Gauld leaving Sporting - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gauld leaving Sporting

er yir macaroon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

He'll have to rebuild his reputation most probably. English championship? I could see him failing there for being too wee. Celtic maybe? Regardless, that's the best part of 3 years down the pan.

Bannan seems to do ok in the Championship I believe. Similar size.

36 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Bannan seems to do ok in the Championship I believe. Similar size.

I think Gauld was linked with a loan to Wednesday (Bannan's club) in January.. they're in the playoffs tho, so not sure if they'd be buying players without knowing what league they're in still.

13 minutes ago, JECK said:

Yet another  great white hope down the swanny. That's what it feels like anyway but in reality he has more than a few years ahead of him. Think he was just never as good as people thought.

He was becoming too good for Scotland (unless involved in Europe) and i'd be surprised if he  wasn't a better player now.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

3 wasted years IMO.

Wouldn't go that far. he's certainly grown, learnt a lot, his game has developed and he has skills and knowledge now that he didn't have before. He's a more rounded player with less weaknesses.

Will be very interesting to see he goes, I don't think Spain is out of the question.

Robertson, Armstrong, Gauld

2 have played and become better players

1 has sat in a b side, on bench

every young player should be asking his agent "will I play"

if the answer not yes, don't move

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Robertson, Armstrong, Gauld

2 have played and become better players

1 has sat in a b side, on bench

every young player should be asking his agent "will I play"

if the answer not yes, don't move

Gauld may well have become a better player. We'll find out next season.

far too early and easy to write him off, he's only 21 and i'm sure training with the Sporting Lisbon first team and being involved in and around a top European team for 3 years has benefited him in many ways. Agree very far from ideal the amount of game time he's had and at the time I thought it was too big a move for him

However unlike many other Scots (O'Connor, Riordan, Allan and the rest of the conveyor belt of them) this fella seems to have the right attitude and work effort and if he makes the right move in the summer could easily be in our squad in the coming years

For one I wish him the best of luck in his next move  

1 hour ago, borojock said:

far too early and easy to write him off, he's only 21 and i'm sure training with the Sporting Lisbon first team and being involved in and around a top European team for 3 years has benefited him in many ways. Agree very far from ideal the amount of game time he's had and at the time I thought it was too big a move for him

However unlike many other Scots (O'Connor, Riordan, Allan and the rest of the conveyor belt of them) this fella seems to have the right attitude and work effort and if he makes the right move in the summer could easily be in our squad in the coming years

I concur with all of that.

He was never going to make it at Sporting Lisbon, the same way that Gilmour (who will now not surface again until he is too old to play for the Chelsea youth team and he will be farmed out to the likes of Brentford) will not make it at Chelsea.  Getting fed up of players who have bags of potential moving to clubs that are too big for them (at that particular time in their career).

We need our young players to stay at their parent clubs longer, get more games under their belts and build their career gradually, instead of chasing the dream at the first signs of promise.  the problem that we have is the lack of wages that our clubs (outside Celtic and possibly Rangers can offer).

We should look at our great masters in Doncaster & Regan to change our league structure, and attract more revenue streams into our game (I know with those 2 we are asking too much) - thus giving our clubs more money to keep a hold of their good young players for longer and allowing them to flourish withion our own leagues, before moving onto to bigger and better things.  A pipe-dream maybe, but you never know.

Gauld is a player with incredible ability. at 17yo he was light years ahead of most of his team mates at dundee united. and the hopeless manager at the time.

I'm sure his time in portugal has been a good learning experience but he needs 1st team football, preferably not in a hoofball club.

On 12/05/2017 at 9:35 PM, borojock said:

Sporting Lisbon a top European side?

Don't think so. 

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

compared to Hull, they're a top European side

but that's the point

he should never have gone there

Disagree. Also rans in a pretty poor league. Lost 3-1 this weekend to Belenrses.

I think Celtic would beat Sporting Lisbon. 

Bit of a strange one this.

Played 38 times for the B team last season as a 19-20 year old...had good reports etc. Looked like he would start this season in the first team but he was farmed out to a mid table team in the top league. 

Started getting impressive reports from Setubal around December time. Managed to watch the cup game against Sporting...he was by far Setubal's best player, seemed to be playing as a centre midfielder rather than an attacking one. 

Sporting then had a falling out with Setubal (apparently because Setubal played Sporting loan players against them in a cup tie) and took Gauld back in January. 

Gauld was then in limbo for a month, Sporting wanted to loan him to Chaves (another mid table top league club) but the Portuguese league ruled against it. 

He was then linked with Young Boys in Switzerland but media reports indicated that Gauld didn't want to go and instead wanted to stay at Sporting to force his way into the first team. 

Since then he's been in the first team bench once (?) and didn't come on. Their manager clearly doesn't fancy him. 

Instead he's played a handful of games for the B team since March time. I haven't read of any reports of him impressing and watched a game where he was anonymous. 

I think there's a bit of both involved here. Gauld hasn't impressed the Sporting staff enough and I'm sure Gauld isn't happy after being mucked around. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he leaves and does well at another decent level club and get multiple Scotland caps, he's definitely got something. But you get the feeling he'll never turn into the player we wanted him to when he was at Dundee United. 

11 hours ago, Marky said:

Sporting Lisbon a top European side?

Don't think so. 

Speaking relative its the best team any of our players play for. Last season the Portuguese league was ranked 5th best in Europe believe it or not higher than the SPL and English championship by a far distance. Last two seasons finished 2nd and 3rd both seasons qualifying for the Champions League. Some very good players that play for that team and moved to good teams in recent seasons.  

On 13/05/2017 at 0:30 AM, scoobydoo said:

Gauld is a player with incredible ability. at 17yo he was light years ahead of most of his team mates at dundee united. and the hopeless manager at the time.

I'm sure his time in portugal has been a good learning experience but he needs 1st team football, preferably not in a hoofball club.

Always amazed how McNamara is just branded an absolute failure at united. Yes, it did go wrong and it was always going to be impossible to recover when it was uncovered he was incentivised to sell on players. However, he was also responsible for the best football I ever seen at united, mostly with young Scottish talent. There was a while it was an absolute pleasure to be a united fan and it's a shame thats forgotten. Of Gauld, when he was really breaking through I remember McNamara talking about him, im sure he said he was the best player at that age he had ever seen. Along with all the other people who were talking about him, there was too much potential to believe he won't make it now, albeit I'd hoped he'd be the main man in the Scotland team by now. Let's hope his next move is the right one.