Glasgow - The World's Greatest City - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glasgow - The World's Greatest City

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is Glasgow (Georgie Sq in particular) on a hot, sunny day not just the finest place to be on earth ?

Embra, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth - can you beat it ?

Don't you love Glasgow ?

I'm bored, so let's see who bites shall we ?

At least Georgie Square (I love that you have a pet name for it) isn't red tarmac anymore. My city centre is awful, it looks like this

Image result for Arthur's seatImage result for edinburgh castle

Oh, and we're trusted to drink in the street without causing a fight or pishing our breeks.

Edited by biffer

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

At least Georgie Square (I love that you have a pet name for it) isn't red tarmac anymore. My city centre is awful, it looks like this

Image result for edinburgh castle

Oh, and we're trusted to drink in the street without causing a fight or pishing our breeks.

Your amazing landmark normally has a Union Jack on it though. Puts me right off. 

Glasgow is a good city that has the potential to be a great city but so many opportunities have been missed as a result of those miserable c unts in the city chambers that unfortunately mean its still behind Edinburgh at present. 

I do have genuine hope though that the new council may realise its potential. Its got lots going for it, but it needs to be utilised correctly.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Your amazing landmark normally has a Union Jack on it though. Puts me right off. 

I met my Wife when I was on the sauce in Edinburgh for the weekend. She tried to drag me to Edinburgggg Caaaastle. I walked to the esplanade then told her to go in while I went for a pint. I explained the reason. She called me sad. We got pished, I bawed her shortly after and as Begbie says, that wis that! 

3 hours ago, Reevesy said:

Both good but Glasgow has the better nightlife I'd say, plus you don't need to hear "that accent" when you're through here.

The one I just posted about on pusbook? :lol:

It may not be the world's greatest but easily Scotland's greatest and possibly only city. Easily.

For example does the so called capital have an underground? ;)bHow can you call yourself a city never mind a great one without one. How. All cities of great stature have an underground. But ok then... what about a commuter rail network? If anyone is saying a town served only by buses can ever qualify as a city or a great one they are wrong and making a fool out of themselves.

Glasgow is Scotland's one and only great city. Edinburgh is more a big town with a stick on tram to make it look bigger. Aberdeen is a fishing village on oil steroids. Dundee is probably bigger if you take the steroids out the picture.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is Glasgow (Georgie Sq in particular) on a hot, sunny day not just the finest place to be on earth

I'm bored, so let's see who bites shall we ?

The day after the Slovenia game was a cracking day and I had a few hours to burn in Glasgow. I just sat in george square people watching. It was most enjoyable relaxing and taking in the rays.

There was the mature ned with the portable tunes listening to some 90's techno.
There was the strange boy who walked round in circles for 2 hours.
There was white van man double parked arguing with the traffic warden.
The guy feeding the pigeons.
The folk pissed off at the guy feeding the pigeons.
The wheelchair guy who went round the whole square begging.

Geo_Sq2017.jpg

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

It may not be the world's greatest but easily Scotland's greatest and possibly only city. Easily.

For example does the so called capital have an underground? ;)bHow can you call yourself a city never mind a great one without one. How. All cities of great stature have an underground. But ok then... what about a commuter rail network? If anyone is saying a town served only by buses can ever qualify as a city or a great one they are wrong and making a fool out of themselves.

Glasgow is Scotland's one and only great city. Edinburgh is more a big town with a stick on tram to make it look bigger. Aberdeen is a fishing village on oil steroids. Dundee is probably bigger if you take the steroids out the picture.

We might have an underground, but the rest of the transport infrastructure for a city of our size is pathetic.

2 hours ago, Big Col said:

The day after the Slovenia game was a cracking day and I had a few hours to burn in Glasgow. I just sat in george square people watching. It was most enjoyable relaxing and taking in the rays.

There was the mature ned with the portable tunes listening to some 90's techno.
There was the strange boy who walked round in circles for 2 hours.
There was white van man double parked arguing with the traffic warden.
The guy feeding the pigeons.
The folk pissed off at the guy feeding the pigeons.
The wheelchair guy who went round the whole square begging.

I'll have you know that I had feck all else to do for two hours and it was far too nice a day to be indoors !

And I'll have a word with Dad about feeding the pigeons but he's got such a soft spot for animals you see.

Did you not give the wee wheelchair beggar man 50p for drugs a cup of tea then ?

Having lived in both Glasgow and Edinburgh, they are both great cities. That said Edinburgh is much the nicer of the two to live in. Neither can hold a candle to the world's great cities though. George Square in the sunshine is to be enjoyed (I remember years - decades probably - ago they used to have a Warsteiner beer garden/tent there sometimes, which I used to enjoy going along to), although the neds can be an issue.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Chicago doesn't have an underground....

Redz or Orraloon will be along to tell me how dare I say that.

Edited by Ormond

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Glasgow has never apologised for building itself up by way of the slave trade. A disgraceful history which the city has never acknowledged. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/13799993.How_the_slave_trade_shaped_Glasgow

True, Glasgow however was the city that was at the centre of the anti apartheid movement. Led by example when others were happy to sit back.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

True, Glasgow however was the city that was at the centre of the anti apartheid movement. Led by example when others were happy to sit back.

Deflection, deflection. Typically Glasgow 'Ah, but...'

Oh, and there was an equal amount of anti-apartheid campaigning in Edinburgh http://africanactivist.msu.edu/organization.php?name=Anti-Apartheid+Movement%3A+Scottish+Committee

Edited by biffer