Cyber Attacks - NHS - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

25 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I see US$3.5M in cash was found in a flat in Nigeria.  Maybe some poor bugger got fed up with folk ignoring all of his emails so decided to just leave it there?!

Have you got the address? I think it might be mine.

I supply software to textile companies, large and small, across the world, The common factor is that their IT Dept are invariably very very slow to update the OS or indeed any updates they receive.

I know why (in case something goes wrong, or a particular piece of software only work on XP/NT etc.[this one does my nut in as a software developer-you should never rely on a OS version specific feature].)

This I hope is the wake up/boot in the nuts  they need.

2 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

We got an email in work today telling us not to open ANY emails until we ensured the latest patch had been installed.  Was a bit late by the time we go it at 10 - I start at 8.15!

Any organisation or private company who had not prepared that before staff arrived deserve a boot also.

To be still running windows XP 16? years after it was introduced is ridiculous. To be doing so in hospitals and the like is frightening negligence... willful negligence.

Did those annoying pricks at MS not give away W10 for free FFS? 

Asking for it...

11 hours ago, thplinth said:

To be still running windows XP 16? years after it was introduced is ridiculous. To be doing so in hospitals and the like is frightening negligence... willful negligence.

Did those annoying pricks at MS not give away W10 for free FFS? 

Asking for it...

Only if you already had windows 8. XP users got fuk all.

A lot computers can't cope with windows 10. 

Built-in obsolescence, as a policy, for these IT companies is at least part of the problem here. Not everybody can afford to upgrade their systems every few years. I would expect a new car to still be usable after 10 to 15 years. There is no reason why computers can't be the same. 

Edited by Orraloon

Windows XP was a perfectly good operating system for most people. I haven't heard many good things said about windows 7, vista, 8 or 10. Does anybody know what was the point of all these new operating systems other than to make huge amounts of dosh for microsoft.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Windows XP was a perfectly good operating system for most people. I haven't heard many good things said about windows 7, vista, 8 or 10. Does anybody know what was the point of all these new operating systems other than to make huge amounts of dosh for microsoft.

Exactly that, to make money, and to evolve their product with the rise of Mac.  But I agree with you, XP was perfectly good.  I have an old Windows computer which I just use for a few games, and every time I clean it up, I always install XP on it.  Don't like any of the versions that have come since then.  OSX for me for the last 5 years.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Windows 7 and Vista are ok.

Windows 8 and 10 are utterly horrific.

XP was magic

Vista was alright but shitty compared to XP

Windows 7 is magic

Have avoided 10 like the plague

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

XP was magic

Vista was alright but shitty compared to XP

Windows 7 is magic

Have avoided 10 like the plague

XP pre - SP1 update was terrible kept going back to Windows 98 until they brought the 2nd Special pack .. the 3rd special pack made it even better

Windows Vista was akin to Windows ME

Windows 7 was what Vista was supposed to be great O/S

Windows 8/8.1 was like Windows Vista brought out to early

Windows 10 i was forced into Windows 10 the software i was using did not support Windows 7 ... Windows 10 is what Windows 8 was supposed to be ... i do miss Windows Media centre from Windows 7 as i used it in conjunction with my TV card ... all and all Windows 10 is growing on me