Anyone Had Rats in the Hoose? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone Had Rats in the Hoose?

12 hours ago, daviebee said:

:shocked:

I've had mice before - twice.  I sort of expect that considering where we live.  You hear scratching in the attic, put poison down, noises stop, job done.  You never even see the wee furry bastirts - they just crawl away somewhere and die.

However, my mrs woke me the other night cos there was this almighty racket in the attic.  I keep a tub of poison up there so went up to put some out only to find it lying on its side with a big feck off hole in the lid and the contents scattered over the insulation.  I suppose the good news is that it's obviously gorged itself silly on the poison but the bad news is that things are way different from when we had mice - no droppings lying about randomly like you'd expect.  Also, the mice waited for you to poison them whereas this thing has gone searching for the stuff itself.  This makes me think I've got something much worse than mice.

Anyone experienced this?  There's no evidence at all of anything in the house living area.  When we had mice before it was in the winter so I'm amazed something's came in during the warmer weather.  Is it likely to be a rogue or some female looking to have a wee litter of ratlets?  I'm not really sure what to do - give it a few days since it's obviously eaten poison or get pest control in?

(Getting a cat is not an option.  My mrs is allergic and I fkin hate the things.)

had a rat under the floor boards in a first floor bedroom in my mthers house , the brother and I were

a - scared shitless,

b feckin useless in trying to catch/kill it  ( think 3 stooges less 1 stooge)

thank god for a sister in law who worked for environmental health who sorted it no time. She did say they genuinely avoid humans though if cornered all bets are off  

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Species classification could change a lot in the next few years with advances in genetic profiling. Which could confuse us even more.

It's already happening in avian classification, which appears to be in chaos (or 'in flux', if you prefer). Must be a bummer for all those saddoes who've been chasing 'life lists' to find that one species has now been split into three, or is no longer a species having been lumped into something else.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, daviebee said:

:shocked:

I've had mice before - twice.  I sort of expect that considering where we live.  You hear scratching in the attic, put poison down, noises stop, job done.  You never even see the wee furry bastirts - they just crawl away somewhere and die.

However, my mrs woke me the other night cos there was this almighty racket in the attic.  I keep a tub of poison up there so went up to put some out only to find it lying on its side with a big feck off hole in the lid and the contents scattered over the insulation.  I suppose the good news is that it's obviously gorged itself silly on the poison but the bad news is that things are way different from when we had mice - no droppings lying about randomly like you'd expect.  Also, the mice waited for you to poison them whereas this thing has gone searching for the stuff itself.  This makes me think I've got something much worse than mice.

Anyone experienced this?  There's no evidence at all of anything in the house living area.  When we had mice before it was in the winter so I'm amazed something's came in during the warmer weather.  Is it likely to be a rogue or some female looking to have a wee litter of ratlets?  I'm not really sure what to do - give it a few days since it's obviously eaten poison or get pest control in?

(Getting a cat is not an option.  My mrs is allergic and I fkin hate the things.)

Well after putting poison down and enjoying a few days' peace I thought the problem had been handled.  Then there was more noise so I put down more poison.  When it was taken too I put down what I expected to be a final batch, thinking it would be untouched and provide proof that my visitors had gone to that drainpipe in the sky.

Monday morning, went through the kitchen and thought, "That's weird - why has that roll of kitchen towels been knocked over?  And why is that bag that contained 11 wee bags of Cadbury mini eggs now got feck all left???"  :shocked: 

Emailed my mrs who swore she never touched them and was I sure the bag had been nearly full, especially since the fkin thing was still upright!  :lol:  This messed with my head all day but there were deffo 11 bags left.  I know cos I opened the 12-pack bag on Sunday and took one out for a snack while watching Hamilton v Dundee Utd.

She was unconvinced and thought I was having a senior moment so I left another bag out containing mini Wispas in the same place that night.  Undisturbed next morning but today the towel roll was knocked over again and all the chocolate gone!

What kind of fat bstrd rodent isn't satisfied by 11 bags of mini eggs and needs to come back for more a couple of days later??!!  :shocked: 

Got the pros coming out tomorrow anyway.  Feck going near that attic again!  :lol:

Do you have a Wife? Parkie and I got one. Not between us obviously. But a Wife keeps them away. Rats hate it when your Wife is on the rag, or in McTeeko's case, when Aberdeen's playing at hame(seeing as he had never heard that saying before).

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

Well after putting poison down and enjoying a few days' peace I thought the problem had been handled.  Then there was more noise so I put down more poison.  When it was taken too I put down what I expected to be a final batch, thinking it would be untouched and provide proof that my visitors had gone to that drainpipe in the sky.

Monday morning, went through the kitchen and thought, "That's weird - why has that roll of kitchen towels been knocked over?  And why is that bag that contained 11 wee bags of Cadbury mini eggs now got feck all left???"  :shocked: 

Emailed my mrs who swore she never touched them and was I sure the bag had been nearly full, especially since the fkin thing was still upright!  :lol:  This messed with my head all day but there were deffo 11 bags left.  I know cos I opened the 12-pack bag on Sunday and took one out for a snack while watching Hamilton v Dundee Utd.

She was unconvinced and thought I was having a senior moment so I left another bag out containing mini Wispas in the same place that night.  Undisturbed next morning but today the towel roll was knocked over again and all the chocolate gone!

What kind of fat bstrd rodent isn't satisfied by 11 bags of mini eggs and needs to come back for more a couple of days later??!!  :shocked: 

Got the pros coming out tomorrow anyway.  Feck going near that attic again!  :lol:

One of the best ways to attract rats and mice is to leave food lying about for them.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, daviebee said:

Pest control helpfully said I've got mice, threw a big bag of poison in the attic and another behind the fridge.  The guy was hardly out the door when I heard this huge feck off bag of poison getting dragged away behind the kitchen units.  :shocked:

I thought, "Right, feck this," got on Amazon and got the nastiest bstrd of a rat trap - not the super model but the ULTRA super model that snaps shut like a fkin alligator.  Last night off it goes accompanied by some hideous squealing.  Job done, get up in the morning, dispose of the corpse, no problem except the wee sod had dragged the trap about and somehow got out leaving just a wee bit of white fur.

So I have something in the hoose that's totally immune to poison, in fact it seems to thrive on the stuff after a few weeks.  It's big enough to knock over a full box of cereal yet agile enough to dip again and again into a bag full  of mini chocolate eggs without knocking the main bag over.  It can drag away a heavy bag of poison and free itself from one of the most evil traps on the market.  :shocked:

Tempted to move oot and just let it have the place.  :lol: