Anyone Had Rats in the Hoose? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone Had Rats in the Hoose?

:shocked:

I've had mice before - twice.  I sort of expect that considering where we live.  You hear scratching in the attic, put poison down, noises stop, job done.  You never even see the wee furry bastirts - they just crawl away somewhere and die.

However, my mrs woke me the other night cos there was this almighty racket in the attic.  I keep a tub of poison up there so went up to put some out only to find it lying on its side with a big feck off hole in the lid and the contents scattered over the insulation.  I suppose the good news is that it's obviously gorged itself silly on the poison but the bad news is that things are way different from when we had mice - no droppings lying about randomly like you'd expect.  Also, the mice waited for you to poison them whereas this thing has gone searching for the stuff itself.  This makes me think I've got something much worse than mice.

Anyone experienced this?  There's no evidence at all of anything in the house living area.  When we had mice before it was in the winter so I'm amazed something's came in during the warmer weather.  Is it likely to be a rogue or some female looking to have a wee litter of ratlets?  I'm not really sure what to do - give it a few days since it's obviously eaten poison or get pest control in?

(Getting a cat is not an option.  My mrs is allergic and I fkin hate the things.)

Only had mice in the house - Field mice to be exact

There are Rats about due to them reopening the railway line out my way but there hasnt been any reports of house infestation

We have plenty foxes too which will be a balancer

Only advice is - If you have mice you wont have rats

And it might still be a mouse you have

Edited by Ally Bongo

9 minutes ago, daviebee said:

:shocked:

I've had mice before - twice.  I sort of expect that considering where we live.  You hear scratching in the attic, put poison down, noises stop, job done.  You never even see the wee furry bastirts - they just crawl away somewhere and die.

However, my mrs woke me the other night cos there was this almighty racket in the attic.  I keep a tub of poison up there so went up to put some out only to find it lying on its side with a big feck off hole in the lid and the contents scattered over the insulation.  I suppose the good news is that it's obviously gorged itself silly on the poison but the bad news is that things are way different from when we had mice - no droppings lying about randomly like you'd expect.  Also, the mice waited for you to poison them whereas this thing has gone searching for the stuff itself.  This makes me think I've got something much worse than mice.

Anyone experienced this?  There's no evidence at all of anything in the house living area.  When we had mice before it was in the winter so I'm amazed something's came in during the warmer weather.  Is it likely to be a rogue or some female looking to have a wee litter of ratlets?  I'm not really sure what to do - give it a few days since it's obviously eaten poison or get pest control in?

(Getting a cat is not an option.  My mrs is allergic and I fkin hate the things.)

You kill mice so no telling you.

As an aside - Voles (field mice) are magic

We had a family of them under the garden hut - and they take no shit if cornered

I had mice in the house a few years ago and managed to eliminate them with poison.  After several years I again found a mouse wandering round the house and put down new traps.  Not found a dead mouse yet but it appears to have gone.  If they die in the house the smell is quite strong so you can usually find them.  I once had to extract one from under the fitted kitchen units.  Better to do it as quickly as possible as they sort of rot into the floorboards if left too long.  Used to trap them and release them lalive but you need to take them about a mile away and preferably over water or they just reappear.

58 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Only advice is - If you have mice you wont have rats

Well, he killed all the mice, so maybe this is karma?:lol:

Are you confident this is correct or is it an auld wife tale?

Most folk will have had rats in or around their house at some point and didn't even know about it. There is a good chance they are there right now, sleeping away, just waiting to come out after darkness. 

12 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

I use the Vermatik Ultrasonic repellers and they seen to be effective in the loft, though if they do also annoy the weans. We've one in the loft, one in the garage and 2 in the rest of  the house.

Weans?!

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you confident this is correct or is it an auld wife tale?

Did you ask that in a Chris Tarrant voice ?

Mice and Rats dont interact - unless they have had a few lagers

Rats usually engage in "Muricide" and Mice get stressed by the presence of rat odour

Laboratory tests confirm Old Wives were right on this one

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

As an aside - Voles (field mice) are magic

We had a family of them under the garden hut - and they take no shit if cornered

Voles and Field mice are different species. Voles have short tails, mice longer tails :ok:

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Did you ask that in a Chris Tarrant voice ?

Mice and Rats dont interact - unless they have had a few lagers

Rats usually engage in "Muricide" and Mice get stressed by the presence of rat odour

Laboratory tests confirm Old Wives were right on this one

I'm away to phone a friend. He's a rat catcher.

16 minutes ago, jailender said:

Voles and Field mice are different species. Voles have short tails, mice longer tails :ok:

Confident ?

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you live in Yankland?

I believe there is no such species as a field mouse

Field mouse is a generic term for a variety of mice

Final answer

All species of mice come under the genus Mus. Most voles we'd come into contact with are part of the genus Microtus; none is in Mus.

There's no point trying to classify living things in the vernacular, it's just messy.

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I believe there is no such species as a field mouse

Field mouse is a generic term for a variety of mice

Final answer

I believe the yanks call voles "field mice" whereas we just call them "voles". 

I think a "field mouse" in the UK is just a mouse which happens to be in a field. It could be a wood, harvest or house mouse. As you say "field mouse" isn't a recognised species.

Species classification could change a lot in the next few years with advances in genetic profiling. Which could confuse us even more.

The fact that Yanks speak a different language doesn't help.

10 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

All species of mice come under the genus Mus. Most voles we'd come into contact with are part of the genus Microtus; none is in Mus.

There's no point trying to classify living things in the vernacular, it's just messy.

Arvicola amphibious? 

6 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

But no one's going to confuse a water vole with a mouse - with a rat maybe, if you're Kenneth Grahame.

No idea who he is. We used to call them water rats.

I still use the terms peezies, bonksies and hedge sparrow amongst others. I'm not changing just because some geezer decided to give them Latin names.:lol: