Cyber Attacks - NHS - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is it a hack or did someone open malware in an attachment.

My mate is a computer scientist and he said the ransom was £250 or something, so it seems like it wasn't targeted but just got into the system via email.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Is it a hack or did someone open malware in an attachment.

My mate is a computer scientist and he said the ransom was £250 or something, so it seems like it wasn't targeted but just got into the system via email.

Depends on your definition of 'hack', I suppose. Don't most hacks start with someone opening an email?

Certainly seems that it wasn't targeted, just aimed at causing widespread disruption. This is what the future's going to be like - a monoculture of over-reliance on software that's vulnerable to malware and every so often an outbreak of the pox. I've kept a couple of slide-rules from the dark ages into which I was born for when the whole thing goes tits up. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

25 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Depends on your definition of 'hack', I suppose. Don't most hacks start with someone opening an email?

Certainly seems that it wasn't targeted, just aimed at causing widespread disruption. This is what the future's going to be like - a monoculture of over-reliance on software that's vulnerable to malware and every so often an outbreak of the pox. I've kept a couple of slide-rules from the dark ages into which I was born for when the whole thing goes tits up. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Yeah i think my mate used the terminology "targeted hack" or something like that. So i might be misusing the word.

Aye welcome to the future, bleak as feck lol

3 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

This reminded me of the log tables I had to use for my Higher maths in the pre calculator days so I stuck 'log table' into google to remind me of them.  Up popped hunners of trendy fireside tables with logs stacked in them. Nothing like google to make you feel like a complete dinosaur. 

Just now, DaveyDenoon said:

And rather worryingly I am led to believe that Trident's systems are also underpinned by Windows XP.

Staggering if true.

Completely true about Trident.   It's only a major problem if they're connected to the Internet though which I'd seriously doubt they are.  Mind you those submariners can get a bit lonely so maybe they've a dedicated line to xhamster.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Completely true about Trident.   It's only a major problem if they're connected to the Internet though which I'd seriously doubt they are.  Mind you those submariners can get a bit lonely so maybe they've a dedicated line to xhamster.

Very true. Although there must be comms of some kind linked to the systems? But I'm also thinking from the point of view of how shite XP is...

Just now, DaveyDenoon said:

Very true. Although there must be comms of some kind linked to the systems? But I'm also thinking from the point of view of how shite XP is...

I guess it all depends on what XP is actually being used for.  I'd imagine its a very bespoke setup and does exactly what its supposed to do, whatever applications are running on it aren't being enhanced and so everything just works.  On that basis upgrading the systems is a lot more expensive and a lot riskier than retaining an "outdated" operating system.  I'd also be certain that they're on extended warranty.

I'd be suprised if the submarines are as modern as XP - windows 3.11 for workgroups is still very common in the nuclear industry - what's more worrying is why any of the affected machines are connected to the internet and\or other pc's at all.

This "hack" doing this is from the NSA - they lost a whole pile of stuff that they'd been keeping to themselves recently - https://threatpost.com/leaked-nsa-exploit-spreading-ransomware-worldwide/125654/

It's "stopped" for now thanks to the one person being alert - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/13/accidental-hero-finds-kill-switch-to-stop-spread-of-ransomware-cyber-attack

We had early indications of this stuff going round local government just before the council elections -even last week - phishing mails coming in purporting to be from other folk within the same authority that sort of thing.

Never connect anything to the internet you don't have to - don't embed computers in things that dont need it (cars ? - http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/12/autos/fiat-chrysler-ram-pickup-recall/) and ideally run important infrastructure on something other than windows

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I had an image of furry rodents running round wheels to power the subs...

Guest BlueGaz
14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I just got an email from someone at South Lanarkshire Council telling me they had 3.5 million euros for me.

I wonder if that means they've been hacked?

Tories distributing wealth.

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I just got an email from someone at South Lanarkshire Council telling me they had 3.5 million euros for me.

I wonder if that means they've been hacked?

Naw, it's means you've been hacked if you opened it.:lol: