Gauld leaving Sporting - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gauld leaving Sporting

er yir macaroon

On 5/14/2017 at 6:44 PM, Paulo2576 said:

Always amazed how McNamara is just branded an absolute failure at united. Yes, it did go wrong and it was always going to be impossible to recover when it was uncovered he was incentivised to sell on players. However, he was also responsible for the best football I ever seen at united, mostly with young Scottish talent. There was a while it was an absolute pleasure to be a united fan and it's a shame thats forgotten. Of Gauld, when he was really breaking through I remember McNamara talking about him, im sure he said he was the best player at that age he had ever seen. Along with all the other people who were talking about him, there was too much potential to believe he won't make it now, albeit I'd hoped he'd be the main man in the Scotland team by now. Let's hope his next move is the right one. 

United were playing well in spite of McNamara. He was clueless as to how to change a game. His Plan B was the same as Plan A.

Getting beat in the Scottish Cup Final from St Johnstone, (where I think Gauld was on the bench) and not knowing how to change anything should have been a sackable offence.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/05/2017 at 0:01 AM, WeLuvIrnBru said:

He was never going to make it at Sporting Lisbon, the same way that Gilmour (who will now not surface again until he is too old to play for the Chelsea youth team and he will be farmed out to the likes of Brentford) will not make it at Chelsea.  Getting fed up of players who have bags of potential moving to clubs that are too big for them (at that particular time in their career).

We need our young players to stay at their parent clubs longer, get more games under their belts and build their career gradually, instead of chasing the dream at the first signs of promise.  the problem that we have is the lack of wages that our clubs (outside Celtic and possibly Rangers can offer).

We should look at our great masters in Doncaster & Regan to change our league structure, and attract more revenue streams into our game (I know with those 2 we are asking too much) - thus giving our clubs more money to keep a hold of their good young players for longer and allowing them to flourish withion our own leagues, before moving onto to bigger and better things.  A pipe-dream maybe, but you never know.

Nothing worse than players with ambition.

2 hours ago, deecie said:

Nothing worse than players with ambition.

Absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, but he never did have the talent to succeed in the Sporting Lisbon at a young age.  Fed up with players chasing the money and us losing years on outstanding quality (at our level).  Take the reverse of this - Andrew Robertson.  He was released by Celtic, he then built his career up gradually by making the correct choices - starting at the bottom with Queen's Park, Going to Dundee United and then Hull, all knowing that he had the relevant experience to make it at his new level - he is on the verge now of a £10m+ move to Liverpool, and I for one would not bet against him succeeding there if he does chose to move there - the difference?  164+ first team matches under his belt already at the age of 23 and crucially building his career and reputation along the way.

Ryan Gauld's career has not developed at all whilst in Portugual, for this you need first team football.

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

23 minutes ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with ambition, but he never did have the talent to succeed in the Sporting Lisbon at a young age.  Fed up with players chasing the money and us losing years on outstanding quality (at our level).  Take the reverse of this - Andrew Robertson.  He was released by Celtic, he then built his career up gradually by making the correct choices - starting at the bottom with Queen's Park, Going to Dundee United and then Hull, all knowing that he had the relevant experience to make it at his new level - he is on the verge now of a £10m+ move to Liverpool, and I for one would not bet against him succeeding there if he does chose to move there - the difference?  164+ first team matches under his belt already at the age of 23 and crucially building his career and reputation along the way.

Ryan Gauld's career has not developed at all whilst in Portugual, for this you need first team football.

Seriously ?!  He was/is a brilliant young talent who was unusually open minded and took the rare chance of going abroad.

Not chasing money but trying to develop (unlikely so many others in Scotland).

It hasn't worked out for him but he should be applauded for having the guts and brains to try it.

41 minutes ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

So you're telling kids not to try because they might fail?

If Sporting Lisbon come in for you, you sign for them. If they'd come in for Robertson the same time that Hull were chasing him he would have gone too.

Your backwards attitude is what's killing Scottish football.

23 minutes ago, deecie said:

If Sporting Lisbon come in for you, you sign for them. If they'd come in for Robertson the same time that Hull were chasing him he would have gone too.

Sounds about right

36 minutes ago, deecie said:

if Robertson had also gone to sporting lisboa, he would also have rotted on their bench for 3 years, maybe never becoming the player he is today

Just now, Bino's said:

if Robertson had also gone to sporting lisboa, he would also have rotted on their bench for 3 years, maybe never becoming the player he is today

No, he would have moved on to Real and won the Champions League.

I can make up stuff to prove my point too.

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

And how do you know that ?

And how does that compare to all those young Scottish players who left to join Championship English clubs to fail ? 

