the seedings go in at the second round. And in theory the team in 18th will go into the third round and so on...

4 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Is it not just simply that if Man Utd qualify via winning the Europa league then everyone across Europe moves up a spot as England have one less Europa league spot. 

i.e we are in spot 25 and the cup winners from 18-24th in the seedings go in at the second round. And in theory the team in 18th will go into the third round and so on...

Aye allright Bert.

We might be looking at th seedlings for the Ramsdens cup this summer.

Edited by sbcmfc

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Here is a link to the seedings for the Europa League 1st Round qualifying. Already there looks like some tough seeded teams

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2017.html

Looks like Aberdeen should be seeded for round two. Be interesting to see the full line-up. 

Getting to the group stages would be a phenomenal achievement. 

Guest BlueGaz
28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Looks like Aberdeen should be seeded for round two. Be interesting to see the full line-up. 

Getting to the group stages would be a phenomenal achievement. 

Aberdeen should be in the group stages.  Will be another failure if it doesn't happen again.  Not confident of Rangers and St J joining you if you do, but fingers crossed.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Aberdeen should be in the group stages.  Will be another failure if it doesn't happen again.  Not confident of Rangers and St J joining you if you do, but fingers crossed.

Aberdeen would probably need to beat a champions league drop out or a mid table la liga/serie A side in the play off round, and are unlikely to be seeded in the round before that either. where you have the 5th/6th placed teams from the top leagues in Europe.

UEFA don't want Aberdeen in the group stages, they want Liverpool, inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven....

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Aberdeen would probably need to beat a champions league drop out or a mid table la liga/serie A side in the play off round, and are unlikely to be seeded in the round before that either. where you have the 5th/6th placed teams from the top leagues in Europe.

UEFA don't want Aberdeen in the group stages, they want Liverpool, inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven....

I understand, what I meant was that the top Scottish seed for Euro should be getting to the group stages, more often than not.  I appreciate its not easy.