Rangers withdraw from Development League - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers withdraw from Development League

RANGERS tonight announced that they have withdrawn from the Development League for season 2017/18. Instead the Ibrox club will organise a series of friendly matches against English and European opposition in an attempt to fast track younger players into the Rangers first team.

Head of Academy, Craig Mulholland, has been given the green light by the SPFL and also has received the permission of the SFA with the new Performance Director, Malky MacKay signaling his approval.

Rangers will not withdraw from the domestic game entirely as they will be participating at under-20s level in the Scottish FA Youth Cup and SPFL Challenge Cup.

However Rangers hope to attract glamour matches against the like of Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Southampton and hope that these sides will be able to provide a decent challenge for the young Ibrox stars of the very near future.

And it won’t just be the top English sides that could end up face to face with the the young Gers. Top European clubs such as Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Liepzig and Bayern Munich could all be pitching up in Glasgow next season to pit their wits against the finest young players to emerge from Murray Park.

Continues http://www.scotzine.com/2017/05/rangers-officially-withdraw-from-development-league/

I can't see all these clubs taking time out their schedules to play friendlies against Rangers.

I also think it is bad for the development of players at both Rangers and the rest of Scotland.

Edited by PASTA Mick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can't see all these clubs taking time out their schedules to play friendlies against Rangers.

I'd assume that Rangers haven't just done this on a whim and have spoken to a number of three clubs and have a commitment that they will send teams over, or that they'll host Rangers. Especially if the SFA have signed off on it. Still not sure it's the right lmove though. 

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm serious. 

Rangers can't afford to run a Development team.

Only in your head. We are still running teams at all age groups. Our U20 team will still compete in both cup competitions. I doubt the development league will exist in a couple of years. 

Edited by EddardStark

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Only in your head. We are still running teams at all age groups. Our U20 team will still compete in both cup competitions. I doubt the development league will exist in a couple of years. 

Development league getting scrapped next season. Going to U18s and reserves.

5 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I predict Armageddon.

5 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I doubt the development league will exist in a couple of years. 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Development league getting scrapped next season. Going to U18s and reserves.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I predict Armageddon.

:lol:

beat me to it!

The development league needs a strong Rangers!

10 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm serious. 

Rangers can't afford to run a Development team.

Have to disagree Scotty. for as long as individuals are willing to pump millions of soft loans into the club then rangers can afford to do all of these things. they will only be in trouble if that stops. bit like my own club actually.

14 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

...those who believe...

In this case, despite King claiming that he would spend his children's inheritance, he hasn't put in penny one.

No, of course I don't have any 'belief' in what he says and find it amazing that anyone does.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

In this case, despite King claiming that he would spend his children's inheritance, he hasn't put in penny one.

No, of course I don't have any 'belief' in what he says and find it amazing that anyone does.

We appreciate your concern.