The Gambling Footballer - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reading in news about a BRITISH footballer - midfielder apparently - who has gambled all his wealth and wages. Anybody seen a book on it? Wonder if Paddy Power are offering odds about who it is.

Charlie Adam 3/1

10 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Reading in news about a BRITISH footballer - midfielder apparently - who has gambled all his wealth and wages. Anybody seen a book on it? Wonder if Paddy Power are offering odds about who it is.

Charlie Adam 3/1

I seen it mentioned as him on twitter. 

23 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Will Charlie Adam have made £15M in his career? 

He's had seven seasons in the English Premiership so if anything probably a bit more than that.  £50k a week - which wouldn't be ridiculous* - would give you that in six years. 

*clearly it's a ridiculous amount of money but it's probably the going rate in the premiership for someone like Charlie Adam. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

He's had seven seasons in the English Premiership so if anything probably a bit more than that.  £50k a week - which wouldn't be ridiculous* - would give you that in six years. 

*clearly it's a ridiculous amount of money but it's probably the going rate in the premiership for someone like Charlie Adam. 

If you are saying 50k a week after tax then it does give you £15m. Pre tax that puts him on about £90k a week, possible for Charlie Adam?

He is on back page of Scotsman today promoting awareness of a mental heath charity.

Edit: although one of the reports I read said his cash was boosted by sponsorship and endorsements

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

An old story....supposedly Stan Bowles gambled all his wages away when he was at QPR.  His wife contacted the club to see if they could help out and they agreed to give him £100 a week (a fair bit of money back then) to gamble, and the rest of his wages went directly to his wife.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

7 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

If you are saying 50k a week after tax then it does give you £15m. Pre tax that puts him on about £90k a week, possible for Charlie Adam?

He is on back page of Scotsman today promoting awareness of a mental heath charity.

Edit: although one of the reports I read said his cash was boosted by sponsorship and endorsements

There's no way Charlie Adam is on 90K a week at Stoke.  I'll be surprised if he's even on 50K and he certainly won't have been on anything like that when he was at Blackpool.

30 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Could be Harry Redknapp then, as 50k after tax is only 50k before tax if you are him...

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

There's no way Charlie Adam is on 90K a week at Stoke.  I'll be surprised if he's even on 50K and he certainly won't have been on anything like that when he was at Blackpool.

The various articles on this are quoting the player as being on £40k a week.    I suspect that he'd have gone to Liverpool for something like that and given he was transferred to Stoke while in contract, I doubt that he would have gone for less wages and probably would have increased them.

Edited by aaid

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

The various articles on this are quoting the player as being on £40k a week.    I suspect that he'd have gone to Liverpool for something like that and given he was transferred to Stoke while in contract, I doubt that he would have gone for less wages and probably would have increased them.

I'd say that makes it unlikely to be Adam then.  If he has averaged around £40K from Liverpool onwards then that comes in at around £12M.  I don't think Charlie Adam is a big enough name to have made £3M+ in endorsements over that period.  More crucially, I've just read comments attributed to him where he's said he wouldn't rule out a move back to Rangers if Stoke don't renew his contract so he certainly wouldn't be saying that if he was brassic!!!

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'd say that makes it unlikely to be Adam then.  If he has averaged around £40K from Liverpool onwards then that comes in at around £12M.  I don't think Charlie Adam is a big enough name to have made £3M+ in endorsements over that period.  More crucially, I've just read comments attributed to him where he's said he wouldn't rule out a move back to Rangers if Stoke don't renew his contract so he certainly wouldn't be saying that if he was brassic!!!

I'm not sure where people are getting that it's Adam, seems to be a bit of Internet 2+2.   

All I'm saying is that I'd expect that Adam is on £40-50k a week and possibly more so ridiculous are Premiership wages.   The number I've heard quoted for Naismith at Norwich is £85k.

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I wouldn't be so sure. He would have been on a decent wage at Liverpool and I don't imagine he'd have moved to Stoke for less money than he was on. Stoke have also signed a lot of international players in the past and aren't shy in splashing the cash, I'd be very surprised if he was on anything less than 50k a week.

18 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm not sure where people are getting that it's Adam, seems to be a bit of Internet 2+2.   

All I'm saying is that I'd expect that Adam is on £40-50k a week and possibly more so ridiculous are Premiership wages.   The number I've heard quoted for Naismith at Norwich is £85k.

I heard £50k but who knows!

I'd be amazed if Norwich paid anyone 85k!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

14 hours ago, Mox said:

I wouldn't be so sure. He would have been on a decent wage at Liverpool and I don't imagine he'd have moved to Stoke for less money than he was on. Stoke have also signed a lot of international players in the past and aren't shy in splashing the cash, I'd be very surprised if he was on anything less than 50k a week.

According to this he's on £35K a week, which is probably around what I'd have expected.  http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/511702/Revealed-How-much-each-Stoke-player-earns-week

Edit - Ignore that, they've based it on their salaries in Football Manager!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Fairbairn

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I heard £50k but who knows!

I'd be amazed if Norwich paid anyone 85k!

I was amazed when I heard that figure but I've no reason to dispute the source.   Other than it was from a good source, what made me think it was not completely bogus is that Everton are well known for being good payers relative to their league position, it's one of the reasons why they hang on to a lot of their better players.  For example, when Arteta left for Arsenal he had to take a cut in wages.

When Naismith moved to Norwich, they were in the Premiership and like Adam going form Liverpool to Stoke, I doubt he'd be going for less money.   

I heard that number in the context of Moyes wanting to take him to Sunderland last summer but the deal falling down as they couldn't get close to matching his wages.