Robertson is a fantastic exception and I'm delighted for him, but to somehow have people here criticising Gauld for taking the chance abroad is ludicrous.

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

go abroad to somewhere you've got a chance of playing, to then get better

sit on the bench anywhere and don't develop

I'm sure that was the plan.

Easy to say with hindsight.

9 hours ago, Bino's said:

If he had tits he'd have been playing for United Ladies. 

Sporting clearly thought Gauld was good enough at the time and they'd be the best judges.  Multiple changes of manager hasn't helped the wee man, and the fiasco of his loan to Vitoria Setubal - he hasn't had the breaks.  But he's no daft, I still have confidence he'll play for Scotland and probably as soon as he's playing first team football.  

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

Sporting clearly thought Gauld was good enough at the time and they'd be the best judges.  Multiple changes of manager hasn't helped the wee man, and the fiasco of his loan to Vitoria Setubal - he hasn't had the breaks.  But he's no daft, I still have confidence he'll play for Scotland and probably as soon as he's playing first team football.  

I tend to agree. If he selects the right club he'll be in the full squad fairly quickly. His next problem would be dislodging Armstrong from the central attacking midfielder role.

He's only 21, plenty of time for him to develop. I agree he needs to go somewhere he will play regularly. English Championship or another move within Europe. I can't see him coming back to Scotland until he has given it a crack elsewhere.

Also the Andrew Robertson comparison isn't fair as Robertson is two and a half years older than Gauld so further on in his development. Good on the lad for taking the move to Portugal, looked right at the time. I hope he picks himself up and progresses.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

I disagree. Sporting thought Gauld might be good enough at some point but they didn't think he was good enough, for them, at the time of signing him. If they had then they wouldn't have sent him straight to the B team. £3m was a gamble for them in the hope that at some point he would be good enough for the their first team. He hasn't been, so far, and it looks like they have now decided he won't be good enough long term if they are willing to let him leave.

I don't have any criticism of young lads going abroad to try and better themselves. However if I was offered that sort of move, or any sort of move in fact, at 18/19 year old the first question I would be asking is "Are you going to play me?". I do think at that age the most important point for a young players development is not where he is playing but if he is playing. He should be Scotland player at 21.

23 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Getting beat in the Scottish Cup Final from St Johnstone, (where I think Gauld was on the bench) and not knowing how to change anything should have been a sackable offence.

United fan in living on early 80s glory shockaroonie. A better team beat you on the day. You sound like an Old Firm fan with that arrogance.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

United fan in living on early 80s glory shockaroonie. A better team beat you on the day. You sound like an Old Firm fan with that arrogance.

Totally agree.  United just couldn't handle Saints that whole season really, a 4-0 at Tannadice apart.

To want the guy sacked after the football they'd played that year because he lost a cup final is harsh to say the least.

18 hours ago, Ormond said:

Normally I'd agree but I was there that day and second his sentiment. St Johnstone’s game plan worked but United’s didn’t and it was obvious that a couple of changes could have changed things but Jackie stuck to the same plan that wasn’t working. Better team won on the day is fair enough, they had a better plan.

2 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Normally I'd agree but I was there that day and second his sentiment. St Johnstone’s game plan worked but United’s didn’t and it was obvious that a couple of changes could have changed things but Jackie stuck to the same plan that wasn’t working. Better team won on the day is fair enough, they had a better plan.

You've just contradicted yourself. You said normally you'd agree but then go on at the end to agree. A better team won on the day.

22 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I disagree. Sporting thought Gauld might be good enough at some point but they didn't think he was good enough, for them, at the time of signing him. If they had then they wouldn't have sent him straight to the B team. £3m was a gamble for them in the hope that at some point he would be good enough for the their first team. He hasn't been, so far, and it looks like they have now decided he won't be good enough long term if they are willing to let him leave.

I don't have any criticism of young lads going abroad to try and better themselves. However if I was offered that sort of move, or any sort of move in fact, at 18/19 year old the first question I would be asking is "Are you going to play me?". I do think at that age the most important point for a young players development is not where he is playing but if he is playing. He should be Scotland player at 21.

this is the point in a nutshell...am I gong to play?

this could have been ascertained at the time of the move by asking...and probably was, he was gong straight into the b team

at 18 you need to be playing, some scotland players have benefitted in their careers, eg robertson, steven fletcher, by finding the right level they would play at, progress and then have lucrative moves in the future

back in the old days any team had a squad of 14, now by making the wrong decision, or syaying too long at your boyhood heroes club,  you can waste years at a club, often vital young years sitting on the bench

not good for the player footballingwise, or long term financially...or for scotland

Edited by Bino's